Block Windows 10 Updates with StopUpdates10

ADN

StopUpdates10 is a free program for Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system that modifies some system settings to block Windows Updates on the target device.

While it is usually not a good idea to block the installation of updates, as you'd block non-critical and security updates alike, doing so may sometimes be necessary as a temporary measure.

The new cumulative nature of updates introduced an all or nothing approach to updates; it is no longer possible to block specific updates with issues. The only option users and administrators have is to block all updates temporarily until issues are resolved.

Doing so is far from ideal as you may block important security updates when you block updates.

Note: Microsoft changed the update scheme to rollup updates on Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems in 2016 as well (and Server variants).

Windows 10 comes with options to delay the installation of updates. You may use the Settings app, Group Policy, or Registry for that.

StopUpdates10

stop updates windows 10

StopUpdates10 creates Registry keys that are created when you set update related policies to block Windows updates on the device the application is run on.

The application checks the current status of the system on launch and displays either the "stop Windows Updates" or "Restore Windows Updates" button in the interface based on that initial test.

A click on the stop Windows Updates button writes data to the Registry that blocks updating functionality. You can verify this by opening Windows Updates in the Settings app and clicking on the "check for updates" button. It returns an error when you do so after you block updates.

You may restore updating functionality at any time by selecting the "restore Windows Updates" option that the program comes with. Another option that you have is to uninstall the program as it will reset the settings during removal on the system.

Administrators may run the program with command line parameters.

• StopUpdates10.exe /disable
  • StopUpdates10.exe /restore

Both need to be run with elevated rights.

Ghacks.net

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK guys, I checked what is doing this app. It just add and remove additional registry entries.

2 hours ago, Skunk1966 said:

I prefer WUMT + WUblock + wrapperscript

At least give him thumbs up for trying ;)

On 4/7/2018 at 4:51 AM, BTJB said:

No need any app!

Wrong!  Your batch file automatically starts and stops the update process, unlike the app which will start OR stop the updates.  So you actually need two batch files if you don't want to stop them after the updates run but want to leave it enabled.  The app is much better in that respect.

The following implementation is all that was necessary for me to block Windows Update (on any Microsoft OS) on a selective basis:—

On 8/9/2015 at 4:41 PM, dcs18 said:

"A Leak-proof & Tamper-proof Windows Firewall Control (WFC)"

(monitor post # 2 for all updates)

I rather to use WUMT (aka Windows Update MiniTool). Because for me, it's the easier way (it's true you can disable the Automatic Updates and after manually check if there is a new update).

PS : Damn right, Microsoft has made a very bad choice (and sure it's a bad point for W10). Because in the past (I haven't forget W7 and W8), we didn't need a tool.

5 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Wrong!  Your batch file automatically starts and stops the update process, unlike the app which will start OR stop the updates.  So you actually need two batch files if you don't want to stop them after the updates run but want to leave it enabled.  The app is much better in that respect.

Can you explain me in more details what actually do you mean? Because these two batch files will be included in ContextBerry. So it is more easy to Start and Stop update at any time you want without unnecessary to run both commands at once.

BTW it's not recommended to stop Windows update service because some programs will need it to install needed updates if it's not installed on the system

With this tool or UpdaterDisabler you can leave the update service open and update wont work anyway, also as i remember Edge and Store wont work with Windows update service disabled

knowledge-Spammer
4 hours ago, dcs18 said:

The following implementation is all that was necessary for me to block Windows Update (on any Microsoft OS) on a selective basis:—

A Leak-proof & Tamper-proof Windows Firewall Control (WFC)"

https://www.anonymz.com/<___base_url___>/topic/222515-compilation-of-tutorials-guides-tips-updates/?do=findComment&comment=801376

>? when click on post # 2 no work ?

7 hours ago, knowledge said:
11 hours ago, dcs18 said:

On 8/9/2015 at 4:41 PM, dcs18 said:

"A Leak-proof & Tamper-proof Windows Firewall Control (WFC)"

https://www.anonymz.com/https://nsaneforums.com/topic/222515-compilation-of-tutorials-guides-tips-updates/?do=findComment&comment=801376

>? when click on post # 2 no work ?

