[Solved] Boot Loop

Knightmare

Could be anything...

Happened to me  changed memory , GPU,PSU etc,  Only thing left was to replace MOBO ...

• Replies 71
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Last night, I played a game and when I exited the game normally, Windows came up with an error stating that the program closed unexpectedly--which it didn't because I was the one who closed it. I ran Wise Disk Cleaner and Wise Registry Cleaner after I did an update on Windows 7 just to clean out some junk files and see if that would help the game. I didn't get a chance to play the game again after I cleaned the system since it was late. I went to bed, but during the middle of the night, my computer monitors came on without me doing anything to the computer (moving the mouse, touching the keyboard, etc.) so I got out of bed and forced the displays to sleep again. Later, the same thing happened with the displays, so I shut down the computer all together. When I woke up, I tried to turn on the computer, but it wouldn't boot into Windows. The lights on the case came on but there was no display. The lights would come on, then go off again after a second, then it would come back on again with only the lights and no display. I flipped the power switch in the back and opened the case to see if any of the cables were loose. I checked a hdd cable and the gpu cable, which seemed to be okay. I flipped the switch in the back and turned on the computer with the case open, and I noticed that the back fan on the system did not turn on. I wasn't sure if this would prevent the computer from turning on or not.

This isn't the first time that this has happened, in regards to the system not booting and only showing lights. When I installed my SSHD and went to boot the computer, I had the same issue with the lights coming on but no display. I just reseated all of my drives and that seemed to fix the issue. I just don't understand why this is randomly happening. I fear that there might be a shortage somewhere, and I'm hoping it's just one component that's shorting out.

Hi! 

I have had same issue, probably it is not hardware.Google for bootloop windows 10 april update.Microsoft hotfix mess up my pc.Install fresh windows and disable updates.Do not download 1803 update!Install latest 1709 update

That works for me,

You can try to find kb4013721, kb 4013727 and kb4093118 and uninstall that crap, maybe you will not have issues or fresh windows install

Regards!

Knightmare
36 minutes ago, uzi said:

Hi! 

I have had same issue, probably it is not hardware.Google for bootloop windows 10 april update.Microsoft hotfix mess up my pc.Install fresh windows and disable updates.Do not download 1803 update!Install latest 1709 update

That works for me,

You can try to find kb4013721, kb 4013727 and kb4093118 and uninstall that crap, maybe you will not have issues or fresh windows install

Regards!

I don't have Windows 10, I have Windows 7; however, my cousin is having an issue with a Windows 10 update on his machine, so I'll pass this information along to him.

Knightmare

How would I know if it's the cpu causing the issue? Not doubting that it's the psu causing the issue, just trying to gain knowledge. 

Knightmare
1 hour ago, teodz1984 said:

Transfer your erring part to another system.. If it works.. Its not it 

Unfortunately I don't have another system to transfer to. 

dhunterhell

from what you describe i think something might interfere and it goes in short-circuit ... i had similar problems some time ago and here is how i fixed it (my case so i dont know if it will be of any help for you)

1. first time it was the psu... it would start, i could play some time then it would just crash and it would take some time until i could boot into windows again (didn't had and multi-meter that time plus i didn't had any patience to try to fix it so i just bought a new PSU and fixed my problem) but had to do it by unplugging everything out ^_^ until i only had 1 hdd and the mobo attached hahahaha (but it was only a temporarily fix)

2. the 2nd time i encountered a similar problem was when i tried to assemble a pc for a small company that bought some stuff from an auction. the problem here was with a ddr memory. it would short-circuit the whole system and it would just stop right away after i tried booting ... start=> a tiny bit of power but then bam nothing started, everything blank. so i took all the ram out (from all 4 slots) and it booted, then i just placed one by one until i got the faulty one.

