Mozilla removes individual cookie management in Firefox 60

ADN

The most recent version of Firefox Nightly, currently at version 60, comes with changes to Firefox's cookie management. Mozilla merged cookie settings with site data in the web browser which impacts how you configure and manage cookie options.

If you run Firefox 59 or earlier, you can load about:preferences#privacy to manage privacy related settings in Firefox. If you set the history to "use custom settings for history" or "remember history", you get an option manage cookie settings and to remove individual cookies from Firefox.

A click on the link or button opens a new browser window in which all set cookies are listed. You can use it to find set cookies, look up information, remove selected or all cookies.

firefox cookies management

Mozilla engineers changed this in recent versions of Firefox 60 (currently on the Nightly channel).

If you open the privacy section of about:preferences, you may notice the following:

• History lists only three options. The "request cookies from websites" option is no longer listed under History.
  • A new Cookies and Site Data section is available. It lists the cookie preferences that were listed under History in previous versions.
  • The "show cookies" link has been removed from the history. It is replaced by a combined management option that includes Site Data and cookies.
  •  

firefox 60 cookie management

Cookie settings moved from "use custom settings for history" to a better location in the preferences. Firefox users who did not select the custom option were probably never exposed to the cookie preferences in first place. Also, all options but one that existed previously are still there, some, however, under a different name.

There is no "show cookies" button anymore; Mozilla moved it to Settings under "Cookies and Site Data". A click on the button displays the new management interface. It looks similar to the cookie management interface of previous versions of Firefox but includes storage as well now.

firefox 60 cookies

The interface lists sites and the number of set cookies and used storage, as well as the time the site was accessed the last time in the browser.

While the new interface looks great, you may notice that it is no longer possible to list or remove individual cookies from Firefox using it.

Mozilla mentions the fact on the official bug listing.

As per our UI concept in bug 1421690 and (finally) following the spec guidelines (https://www.w3.org/TR/webstorage/#privacy) we'd like to merge the cookies settings into the "Site Data" section and move them to top-level.

This also means removing individual cookie management from about:preferences.

This is bad for users who want full control over cookies. While it is possible that Mozilla will implement the removed functionality before Firefox 60 hits the stable channel, Firefox users may use extensions to restore the functionality.  Check out our updated Firefox cookies management guide for a list of extensions that support Firefox 57 and newer, and Firefox 56.x and older.

Google Chrome includes an option to list and remove individual cookies, still.

Ghacks.net

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The native cookie management on Firefox is the one feature that Firefox handles better than any add-on — have just recently even tried the prime cookie-management add-on, Self-Destructing Cookies.

It's a self-inflicted tragedy that Mozilla has decided to gift away its USP — glad though, that I'm running the legacy build (ESR.)

• Administrator

I feel it's really a wrong decision to not be able to remove them individually. Merging both the things however is not necessarily bad, but considering how important these things are individually, should not have been done so.

Personally, I always liked this addon. Nothing too special, just makes it easy and better looking. But then again, like others, its not working in the latest version.

I guess people can try another addon like this.

wtf is going on with this f**king browser seriously? do they just want to piss off the remaining users they have left and make everyone go to Chrome, its been going downhill ever since version 50, removing more and more features and settings and user control, wtf is going on seriously?

I thought the whole point of people using/staying with FF over Chrome is the ability to customize whatever they want, and these cucks seem to keep removing more and more features. I stopped using FireSUCKS since v57 when they killed almost all the extensions, reset the interface to make it look ugly like Chrome, back to ugly square tabs, and everything else.

Because of this crap, everyone I know that liked their extensions has either moved to Cyberfox, Waterfox or Pale Moon. Some even made the switch completely to Chrome or Opera. Keep it up idiots at Mozilla. Keep digging your own grave and then wait to get shot in the head from behind with an AK-47 while you fall into your own pit that you dug yourself. Bunch of idiots.

ESR or staying at v56.0.2 is the only thing left saving this shit browser. Otherwise just change.

23 hours ago, heyyahblah said:

back to ugly square tabs,

Personally, I like em. :P

Remember the butt-ugly Australis UI? Now with the current "New" UI, it seems Mozilla no longer thinks Australis to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. The author of the popular Classic Theme Restorer addon that undid many Australis "features" has created this customisation for the latest horrible FF 57+ UI...

https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx

Read about it here... https://www.ghacks.net/2017/11/13/customize-firefox-57-with-css/

Yep, Mozilla really seems to want to kill off any advantage FF has over Chrap Chrome. Like I keep saying functionality beats form... every... single... time.

I will still try to move to Quantum, but not until I can get the look and feel, and more important the functionality that FF has until 57. And if Mozilla doesn't like that, then they can go and have sexual relations with themselves.

Anyone know where I can find browser usage stats by version? Am curious about how many are sticking with pre-57 versions of FF.

21 minutes ago, Karlston said:

Anyone know where I can find browser usage stats by version? Am curious about how many are sticking with pre-57 versions of FF.

Here...

I use Mozilla Firefox and I like it a lot :) I know that change is bad but ... In Google Chrome (Desktop), in many years, Google did not fix the HORRIBLE thin font :( That is a terrible "feature"/bug that I hate in Chrome

• Administrator
On 2/28/2018 at 6:06 AM, WALLONN7 said:

Here...

Interesting. This suggest a lot of people have changed to the latest version of it.

14 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Interesting. This suggest a lot of people have changed to the latest version of it.

When we know that every install is scheduled to update by default and that the absolute majority of users of any application works on a "yes-ahead-yes-ahead-again" basis during these processes, I'm not surprised... Those measurements / market shares are "false positives" to me...

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, WALLONN7 said:

When we know that every install is scheduled to update by default and that the absolute majority of users of any application works on a "yes-ahead-yes-ahead-again" basis during these processes, I'm not surprised... Those measurements / market shares are "false positives" to me...

Good point.

My personal view is that this time the newer version is accepted more by the users than previously - I can be wrong though. Particularly due it's speed increase that many mention.

What makes me happy is this. It's a long read, even I myself have not read it properly. But makes me think they are indeed trying to do something good with it.

48 minutes ago, Al_Fh said:

Is this true for the Quantum version?

Yep, Quantum is THE intended victim (provided from V60 and above.) :lol:

On 28/2/2018 at 9:17 AM, Archanus said:

Google did not fix the HORRIBLE thin font :(

That is a terrible "feature"/bug that I hate in Chrome.

Can't stand it, too. :yes:

Archived