Strange problem with MSN

AshTheGamer

Hi guys seem to be having a rather weird problem with my Computer. I done a system restore as I got an error on something (System restore went fine).

I then went to install msn and apparently it is already installed. It is not in program files or in All programs nor is it in Add and remove programs. Can anyone help me?

- Ash.

• Replies 26
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MSN comes preinstalled with some verions of windows.what windows version do you have?.type sysocmgr on the command line and see if the messenger is there.

Hi guys seem to be having a rather weird problem with my Computer. I done a system restore as I got an error on something (System restore went fine).

I then went to install msn and apparently it is already installed. It is not in program files or in All programs nor is it in Add and remove programs. Can anyone help me?

- Ash.

Try a manual removal, delete all the left over files, delete all the registry keys.

You will find messenger 4.7 in 'Messenger' folder in XP...'Windows Live' will hold the files from the newest messenger program, and it will also hold the installer for all Live products..Windows Live Essentials in the Add/Remove Programs will be the installer you need to execute for the program...

Nope Windows Live Installer still says I have messenger installed and I can't reinstall it until I removed it.

Yeah shredding/deleting all related files to Windows Live, removing the Installer using Windows Installer Cleanup ( from Microsoft ) and cleaning your registry with a typical registry scanner should do the trick like what is mentioned above..Then downloading the most recent installer and going through the whole thing again .. for install..

I had this happen once but it was because I deleted a program folder... on accident..I was using a shredder that would shred the target of a shortcut if you tried the shred the shortcut itself.. this was back when it was all new stuff..

I had this happen once but it was because I deleted a program folder... on accident..I was using a shredder that would shred the target of a shortcut if you tried the shred the shortcut itself.. this was back when it was all new stuff..

That's what I done but how can I fix it :/ Maybe you could give me your msn and we could go on Team Viewer. ( I am not to confident in deleting things in my registry. )

• Administrator

Here delete this folder - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\WLSetup .

Try and let us know. ;)

• Administrator

Can you open it from goin here - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger ?

if that messenger is installed,can you launch it?.did you try sysocmgr like i told you in a previous post?

What command line? I tried putting this in Run and CMD and neither of these worked.

Can you open it from goin here - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger ?

Don't work, Says doesn't exist.

What I was said above was just use a simple registry cleaner when you get done deleting and cleaning stuff up..it will remove anything that is not valid..

• Administrator

Use Windows Live Troubleshooter. And let us know. ;)

Archived