Knightmare
43 minutes ago, dhunterhell said:

from what you describe i think something might interfere and it goes in short-circuit ... i had similar problems some time ago and here is how i fixed it (my case so i dont know if it will be of any help for you)

1. first time it was the psu... it would start, i could play some time then it would just crash and it would take some time until i could boot into windows again (didn't had and multi-meter that time plus i didn't had any patience to try to fix it so i just bought a new PSU and fixed my problem) but had to do it by unplugging everything out ^_^ until i only had 1 hdd and the mobo attached hahahaha (but it was only a temporarily fix)

2. the 2nd time i encountered a similar problem was when i tried to assemble a pc for a small company that bought some stuff from an auction. the problem here was with a ddr memory. it would short-circuit the whole system and it would just stop right away after i tried booting ... start=> a tiny bit of power but then bam nothing started, everything blank. so i took all the ram out (from all 4 slots) and it booted, then i just placed one by one until i got the faulty one.

I tested all of the memory sticks and got the same issue. 

Try changing MOBO, could be a failing component, visually check for blown caps.. also

• Try removing the mobo from the case.. just to make sure its not grounded ...
  • Boot with just memory and built in video port..
  • Check if there are POST BEEP Errors
  • If the unit still bootloops could be a faulty mobo..

1. Then start putting components 1 by 1and test 
  2. GPU,
  3. GPU,  HDD
  4. ...

knowledge-Spammer
10 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Reinstall? 

i have seen befor someone who played a game and then his pc no work right  remove harddrive and reinstall windows  and will work again  plus what game u played u have name ?

Knightmare
5 hours ago, knowledge said:

i have seen befor someone who played a game and then his pc no work right  remove harddrive and reinstall windows  and will work again  plus what game u played u have name ?

The game was the binding of Isaac, but since I shut down my computer, it doesn't stay on long enough for me to reinstall windows. The computer comes on for 2 seconds, then goes back off. 

18 hours ago, Knightmare said:

I tested all of the memory sticks and got the same issue. 

Hi,

How did you test the memory?

The system now starts with the new PSU?

Israeli_Eagle
1 hour ago, Knightmare said:

The game was the binding of Isaac, but since I shut down my computer, it doesn't stay on long enough for me to reinstall windows. The computer comes on for 2 seconds, then goes back off. 

Simply ignore and filter in your mind those super-duper-noob answers. :doh:

"I have a flu." and they have always only one answer "Suicide!". LMAO

:lmao:

Anyway... I hope your new PSU will work perfectly tomorrow, good luck!!

If you've changed PSU and found out nothing is wrong with your RAM,

perhaps your MOBO is toast. TIME TO GET A NEW ONE..

Israeli_Eagle
52 minutes ago, teodz1984 said:

Yep... Mobo might be, tho 3 years is still too young. And usually truly smells when burnt.

3 years , 1 year, nobody knows..

esp with these solid caps trhat dont show sign of blow out unlike the old ones

I still believe the mobo makers are doing this on purpose

• Administrator

If it was not for the first line, I would have said the power button is broken. :P

But yes, otherwise PSU does seem to be a reason here.

Knightmare
12 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

I haven't changed the psu yet

14 hours ago, MrZeb said:

Hi,

How did you test the memory?

The system now starts with the new PSU?

I just put each stick in the first slot and tried to boot. 

Israeli_Eagle
11 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

3 years , 1 year, nobody knows..

esp with these solid caps trhat dont show sign of blow out unlike the old ones

I still believe the mobo makers are doing this on purpose

You ever heard the word 'warranty' for example? ;)

Israeli_Eagle
1 hour ago, Knightmare said:

Forget that, good RAM never dies. Because of that most have unlimited lifetime warranty.

6 hours ago, Knightmare said:

I haven't changed the psu yet

So it works only with one stick but not with two or more?

To test the memory you need to use a proper program like https://www.memtest86.com/

Knightmare
5 hours ago, MrZeb said:

So it works only with one stick but not with two or more?

To test the memory you need to use a proper program like https://www.memtest86.com/

No, it doesn't work at all, no matter how many sticks are in the slots or which stick is in the slot. I have four 4 GB sticks. I put each stick in the first slot--one at a time--and tried to turn on the system. I got the same result with each stick: The light on the tower would turn on for 2 seconds, turn off, then it would try to come back on again. No POST and no display.

Archived