Windows 10 April 2018 Update: Known Problems And Their Fixes

steven36

Not even a week has passed since Microsoft released Windows 10 April 2018 Update to their customers around the globe. Early adopters have started to report some Windows problems as they get their hands-on the feature update.

Windows-10-April-2018-Update-Features-64

The Windows 10 version 1803 issues known so far range across hardware and software. A popular among them is April Update users experiencing Chrome freezes (via MSPUser) more than ever. The cause of the freeze is yet to be known and there is no comment from Microsoft regarding the same.

There are a number of components and features that people are unable to use or facing problems with after installing the April Update. Windows United has compiled a list of the known issues in Windows 10 April 2018 Update:

Windows 10 April Update problems:

Delayed mouse reactions:

Some people are observing mouse movements and cursor speed different than before. The cause of this Windows April Update issue is not known.

Unusable microphone

In case you aren’t able to use the mic on the device, go to Settings > Privacy. See if microphone access is allowed for apps. If you suspect there is something wrong with the hardware, the Sound also includes a tool to test the microphone.

Context menu doesn’t appear

For some Windows 10 users, the taskbar context menu is missing. No solution for this Windows bug is available.

Edge browser can’t start

On some PCs, Edge doesn’t start even after doing a reset. The cause and solution of the problem are yet to be known.

Delay in Alt +Tab

There is a delay when people use Alt+Tab keyboard shortcut to switch between active apps.

Fixes for Spectre and Meltdown

Spectre fixes are already out for version 1709 (and earlier) in the form of microcode updates. But in April Update, it’s unclear up to what extent these microcodes are available. It’s suggested you should use a tool called InSpectre to review the same.

Diagnostic data

Some users see “Windows Insider Program manages this option” when they try to change the diagnostic data upload options in Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & Feedback.

While this is normal in the case of Insider builds, it is also happening on the machines which were never a part of the Insider program. No solution to this Windows April Update problem is known.

However, the situation isn’t much different than the past; that’s why people are advised to keep their horses calm for a few days after a Windows 10 update releases.

What’s wrong/broken in April Update’s user interface?

Michael West, a concept designer, has spotted some inconsistencies in different areas of the Windows 10 after installing April Update.

Issues in the Settings app

The Settings app’s new App volume and device preferences page has some weird issues. West says it feels like it got “half designed and then forgotten by its team.” When the window is at its default size, the way the content wraps is a bit odd.

Windows-10-April-Update-Problems-3-Sound

On some pages in the Settings app, there are huge gaps between the title and the content. For instance, here is a screenshot of the Shared Experiences page.

9830746.png

Another unusual thing in Windows 10 April Update is the standalone Phone page in the Settings app with just one category. It could easily be added to the Devices page.

One possible explanation for this is Microsoft might want to promote their cross-device sync feature that lets people receive smartphone notifications on their PC.

Windows Defender problems

giphy.gif

The Windows Defender Security Center (WDSC) has a “glaring bug” that makes it look like some poor HTML website. When you hover the mouse over a tile, other tiles get displaced.

Also, when you change the system theme with the WDSC window open, the hamburger menu behaves unexpectedly with the text becoming practically illegible. It seems the Windows system doesn’t change the color of the text, no matter you switch from Light to Dark or Dark to Light.

Windows-10-April-Update-Problems-1-WDSC.

Windows-10-April-Update-Problems-2-WDSC.

Windows Shell issues

West has also noticed that the shadow effect is missing for many flyouts in Windows 10 April Update, including Battery, Network, Volume, Ink Space, Action Center, and Clock.

An April Update bug, although it has been fixed in the release preview builds, has managed to get shipped with the final build pushed to the users. The Reveal effect often breaks for certain UI elements, leading to no borders showing up.

There is a fluent design-related issue in the Start Menu and Action Center as well. The two tend to lose their acrylic effects as they’re opened and closed. This Windows design problem is visible when the content behind is “busy.” For instance, when open/close the Action Center when a video is playing.

Chrome issues

It appears there are some issues that have cropped up, with some users finding that the Chrome internet browser becomes unresponsive and crashes after installing the update.

The issue has been posted by users on Reddit, and it appears that Microsoft is aware of the issues, with the Microsoft Support Twitter account replying to one user who experienced the issue by saying “it appears that some users are experiencing the same concern as yours. We'll be checking our internal bug report for this. Please let our developer know this as well by posting it on the Feedback Hub. Update us if you needed further assistance. All the best.”

Hopefully Google, the company behind Chrome, updates the browser so that it is stable with the Windows 10 April 2018 Update.

Some people are reporting that installing the 17134.5 update via the cumulative update KB4135051 and then running the Command Prompt as an Administrator and entering the following helps:

dism /online /add-package /packagepath:%homepath%\downloads\Windows10.0-KB4135051-x64_22fd6a942c7b686a5434bcc8dfc87f3379c99437.cab

Otherwise, you may need to hang tight until a patch for Chrome is released, and for the moment use a different web browser such as Edge or Firefox.

How is your experience with Windows 10 April 2018 Update?

