Windows 10’s Latest Redstone 5 Build Brings New Notepad Features

steven36

By Mehedi Hassan

https://s7d2.turboimg.net/sp/9052e02bc8b226d727b87052cebd1d81/windows-10.jpg

Microsoft has released a new build of Windows 10 Redstone 5 to Insiders today. The latest build, 17713, brings a couple of improvements to Notepad, as well as Microsoft Edge, and some IT Pro features.

In Redstone 5, Microsoft is upgrading Notepad to include some much-requested features. The company earlier added support for line endings to Notepad, and it’s now adding a couple of new features. First up, the Find feature in Notepad now supports wrap around when replacing words, and it also now remembers your preference for all the options so you don’t have to set them everytime you use the feature.

Additionally, when you now select a word and then hit Ctrl+F, the Find dialog will automagically populate the dialog with the selected word for your own convenience. That’s not all — Notepad now supports text zooming with Ctrl + Plus and Ctrl + Minus, which is honestly amazing. And lastly, you can now display line and column numbers with word-wrap enabled, and use Ctrl + Backspace to delete the previous word. It’s also now faster at opening larger files.

https://s7d5.turboimg.net/sp/3000860396c84f1e0336f7dde4600987/b767cced4e2f67782d1c5f3b057ff181.gif

Edge is getting a number of improvements in this update, too. It now lets you set per-site media autoplay permissions from the website identification pane, so you can automatically block media playback on certain sites. The PDF reader includes some design tweaks to make all the different options more understandable, and the PDF toolbar can now be pinned to the top for easier access. It’s also now possible to lookup definitions of words in PDFs, Reading View, and Books.

Build 17713 includes a number of features for IT Pros, and the general fixes — so make sure to checkout the full changelog here. The build is available to Insiders in the Fast Ring right now. In other news, Microsoft is resetting Skip Ahead as it’s nearing the public release of Redstone 5, but it will open up Skip Ahead again in the near future when you will once again be able to join the program, even if you aren’t part of Skip Ahead originally. Finally.

Source

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shitty build, the same as the two previous builds.

Almost all third party AV/IS blocked or crippled imposing windows defender... that's not right...

That makes me wonder if they didn't learn from IE in the past...

4 minutes ago, masterupc said:

Almost all third party AV/IS blocked or crippled imposing windows defender... that's not right...

From Redstone 4 they removed their simple antivirus panel which looked like old Security Essentials. Now MSASCui.exe does not open antivirus. Instead it open control panel antivirus settings! We expect in future removing of Edge browser control and it should look in Metro style on full screen as you control the mobile phone. :lmao:

installing update.......

Pi3ZOlN.png

done updating  :)

7s6if7Z.png

Microsoft is giving its Notepad app for Windows a surprising amount of new features. While the software giant hasn’t updated Notepad for years, the next Windows 10 update will include some highly requested additions. Microsoft is clearly listening to Windows 10 users who use notepad for development, logs, or simple text manipulation.

You’ll soon be able to do wrap around find and replace alongside the ability to zoom into text by holding down the ctrl key and using the mouse wheel to zoom in and out. Microsoft is also adding in extended line ending support so that Unix/Linux line endings (LF) and Macintosh line endings (CR) are supported in Notepad. The status bar will now be enabled by default in Notepad, and it includes the ability to display line and column numbers when word-wrap is enabled.

image.png

Microsoft is also finally adding in ctrl+backspace support to delete a previous word in Notepad, and performance improvements for large files. You can now even search for words on Bing through Notepad by simply right clicking on them to get a new option. Microsoft’s Notepad additions follow the company updating its Windows Console for the first time in 20 years, and the surprise addition of the Linux command line to Windows 10.

These new Notepad features will appear in the update currently codenamed Redstone 5, which is expected to debut later this year. Microsoft is now putting the finishing touches on the next major Windows 10 update, but it won’t include the popular tabs (Sets) feature for File Explorer and other apps.

From: https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/12/17563704/microsoft-windows-notepad-app-update

16 hours ago, masterupc said:

right now with insider editions ,M$ doesn't care about 3rd party AV/IS apps

it's only concerned about it's own apps. you'll have to wait till it's close to being rtm

also defender isn't a bad AV anyway ,in a few years it'll be in the top 5 anyway,if it isn't already

1 minute ago, bigcid10 said:

right now with insider editions ,M$ doesn't care about 3rd party AV/IS apps

it's only concerned about it's own apps. you'll have to wait till it's close to being rtm

also defender isn't a bad AV anyway ,in a few years it'll be in the top 5 anyway,if it isn't already

It's not about how bad/good defender is, is about choices. We insiders paid for a windows and AV/IS license, they cannot do whatever they want.

