Set TV Suddenly Goes Offline But is the ACE Lawsuit to Blame?

steven36

Set TV, an IPTV service being sued by several Hollywood studios, Amazon, and Netflix, went offline before the weekend with no explanation. Some linked the lawsuit to the service's apparent disappearance but a message sent to TorrentFreak by Set TV suggests that the service is coming back. However, as time runs on and other news comes to the fore, further questions are being raised.

https://s7d6.turboimg.net/sp/1b6a25d3b387498ba1be4136e98dc1b0/settv.jpg

Unauthorized IPTV services that provide competition to traditional broadcasters and VOD providers are a huge thorn in the side of mainstream entertainment industry companies.

As a result, the Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE), an anti-piracy partnership forged between Hollywood studios, Netflix, Amazon, and more than two dozen other companies, is now fighting on the front line, attempting to bring these competitors down.

Two early targets were the Kodi-powered Tickbox and Dragonbox services, who are both been tackled in US courts.

Earlier this year, ACE members launched similar action against Florida-based Set Broadcast, LLC, the company behind the popular IPTV service SET TV. The complaint, filed at a California federal court in April, claimed that Set TV was nothing but a piracy tool which offered copyright-infringing streams to a large number of subscribers.

Despite the threats and a lawsuit, Set TV has continued to provide service to thousands of customers who access media via set-top boxes, laptops, tablets, phones and various other hardware devices. Just before the weekend, however, trouble appeared on the horizon.

A message published on Set TV’s homepage indicated that the platform might be facing difficulties.

Set TV down

https://s7d2.turboimg.net/sp/4b4ea9d06fb4aa738f8952c8754c68cc/set-tv-down-e1528702027267.png

Given that Set TV is under intense pressure from ACE, many observers and some media reports put two and two together, concluding that Set TV had probably buckled under the pressure and thrown in the towel.

While that might still transpire at a later date, no official messages appeared on Set TV’s social media accounts to confirm or deny. So, to learn more, TorrentFreak contacted Set TV who emailed back a short message Sunday.

“We apologize for this inconvenience. We are working on getting our system back online,” the company said in response.

A call to the company’s support line was met with a similar message.

This morning Set TV’s service still appears to be down and no updates are available detailing when (or indeed if) the platform will return. The statement that efforts are underway to bring the service back suggest that technical issues may be behind the downtime but what they might be is pure guesswork at this point.

As far as we can see, Set TV was still encouraging potential customers to sign up via Twitter last Thursday, with the downtime apparently coinciding with an unknown event on Friday.

More than 72 hours later the service is still down with no concrete news, so it’s hardly surprising that people are jumping to conclusions. The fact that the company erased all of the posts in its Facebook timeline isn’t helping either.

Only adding to the intrigue are reports from claimed Set TV customers that they were advised that a new IPTV service called Simply-TV was just Set TV under another name.

That site is only partially operational but does have Android APK files on offer. However, trying to buy the service prompts the user with a newsletter option instead and users report that using their Set TV credentials with the service (which is certainly not advised at this point) doesn’t provide any kind of service.

On the other hand, several others report that everything works fine with the new service but a user with a single post giving precise details should be approached with a healthy amount of caution, at least for now.

In situations like these, it’s difficult to know who to trust but as one former user points out, sometimes it’s best to trust no-one if information isn’t being provided directly by the companies involved.

“I am highly disappointed with the lack of response from Set TV or Simply Tv or whoever they are,” he wrote on Reddit.

“I paid for 3 months and got only one. I’ve emailed them and nothing. I don’t think I’ll go with Simply TV either. I don’t trust them.”

Source

• Replies 4
  • Views 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forums-Torrent sites-Streaming sites/ Addon and now this !

A lot of shit going down recently :think:

45 minutes ago, hacker7 said:

Forums-Torrent sites-Streaming sites/ Addon and now this !

A lot of shit going down recently :think:

My Kodi box is working just fine i just watched these last night and i got free iptv that work  I'm not paying for no pirated streams lol. I already pay  for my leecher and vpn so i'm not paying for the  pirated iptv  too , I just renewed my leecher,  it has safe  torrenting and premium file host. (Streaming in Kodi and downloading) for another 6 months  for 16 dollars  and they gave me 30 more days for renewing So i got 7 months  for $16.  US. :tooth:

https://s7d1.turboimg.net/sp/66b088a699e38c935337dfb333f963aa/kodi_001.png

I can understand why Amazon and Netflix are going to be more interested in stopping these pirate activities since it was announced that most ISPs would be charging Amazon and Netflix more for allowing their steams on their networks.  Now that Net Neutrality is dead, ISPs can, and are looking at,  raising the rates in the coming year for any business that wants to stream data across their network.  I read an internal report from the FTC that basic cable internet could go up to $200 a month with throttling that could prevent streaming.  If you wanted streaming you would have to pay more on a tiered subscriber system, that would include data caps, plus pay whatever the established monthly rates were for Netflix, Amazon, etc.  People will pay, otherwise all those Kodi devices will become useless.