Sources: Fossbytes TechRadar

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's crashed Windows sharing. Shared drives accessible only with ip adress (with Computer name not work. Resetting share options, and permissions not help.) 
Remote desktop only works with ip adress only, with Computer name not or works with 6-7x attempt. Resetting lan card setting and windows firewall not help.

Can not set ;  NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate = 1

After every reboot its changed to " 80000003" …………..did not found a solution so far !

If the life of your SSD is important to you , then check this regkey !!   Appreciate any solution !

Someone faced the same problem yet………….??      :rolleyes:

Tried running the dism text above and it would not run;  error, could not open file.

I have had no problems with this update, only one where folders want stay in the layout i want, which has been happening for the last 4 majors updates

DjDiabolik

OMG... on my Windows 10 home i see this:

• Aggiornamento delle funzionalità a Windows 10, versione 1803

It's the start of the end ? :) Lol..........

On 5/3/2018 at 8:46 AM, Pete 12 said:

After every reboot its changed to " 80000003" …………..did not found a solution so far !

If the life of your SSD is important to you , then check this regkey !!   Appreciate any solution !

Nonsense. Your SSD will be fine.

On 5/3/2018 at 3:46 PM, Pete 12 said:

Someone was talking about it in MDL but it's a long topic

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/discussion-windows-10-final-1803-17134-1-pc.76889

Found it:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://blog.livedoor.jp/nichepcgamer/archives/1071061265.html&prev=search

Also they didn't talk about every time you disable background APPS and restart it will be turned on

Made a PowerShell-task for setting this value at "1" , after every reboot , this works fine, untill you start an external HDD , then you go to "80000003" again………….

Take a look at these pictures , they are made with my SSD-optimizer , you see ; optimal is set to "1"  !  ( Timestamp = NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate=1 )

After every reboot its set to "80000003" , not optimal optimized………..

Could be this software not updated to RS4 yet ……??

btw ; " Nonsense. Your SSD will be fine. " …………….why are you so sure ,about this  ?

set to 1.jpg

In this picture you see how it looks after reboot , set to " 80000003" by Windows ( from "1"  to "80000003" , after reboot , or starting an external HDD in Windows )

" Nonsense. Your SSD will be fine. " ……...hope you are right , if so I can delete the PowerShell-task after reboot ……..!:D

80000003.jpg

11 hours ago, Pete 12 said:

Made a PowerShell-task for setting this value at "1" , after every reboot , this works fine, untill you start an external HDD , then you go to "80000003" again………….

Take a look at these pictures , they are made with my SSD-optimizer , you see ; optimal is set to "1"  !  ( Timestamp = NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate=1 )

After every reboot its set to "80000003" , not optimal optimized………..

Could be this software not updated to RS4 yet ……??

btw ; " Nonsense. Your SSD will be fine. " …………….why are you so sure ,about this  ?

set to 1.jpg

The value has changed in RS4, read the link i give you and go down you will see the new values at the end of the page

2 hours ago, BALTAGY said:

The value has changed in RS4, read the link i give you and go down you will see the new values at the end of the page

Yes, thanks for the info !

The software-maker of this SSD-Optimizer has to update its program , when set to "80000003" (default) it should be " maximal optimized "  its not .

Its only "maximal optimized" when its set to "1" , which is not default in RS4 anymore ……………!!          :D  

( problem solved !!)

9 hours ago, Pete 12 said:

Yes, thanks for the info !

The software-maker of this SSD-Optimizer has to update its program , when set to "80000003" (default) it should be " maximal optimized "  its not .

Its only "maximal optimized" when its set to "1" , which is not default in RS4 anymore ……………!!          :D  

( problem solved !!)

I think when the program add the new registry it will be max, it's just the GUI

Think so too, if so , will remove the " set to 1 -task " , and Im sure we have optimal SSD-settings ……………:D

Updated to 1803 yesterday and thankfully I did not face any issue. Yet...! 

On a side note, I read somewhere that the BSOD issues with 1803 were mostly on older Intel SSDs. Not sure how much of that is true but I do have an ADATA SSD and the updated completed without any issues. 

22 hours ago, neeraj said:

Updated to 1803 yesterday and thankfully I did not face any issue. Yet...! 

On a side note, I read somewhere that the BSOD issues with 1803 were mostly on older Intel SSDs. Not sure how much of that is true but I do have an ADATA SSD and the updated completed without any issues. 

Sincerely, I also did not face any issue until now ... But the people that use Intel SSDs?? :( the worst part is Microsoft said "One day we will fix it" :s 

What happen if a 50-year-old woman, for example a mother (that she has no expertise in computers) has an Intel SSD??? 

But Donna "N1gga" Sarkar said "This is the best Windows ever" with her Big Mouth XD jajajajajaja

Apparently Intel SSD's aren't the only ones that have serious problems with Microsoft's latest & greatest Windows 10 "upgrade"...

Win10 version 1803 incompatible with Toshiba solid state drives, too (Computerworld - Woody Leonhard)

Testing... what's that?  QA... what's that?

I tested for a long time and then I found that there is only one way that works (the only fix that works)- I went back to the previous version. 
Now I'm back on 1709 (16299.431) and everything works again as should.

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft has release a fix for the SSD issue. Hopefully it will helpful to the end users.

Archived