If the OS is flawed then the AV is flawed as well. It will never get to the top 5 since relies in a flawed OS.

I repeat myself, it's about choices.

19 hours ago, masterupc said:

Microsoft have explained several times (since late 2014) that is not recommended to use third party AV with Insider Preview Builds, due there is a lot of kernel changes, and the AV are not updated at the same time that these changes in kernel are introduced, so for obvious reasons it could cause incompatibilities.

if you are an Insider you should already know (since 2014) about it.

4 hours ago, masterupc said:

It's not about how bad/good defender is, is about choices. We insiders paid for a windows and AV/IS license, they cannot do whatever they want.

If the OS is flawed then the AV is flawed as well. It will never get to the top 5 since relies in a flawed OS.

I got that part,but it's a Preview,not mainstream

So all bets are off

This is only a beta build for testing. 

@BTJB, @SPECTRUM, @bigcid10, @BioHazard

I'm an Insider since 2015 and I know the risks. But if they don't offer a reliable solution for security, then what can I do? I need a 3rd party solution.

At least I'm able to use CIS (instead of NOD32 and Comodo FW) and works fine and it's free, although it's not recognized by MS/defender as an AV but as a FW. No crashes, no GSOD's, no degradation (defender has a big impact in system resources).

And I still state, this build is shitty as hell. SNMP service using 6% of CPU 27/7 doing nothing? Is that an improvement? There where better builds before the last 3. And the problem with AV's is for almost all AV vendors. That's not a change in the kernel it's a policy (and it's hardcoded since I couldn't find anything by all means), since all kernels changes has been announced.

And for testing purposes, why they block 3rd party software? The reasonable thinking is that we can test EVERYTHING in every possible scenario. Or I am wrong? That's the idea of a test... as far as I know (as software developer).

A surprise for Windows users

Microsoft is giving its Notepad app for Windows a surprising amount of new features. While the software giant hasn’t updated Notepad for years, the next Windows 10 update will include some highly requested additions. Microsoft is clearly listening to Windows 10 users who use notepad for development, logs, or simple text manipulation.

You’ll soon be able to do wrap around find and replace alongside the ability to zoom into text by holding down the ctrl key and using the mouse wheel to zoom in and out. Microsoft is also adding in extended line ending support so that Unix/Linux line endings (LF) and Macintosh line endings (CR) are supported in Notepad. The status bar will now be enabled by default in Notepad, and it includes the ability to display line and column numbers when word-wrap is enabled.

Microsoft is also finally adding in ctrl+backspace support to delete a previous word in Notepad, and performance improvements for large files. You can now even search for words on Bing through Notepad by simply right clicking on them to get a new option. Microsoft’s Notepad additions follow the company updating its Windows Console for the first time in 20 years, and the surprise addition of the Linux command line to Windows 10.

These new Notepad features will appear in the update currently codenamed Redstone 5, which is expected to debut later this year. Microsoft is now putting the finishing touches on the next major Windows 10 update, but it won’t include the popular tabs (Sets) feature for File Explorer and other apps.

< Here >

Funny this doesn't interest most of us .. We've moved on better choices like the free Notepad++, , EditPad Lite, PSPad, Notepad2, etc;  and the commercial  EMEDITOR OR ULTRAEDIT, etc

5 minutes ago, teodz1984 said:

this doesn't interest most of us

Great.  Ignore the post.  Why waste your time commenting on it?  ?

I am merely stating fact that notepad is the most underused app in windows since windows 3.1 same as wordpad.. All these innovations stated in the article are are already there in other apps decades ago PROOF THAT WINDOWS APPS are actually crap.. 

Notepad and Wordpad  are  usually the first apps i remove from a fresh installation of any windows. 

I don't even use it to use read nfos or even logs because it can't load large files... Heck it can't even handle my hosts file.. which is basic for any windows user If there was a frequency count on how much an app is used that would probably on the bottom..

Notepad pales in comparison to VI EMACS JOE on the linux platform.. and these are the default text editors i used 24 years ago..

The only use i have for it is firing up some quick batch files and tweaking the config.sys and the now archaic WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI

5 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

Funny this doesn't interest most of us .. We've moved on better choices like the free Notepad++, , EditPad Lite, PSPad, Notepad2, etc;  and the commercial  EMEDITOR OR ULTRAEDIT, etc

And don't forget in your list: Notepad3 ?

