Anti-Malware Comparison 2009

manpe

A friend of mine, who is a security expert, conducted a test including anti-spyware/malware programs. The test is unbiased, I can confirm it.

PS the most important parts are 2 and 3.

Compared products:

IObit Security 360

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Windows Defender

SUPERAntiSpyware

Ad-Aware Free

Spyware Doctor

Spybot - S&D

1-2-3 Spyware Free

Spyware Terminator

Advanced System Protector

a-squared Free

Download

http://www.mediafire.com/?tharzmmmeuh

• Replies 51
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a-squared has the best detection rate but little higher resource usage and slower speed. I'll give it a try. I was surprised that MBAM has just 25.4% detection rate. And as I was always saying Spybot sucks.

Cheers ;)

• Administrator

Thanx manpe. After reading the report fully, I believe mara- is right. But I also feel the MBAM is great allround. It's like, my PC may not run a-squared that well as MBAM. So will it be more useful to me than MBAM, I don't think so, MBAM does the job very well for me, I may stick for it for a while. ANW good report. ;)

I have one problem with the comparison..

Spybot Search & Destroy is not even in the same category as the rest of this software..It has the ability to lock various things and even add filters, reveals system startup entries and DLL files...Looks for invalid Installers..reveals information about the BHO's, ActiveX, Winsock LSP's, Hosts file, shreds files, Immunizes ( by adding known threats to be denied in your hosts file ) .. Uses a Tea Timer and Resident to aide with prevention of these items in IE8..AND it will clean registry entries left by malware and installations...

BUT.. it is not malware file scanner... ( reason it nails 0, over and over in a test created for such.. ).. great companion to known methods of protection and cleaning..( and is sometimes necessary )....

Therefore, no offense but I question the very validity of the test done as the tester does not even properly know what the software does.. therefore.. how can a proper test be done? Even of the programs in that category...Now maybe its just me but where do the rest of the programs stand in what they are used for.. I used to use a-squared .. so I know what it is...Do the rest of the programs fall into the same category as a-squared.. or as Spybot? Spybot does not belong in this test..

Here are some notes from the tester:

A-squared has an antivirus engine. The 1st test was specialized on everything including viruses.. That's why it outperformed everybody else.

The 2nd and 3rd tests were based solely on spyware and trojans. There MBAM cleaned the table. According to him only a-squared, iobit and mbam did well... everything else pretty much failed. And also MBAM is meant for already infected computers, not real-time protection in which a-squared is far better.

@Heath - the test was more personal, I just decided to share it with you. That's why it may have programs chosen only by taste of the tester.

Okay personal for personal info is fine.. I understand that note.. but why include something that s not in the correct category and misinform even yourself..UNLESS this is not a test of 'Anti-Malware Comparison 2009' ... But more of ONE extra program to add to your tools...( with that limitation of only adding one extra program )..

Have you mentioned anything like this to your friend? Or has it been considered?

He did a good job with the PDF file and thoroughly documenting it.. It looks professional enough.. Its the content itself which seems like something is 'OFF' so to speak as it may to others as well..Which may make people think twice about the test..

@heath28m:

Each to his own ;)

And regarding Spybot, at least some people will know what it's only capable of.

Sorry heath28m, I don't know why you defend so much Spybot when it sucks. Just create folder Security in Program Files and Spybot will show it as malware. It also has unreasonable way of classifying malware. It detected Reg Cleaner as malware which I'm 100% sure that it's not and I used it for a long time on XP. I contacted Spybot support and they answered me that that company is known to deliver spyware and they just classified every their software as malware without checking if it is for real. And it's the only software that detects this software as malware. And as it is already mentioned in this test, it has outdated detection method. I mean, come on, it looks in known locations??? Malwares can spread everywhere now.

Cheers ;)

EDIT: And yes, it's same category. It's primary function is to remove malware. Everything else is just extra options.

Okay well argue that point with the software creators.. I am simply stating the factual information... Proper look into the program would show you.. even in the description of its tools.. Which incidentally you can accomplish its main function with a good REGISTRY CLEANER..

Done with it .. right here..In fact to even analyze files you have to download another program created by Safer Networking..

Its not defense BTW.. nor an opinion..to be clear..

I prefer to get infected than wait 4 days for a-squared to complete a scan. LOL

:rofl:

don't mind me, I'm just posting some :spam:.

Hello

Interesting. Thank you !

It is true that the test is a bit unbalanced (for exemple : A2 Pro => AV Engine)

Disappointed by the outcome of SUPERAntiSpyware ... :nono:

Not surprised by the result of Spybot :x

++

A-squared is quite good .. I used to use it for individual scans..back when I was testing for myself or in question of my AV at the time being the best it could be..that and Sunbelt Counterspy.. I used those two for quite a while, along side a few more programs they had...and I had ISS BlackICE firewall..

Hmmm....a-square has an additional process...a2service.exe that refuse to go away after shutting it down.

It took up an average 70% of CPU which is quite a lot.

Effectiveness is good though.

Still....uninstall it.

IMHO all anti-spyware/malware application are getting...well, useless.

Now, all modern antivirus applications contain a decent anti-malware module integrated so having a separate anti-malware application is either redundant or just plain paranoid :D

having a separate anti-malware application is either redundant or just plain paranoid :D

+1 And having a decent AV + HIPS + common sense is all you need ;)

a-squared has an excellent detection rate

pity it sees my bsplayer as a minor threat wtf?

A-squared is quite good .. I used to use it for individual scans..back when I was testing for myself or in question of my AV at the time being the best it could be..that and Sunbelt Counterspy.. I used those two for quite a while, along side a few more programs they had...and I had ISS BlackICE firewall..

I remember BlackICE. :D I think that project is dead now though right? Back in the day BlackICE was the firewall of choice, I don't know what happened to them.

@ kotaxor:

strange behavior. I use a-squared free for some time and never experienced this. Maybe there is some incompatibilties with something in your machine. About the process running i heard is needed because with it a-squared can be used in a Limited user account without elevation. But if you want you can use the command line scanner... is easy to use and you can use the windows task sheduler to run sheduled updates and scans.

I not think use 2 or 3 scanners is a bad thing. Is only you take a look at AV-comparatives to understand what i mean.

Avast=98%

Bit defender=97,8%

GDATA (the 2 engines) = 99,8%

One cover the malwares that the other not see. When you work with "know malware" when more signatures you have, better chances. Avira, Avast, kaspersky,bit defender and some others have options to choose what you want install and can be installed how on-demand scanners.

But is only a pov.

Take care

• Administrator

First you need a anti-malware software in addition to the normal AV, it's on you that you wanna keep them on live protection or not(the AM). I've gone through some of the tough to remove, malware, trojan, whatever you may call it. And I have tried many AV's for scannin my PC, there have been many instances when the AV was not able to detect the malware and MalwareBytes detected and removed it successfully. As far as common sense is concerned, yes you need it, it really helps you, but many times common sense doesn't protect you from infections, nor does a AV or a AM, but if we have them all together you can atleast say to yourself that your PC is a bit safe now.

Archived