The link is fixed. uu0vOfR.gif

20 hours ago, BALTAGY said:

BTW it's not recommended to stop Windows update service because some programs will need it to install needed updates if it's not installed on the system

Just a heads up — have been leaving my Windows Update service disabled for over a decade, now . . . . . without a single issue.

On my implementation, Windows Update enables the usually disabled service and once the process is complete, it disables the service:—

3sIq5ej.png

27 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Just a heads up — have been leaving my Windows Update service disabled for over a decade, now . . . . . without a single issue.

On my implementation, Windows Update enables the usually disabled service and once the process is complete, it disables the service:—

Yes but you don't use all programs on the internet right? I saw many programs install needed updates that missing from the system and make the program work, how i know that ? because i got error while installing it while the service disabled

Also do you use Windows Store and Microsoft Edge while the service disabled ?

Since people use the system in many ways it better to keep it enabled since updates disabled anyway

1 hour ago, dcs18 said:

Don't know what you meant by "all programs on the internet" — but yes, I do quite a bit of beta-testing (you can see some of my favorite programs.)

Windows Store and Microsoft Edge are both pretty much useless — aren't they?? :P

For me personally i agree about store and Edge but not for all people, also something like IDM integration to Edge happen via Store

Another example SketchUp need these updates Windows6.1-KB2999226-x64/Windows8.1-KB2999226-x64/Windows8-RT-KB2999226-x64 so if your running Win7/8 and tried to install it you will get errors

My point is since i can't use all programs all kind of them and since people use the system differently what will harm to keep the service open if the updates disabled in another way and also to keep people without getting errors  

2 minutes ago, BALTAGY said:

Another example SketchUp need these updates Windows6.1-KB2999226-x64/Windows8.1-KB2999226-x64/Windows8-RT-KB2999226-x64 so if your running Win7/8 and tried to install it you will get errors

I don't see the co-relation of having the Windows Update service enabled with what you posted — it's needed to be enabled only for Windows Update. yXZVmpE.gif

5 minutes ago, BALTAGY said:

My point is since i can't use all programs all kind of them and since people use the system differently what will harm to keep the service open if the updates disabled in another way and also to keep people without getting errors  

It's a very well known fact that the Windows Update service is more likely to cause harm when enabled — this is one of the most basic of computing principles.

35 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

I don't see the co-relation of having the Windows Update service enabled with what you posted — it's needed to be enabled only for Windows Update. yXZVmpE.gif

It's a very well known fact that the Windows Update service is more likely to cause harm when enabled — this is one of the most basic of computing principles.

To install these update you must have the service enabled, also personally i kept it enabled for longtime no with no problem at all

11 minutes ago, BALTAGY said:

To install these update you must have the service enabled, <snip>

Exactly my point.

11 minutes ago, BALTAGY said:

<snip> also personally i kept it enabled for longtime no with no problem at all

I have the service disabled for over 12 years on my own systems (and on hundreds of other client machines) with no problem at all.

4 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Exactly my point.

I have the service disabled for over 12 years on my own systems (and on hundreds of other client machines) with no problem at all.

If for example your installing SketchUp with service disabled you will get an error because it needs these updates if these updates are not installed that's my point

Normal user will get lost if a program give him errors while he don't know this program need to install an needed update and he's update service disabled

Understood, but it's the User's responsibility to ensure that those Windows Updates are already in place before attempting to install a non-Windows software like SketchUp which depends upon such critical updates — instead of leaving the service enabled and thus permitting the program to auto-update Windows.

10 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Understood, but it's the User's responsibility to ensure that those Windows Updates are already in place before attempting to install a non-Windows software like SketchUp which depends upon such critical updates — instead of leaving the service was enabled and thus permitting the program to auto-update Windows.

Many users don't know what we are talking about all they know they work with these programs to finish their work

I deal with a lot of users like that that's why i try to keep everything working fine for them without letting them have errors and come to me

Also i was disabling update service just because i wanted to disable the update, now i can disable the update without disabling it

So if any user like to use store or Edge or install a program like that, everything will work fine with him

3 minutes ago, BALTAGY said:

Many users don't know what we are talking about all they know they work with these programs to finish their work

I deal with a lot of users like that that's why i try to keep everything working fine for them without letting them have errors and come to me

Point noted and well taken. uu0vOfR.gif

Archived