Microsoft Finally Fixes Notepad After 20 Years of Inadequacy

by Lowell Heddings on 
img_5af2e8c9ef74b.png
The inadequacy of Notepad.

Microsoft just announced yesterday that the upcoming update to Windows 10 is going to finally, after 20 years or so, fix Notepad so that it doesn’t jumble up and break on any file using unix line endings.

Starting with the current Windows 10 Insider build, Notepad will support Unix/Linux line endings (LF), Macintosh line endings (CR), and Windows Line endings (CRLF) as usual. New files created within Notepad will use Windows line ending (CRLF) by default, but it will now be possible to view, edit, and print existing files, correctly maintaining the file’s current line ending format.

Here’s what we’re talking about: Windows has always ended lines in text files with a Carriage Return and a Line Feed character "\r\n" while Unix has always ended the lines with just a Line Feed character "\n" . So when you try to open up a Linux or Unix file using Notepad, it’s going to break and display like the jumbled mess you see in the screenshot above.

I’m not saying that actual programmers use Notepad to edit websites. Of course they don’t. Real programmers use vim, and lesser programmers use some kind of IDE or Notepad++ or Ultraedit or any other tool on the planet that isn’t Notepad.

Why does it matter if Notepad can’t open Linux files? Because virtually every single web server on this planet runs Linux, and the world runs on the web. So if you’re editing files from your web server, you’re going to be editing files that are using Unix line endings, and if you happen to open them in Notepad, they are going to show up like a jumbled mess. And if you save that file… well now your website is probably going to break.

It’s not just Notepad either—-we all wanted developer features like the Linux Bash shell, copy and paste from the Command Prompt, and built-in SSH support, but it took Microsoft years and years to finally add them.

So tons of cloud-based programmers like myself just switched to Mac. And these features that should have been added years ago just aren’t good enough to make us switch back. MacOS has built-in support for everything that developers need, and significantly better tools available for all the little things.

img_5af2e9cbcb8ec.png
It only took 20 years to display a text file correctly.

So when the next Windows Update comes down and Notepad finally starts displaying files correctly, like you can see in the screenshot above, just know that it’s a little too late for many of us.

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/microsoft-finally-fixes-notepad-after-20-years-of-inadequacy/

BimBamSmash

If they really cared and wanted to make a difference with Notepad, they'd introduce plugins or just about any means of customization that extends its functionality beyond the bare bones text edit it's been for the past decades.

I always thought they could merge Notepad, Wordpad and Visual Studio Code into just one app that acts as either of those aforementioned three given the plugins one loads on it at a time. That way it'd ac as a simple text editor upon launch, or basic word processor/syntax editor/etc as soon as one opened the plugins menu and ticked its corresponding option. Fewer apps, fewer clutter, more productivity.

20 hours ago, masterupc said:

@BTJB, @SPECTRUM, @bigcid10, @BioHazard

I'm an Insider since 2015 and I know the risks. But if they don't offer a reliable solution for security, then what can I do? I need a 3rd party solution.

At least I'm able to use CIS (instead of NOD32 and Comodo FW) and works fine and it's free, although it's not recognized by MS/defender as an AV but as a FW. No crashes, no GSOD's, no degradation (defender has a big impact in system resources).

And I still state, this build is shitty as hell. SNMP service using 6% of CPU 27/7 doing nothing? Is that an improvement? There where better builds before the last 3. And the problem with AV's is for almost all AV vendors. That's not a change in the kernel it's a policy (and it's hardcoded since I couldn't find anything by all means), since all kernels changes has been announced.

And for testing purposes, why they block 3rd party software? The reasonable thinking is that we can test EVERYTHING in every possible scenario. Or I am wrong? That's the idea of a test... as far as I know (as software developer).

any bug, stability or perfomance issue you noticed in Insider Preview Builds should be reported in the Feedback Hub app, and there is no security guarantee in this builds because are in constant change and even with untested/unstable changes that could impact stability, performance and security.

they don't block 3rd party software, just that some 3rd party software use specific kernel functions/calls (for example drivers or security apps) and due these 3rd party software is not being developed at the same time with the Insider Preview Builds changes, then for obvious reasons there could be incompatibilities.

and yes you can test everything you want, but don't expect to have a 100% stability with apps that depend of kernel functions/calls and don't expect them to works at 100% with each Insider Preview Release, for obvious reasons.

