Jump to content

[Solved] Boot Loop


Knightmare

Recommended Posts

Knightmare

Last night, I played a game and when I exited the game normally, Windows came up with an error stating that the program closed unexpectedly--which it didn't because I was the one who closed it. I ran Wise Disk Cleaner and Wise Registry Cleaner after I did an update on Windows 7 just to clean out some junk files and see if that would help the game. I didn't get a chance to play the game again after I cleaned the system since it was late. I went to bed, but during the middle of the night, my computer monitors came on without me doing anything to the computer (moving the mouse, touching the keyboard, etc.) so I got out of bed and forced the displays to sleep again. Later, the same thing happened with the displays, so I shut down the computer all together. When I woke up, I tried to turn on the computer, but it wouldn't boot into Windows. The lights on the case came on but there was no display. The lights would come on, then go off again after a second, then it would come back on again with only the lights and no display. I flipped the power switch in the back and opened the case to see if any of the cables were loose. I checked a hdd cable and the gpu cable, which seemed to be okay. I flipped the switch in the back and turned on the computer with the case open, and I noticed that the back fan on the system did not turn on. I wasn't sure if this would prevent the computer from turning on or not.

 

This isn't the first time that this has happened, in regards to the system not booting and only showing lights. When I installed my SSHD and went to boot the computer, I had the same issue with the lights coming on but no display. I just reseated all of my drives and that seemed to fix the issue. I just don't understand why this is randomly happening. I fear that there might be a shortage somewhere, and I'm hoping it's just one component that's shorting out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many years ago I had a similar problem.  When I could not find anything wrong,  I wanted to call an exorcist :D.   Then I  noticed a power wire for one of my fans was loose and it was randomly shorting out my motherboard.  Check you fans especially the one in the side panel which gets removed when you get inside the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

a GPU issue? :unsure: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knightmare
40 minutes ago, neofita said:

a GPU issue? :unsure: 

How could I test this?

 

5 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

That smells like the power supply died... Nothing is forever, so try to change it.

Is there anything I should test/do before I just throw money at a new PSU?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Israeli_Eagle
9 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

Is there anything I should test/do before I just throw money at a new PSU?

 

You could only check all voltages, but they mostly work only under load. Hmmm...
Which PSU you use exactly and how old?

 

And GPU usually never die, only sometimes have PCIe problem and fixed when card out and in again.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knightmare
15 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

 

You could only check all voltages, but they mostly work only under load. Hmmm...
Which PSU you use exactly and how old?

 

And GPU usually never die, only sometimes have PCIe problem and fixed when card out and in again.

 

Here's the PSU that I have installed: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139051

 

I built the computer about 3 years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knightmare
6 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

 

Yep, might happened and died. Look into the reviews there!

I myself prefer the last years BeQuiet! PSUs.

 

https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply

Well that sucks. What would the symptoms be if the motherboard were the issue?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Israeli_Eagle
5 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

Well that sucks. What would the symptoms be if the motherboard were the issue?

 

Hmmm... Most often only happens when bad motherboard, too high overclocked or had already some time temperature problems. But the basic voltages would still be there, for example fans or via SATA.

 

Of course, anything might happen. But I myself would bet on PSU. ;)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knightmare
7 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

 

Hmmm... Most often only happens when bad motherboard, too high overclocked or had already some time temperature problems. But the basic voltages would still be there, for example fans or via SATA.

 

Of course, anything might happen. But I myself would bet on PSU. ;)

 

Should I get a fully modular psu or semi modular like the one I have now? I'm just wondering if the fully modular psu will come with the cables or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Israeli_Eagle
25 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

Should I get a fully modular psu or semi modular like the one I have now? I'm just wondering if the fully modular psu will come with the cables or not.

 

Most often semi-modular is fully enough. And BeQuiet! PSU always comes with a full cable set.

 

P.S.: Another small hint is when motherboards die you smell that usually in your room (for example R68 burnt)...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knightmare

Now I just need to figure out the watts that I need. I think 750 is too much. I might be able to get away with 650.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Israeli_Eagle
4 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

Now I just need to figure out the watts that I need. I think 750 is too much. I might be able to get away with 650.

 

Yeah... And maybe even less, for example 550W. More is usually only needed when multiple GPUs or older & very strong GPU etc.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knightmare
1 minute ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

 

Yeah... And maybe even less, for example 550W. More is usually only needed when multiple GPUs etc.

Is there anything negative about getting too much power?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Israeli_Eagle
3 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

Is there anything negative about getting too much power?

 

Nope, only cost more.

But better never use the Watts fully, old rule max 90%.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knightmare

Do you think the fan in the back not starting up would have anything to do with the boot loop?

 

Also would my UPS cause any issues with shortage?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Israeli_Eagle
2 hours ago, Knightmare said:

Do you think the fan in the back not starting up would have anything to do with the boot loop?

 

Also would my UPS cause any issues with shortage?

 

Hmmm, usually the fans are independent when booting up. Do you have really a visible loop at all?

The UPS you can easily check if you simply take it out and instead a direct power cable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knightmare
13 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

 

Hmmm, usually the fans are independent when booting up. Do you have really a visible loop at all?

The UPS you can easily check if you simply take it out and instead a direct power cable.

What do you mean a visible loop?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Israeli_Eagle
7 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

What do you mean a visible loop?

 

Means... That you really see something booting.

Stuck vs Loop :coolwink:

You can enter the BIOS for example?? If so then stop the PSU order, most probably totally ok then.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knightmare
20 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

 

Means... That you really see something booting.

Stuck vs Loop :coolwink:

You can enter the BIOS for example?? If so then stop the PSU order, most probably totally ok then.

 

No, I don't see any thing on the screen. The computer has lights on the case and the motherboard, but they stay on for a second--maybe even half a second--then it cuts off. Then a second later, it will do the same thing again. There is no display on the screen at all, so I can't get into the bios.

 

I think it's the same problem that this guy is describing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Israeli_Eagle
5 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

No, I don't see any thing on the screen. The computer has lights on the case and the motherboard, but they stay on for a second--maybe even half a second--then it cuts off. Then a second later, it will do the same thing again. There is no display on the screen at all, so I can't get into the bios.

 

I think it's the same problem that this guy is describing.

 

Ah ok, I thought so. So actually no loop at all... Loop means usually when starting Windows (visible) some time and then reboots again.
Still PSU is candidate #1. And if not you can give back to Amazon, no problem at all.
But I also recommend trying first without the UPS, because batteries and their electronics are also not forever. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knightmare
58 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

 

Ah ok, I thought so. So actually no loop at all... Loop means usually when starting Windows (visible) some time and then reboots again.
Still PSU is candidate #1. And if not you can give back to Amazon, no problem at all.
But I also recommend trying first without the UPS, because batteries and their electronics are also not forever. ;)

Can do. I always assumed that if the battery in a UPS died or malfunctioned that it would just turn into a surge protector. I do run tests on the UPS and it says that it's fine. I'll try it without the UPS though. I'm also going to try just reseating everything because I don't think that will hurt anything. The power supply isn't going to arrive until Tuesday anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...