16 hours ago, steven36 said:

My Kodi box is working just fine

Enjoy it while it lasts, but don't say I didn't warn you.

2 hours ago, straycat19 said:

I can understand why Amazon and Netflix are going to be more interested in stopping these pirate activities since it was announced that most ISPs would be charging Amazon and Netflix more for allowing their steams on their networks.  Now that Net Neutrality is dead, ISPs can, and are looking at,  raising the rates in the coming year for any business that wants to stream data across their network.  I read an internal report from the FTC that basic cable internet could go up to $200 a month with throttling that could prevent streaming.  If you wanted streaming you would have to pay more on a tiered subscriber system, that would include data caps, plus pay whatever the established monthly rates were for Netflix, Amazon, etc.  People will pay, otherwise all those Kodi devices will become useless.

Enjoy it while it lasts, but don't say I didn't warn you.

I dont care even if  they stop kodi addons  witch is highly unlikey.  that want stop piracy because i didn't even start using kodi tell 2017 ..What do you think people did before they used Kodi?   i don't even need internet to watch a movie I will watch  them  local because i have 2 hard drives full and a box of data dvds with 2 or 3 movies on each. , you don't even have to stream you can download a movie off the internet in rar or video file and watch local in kodi .  Even back when i was on dailup i rented DVD and burned them to blank DVDs, there about 20 years too late too stop it. If they started throttling you spoiled babies on fiber internet watching 4k netfilx  i would laugh my ass off at you.  I already been there and been throttled back when on satellite and the world didn't stop spinning. If you use a vpn  it bypasses throttling anyway because your ISP can't see what your doing and if they start capping you will just have to keep up with how much you download.

I done it before .People in other parts of the world and people in the USA on Satellite internet have always been capped and most people in the USA are just spoiled . Why don't you go talk about Net Neutrality too  someone who gives a shit because i don't. If the the USA ISP want to kill the internet in the USA were  buying dailup would be a better option more power too them . If you cant use the internet for nothing but browsing  there is no need to pay for high speed. They would just be saving me money when i go back to using dail up because there internet is too limited to use . I used dailup and uploaded software to warez boards and everything before .So  it don't bother me . I was and elite and the only person who had more post than me at my old board was the owner and i uploaded all my warez on dailup and then satellite capped at 200mb a day  for years on there.  Before i came to warez boards I use to play around in the chatrooms  and i was and admin in them and i just used dailup .

Adapt or die is all  i can tell you,  before Obama there was no Net Neutrality and the internet was still fun , It is what you make out of it. Net Neutrality was never a pirates fight no way we always adapt just like we always have every since they was a www.  They always be messing with us so we are use to it and skilled at getting around it. It will only hurt noobs  who pay  and dont know what to do and noobs who pirate  and  have to have someone to hold there hand and show them everything because they don't know what there doing , some will tell them how to get around it like they always have. :lol:

Net Neutrality is Not a Pirates’ Fight Anymore

https://torrentfreak.com/net-neutrality-is-not-a-pirates-fight-anymore-170712/

If  they throttle you're Netfilx , IPTV , Amazon etc , it don't effect us we will just kick on a vpn and download ours. The more they make legit services unusable and the more they charge for cable it just makes piracy  grow  . They always  been allowed to throttle Pirates , send us warnings and in extreme cases they  turn the users net off  even.  In the USA Pirates never had Net Neutrality to began with, the old laws never applied to nothing illegal.  Obama wanted to make Pirate streaming a felony even. He was pro Hollywood.

Under  the  Net Neutrality rules, ISPs could not  limit customer’s access and downloading of content (let’s say music or movies, just for fun) unless the content and the act of obtaining it was proven to be illegal.

“Illegal” can cover a number of things, but mostly it includes copyrighted materials.

Before 2001 i didn't use the internet for over half my life and i was just fine without it and I would be fine without it again.  Being on the internet starring at a screen is not  natural no way it's man made it's not something you have to have like food.   :tooth:

Archived