3 hours ago, SPECTRUM said:

any bug, stability or perfomance issue you noticed in Insider Preview Builds should be reported in the Feedback Hub app, and there is no security guarantee in this builds because are in constant change and even with untested/unstable changes that could impact stability, performance and security.

they don't block 3rd party software, just that some 3rd party software use specific kernel functions/calls (for example drivers or security apps) and due these 3rd party software is not being developed at the same time with the Insider Preview Builds changes, then for obvious reasons there could be incompatibilities.

and yes you can test everything you want, but don't expect to have a 100% stability with apps that depend of kernel functions/calls and don't expect them to works at 100% with each Insider Preview Release, for obvious reasons.

They're blocked, since the message in the services panel says so when you try to start manually (in my case one of the nod32 services when installed) that is blocked. That's not an issue with kernel. It's blocking communication within modules of the AV's and in some cases, those blocks are so bad for a nice GSOD. You think all AV vendors use the same approach when scanning for viruses? If so, you're wrong. And you need to do a lot of changes in the kernel in order to prevent most all AV's from running. The easy way is to block them.

And in the previous months the feedback hub was asking for your AV choice... what do you think they did with al the answers?

They're blocked, since the message in the services panel says so when you try to start manually (in my case one of the nod32 services when installed) that is blocked. That's not an issue with kernel. It's blocking communication within modules of the AV's and in some cases, those blocks are so bad for a nice GSOD. You think all AV vendors use the same approach when scanning for viruses? If so, you're wrong. And you need to do a lot of changes in the kernel in order to prevent most all AV's from running. The easy way is to block them.

And in the previous months the feedback hub was asking for your AV choice... what do you think they did with al the answers?

that is different thing, few time ago Microsoft introduced a new change in kernel related with security, and the AVs should match these changes to work properly in Windows 10, that included a specific registry key that the compatible AVs have to introduce in registry to confirm that they have proper compatibility with the new kernel changes, otherwise for obvious reason will not work, or will cause GSOD/BSOD depending of the calls.

in short words if you are using a third party AV or Security software that is not fully compatible with a BETA OS, don't use it! except that you want to experiency some random GSOD/BSODs due compatibility issues or another issues, and don't blame to others for that, because you were already warned about it (since 2014) as Insider.

and about FeebackHub asking for you AV choice, and what they did with the answers ? whats the matter with that ? they can do anything with their polls about different software to have an idea what the users use most.

3 hours ago, SPECTRUM said:

that is different thing, few time ago Microsoft introduced a new change in kernel related with security, and the AVs should match these changes to work properly in Windows 10, that included a specific registry key that the compatible AVs have to introduce in registry to confirm that they have proper compatibility with the new kernel changes, otherwise for obvious reason will not work, or will cause GSOD/BSOD depending of the calls.

in short words if you are using a third party AV or Security software that is not fully compatible with a BETA OS, don't use it! except that you want to experiency some random GSOD/BSODs due compatibility issues or another issues, and don't blame to others for that, because you were already warned about it (since 2014) as Insider.

and about FeebackHub asking for you AV choice, and what they did with the answers ? whats the matter with that ? they can do anything with their polls about different software to have an idea what the users use most.

Still not looking right at the issue. If there's an AV that's working fine and it's not so widespread as the most common ones, then it will work fine. That's not a kernel issue. It's a policy. I don't put the blame in others, I'm stating what's going on with the roadmap from MS. As I said, Comodo CIS works fine, fully funtional. Why? That's based on the surveys answers. Stop telling me your only argument is only that the insiders builds are BETA OS and I was warned since 2014.

Do you know how the kernel works? Do you know how the calls are made? Do you know low level API's? Do you write code using DDK? Do you develope your own API's? I do.

And as I said, I knew the risks, and always I've found a solution. But MS now is narrowing those approaches because they want to impose a flawed security solution for the sake of who knows. Now they're giving insiders a hard time not only with those blunders. There's the SNMP consuming resources without reason and the '...' menus in UWP that don't work as intended and the fatal flaw with the restoration, the notifications blunder is there to mention too. And I can write more than that but I know you'll say it's a BETA OS.

And the change in the security policy for AV was submitted to AV vendors before the build was released and NO problem arised. This is a different matter. And as far as I know, resetting skip ahead builds and focusing in polish (¿?) the apps and enviroment is the path for a new RTM, so, everyone will be screwed with this change. They don't mind all the claims about the AVs failing.

Yes, yes, BETA OS.

supercoolman
On 7/13/2018 at 7:45 AM, teodz1984 said:

I wonder who are listening to Windows 10 users who use notepad for development, logs, or simple text manipulation that those Microsoft said they are clearly listening....

Archived