Your Favorite Torrent Program

I Am Negan

12 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

My Android is locked-up against accessing the net — just a completely uneducated heads-up:—

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=torrent&c=apps

Aren't we talking in this thread about users'  FAVORITE apps and not just a full array of available programs ?

Guess what ?  You probably didn't expected that, but I do use search engines when needed.   :P

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

• Replies 87
  • Views 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dcs18 said:

Let me explain, on one hand — some apps. & programs such as  µTorrent and WhatsApp for desktop get installed into the Application directory which is considered a security risk in the Enterprise world.

On the other hand — some SysAdmins (like me) like to use anti-Execution software such as Process Lasso (at least, in my case.) A very common practice is to block executables of all pedigree that attempt to run from the Application directory.

The installation variant therefore, is a PITA from the security point of view — also, my personal view is that Developers who insist on installing their apps. & programs into the Application directory are writing inherently ill-conceived code that inhibit virus-like behavior.

And if I say that the one described by you above just confirms my statement?!... I guess I was not clear enough and that gave rise to ambiguities about what I said... I'm sorry for that...
I said do not be surprised because I am an observer by nature and I have noticed this in you since your return to NF...
Finally, it's good to know that I'm not rusty... 

7 hours ago, dcs18 said:

Let me explain, on one hand — some apps. & programs such as  µTorrent and WhatsApp for desktop get installed into the Application directory which is considered a security risk in the Enterprise world.

On the other hand — some SysAdmins (like me) like to use anti-Execution software such as Process Lasso (at least, in my case.) A very common practice is to block executables of all pedigree that attempt to run from the Application directory.

The installation variant therefore, is a PITA from the security point of view — also, my personal view is that Developers who insist on installing their apps. & programs into the Application directory are writing inherently ill-conceived code that inhibit virus-like behavior.

I also hate the apps that tries to install itselfves over in AppData directory....so thats why I also use portable one on one system and  on other installed in program files.

uTorrent Pro. The added features are bloat but just not having ads and having material design makes it so much better. If you don't want to buy it you can find a cracked version on TPB. :)

14 hours ago, mona said:

Aren't we talking in this thread about users'  FAVORITE apps

U saw "apps" and thought it's about your Android needs? - wrong place, wrong crowd... create another topic in the right area of this forum dedicated to the platform u're interested in.

Got frustrated when the first useful response came? - 83NSs3i.png

Regarding the topic: i use utorrent out of habit and haven't tried alternatives in years.

Your Favorite Torrent Program

I know you are talking about programs like uTorrent and bit torrent but most important when torrenting is a good VPN with no slowdowns for p2p traffik! 

22 hours ago, mona said:

Aren't we talking in this thread about users'  FAVORITE apps and not just a full array of available programs ?

The trouble with VPNs is the download speed get so slow sometimes. And when you’re downloading something that’s in the gigabytes it really matters.

1 minute ago, Kerry4444 said:

The trouble with VPNs is the download speed get so slow sometimes. And when you’re downloading something that’s in the gigabytes it really matters.

yes thats why you pick one (VPN) wisely. May have to pay for it but may not, depending! :coolwink: 

I generally use WinScribe. I got good results once with them while using my Torrent program. But a lot of the other times it was like dialup speed.

• Administrator

As much as I recommend qBittorrent - I have been pushing for it since the time we have it listed on FP. But couple of days ago I saw this and got a bit worried about it. It's not that this has not happened with other clients, but qBittorrent I believe has done with me before too.

Still, it's better than others overall I think.

Also guys, please be respectful. No need to bring gender in this or to being rude about it.

As for softwares in Appdata directory, I agree. I hated when first time I saw Chrome doing this.

Regarding portable as opposed to install versions, I also prefer the former. So I first tried the portable version of qBittorrent. It seemed to work, but I was occasionally getting funny behavior of the kind described by DKT27 above. It also kept bringing out updates that weren't as easy to  implement without disturbing my settings and torrents. So I reluctantly went over to the installed version, and the problems disappeared.

As for security, it doesn't seem to be much of a problem with Windows 10, touch wood (famous last words!)

On 10/02/2018 at 4:11 PM, dcs18 said:

If u mean APPDATA folders I totally agree with you, and i'm pretty sure this behavior is to "easy up" the auto updates and "NOT" ask for permission to update, I do understand why, this allows apps to be updated even if the user doesn't have admin rights. But this is for sure a bypass of security, they should simply promote a change request to Microsoft to allow software to auto update even when inside "Program Files" folder or even better, the creation of separate folder that would allow that and that could only be used by signed/authorized software.

On 10/02/2018 at 4:19 PM, mona said:

What about the best ANDROID application for torrents ?

I've used uTorrent only, but am far from being impressed with it.

Is there any alternative then ?

I haven't used BiglyBT in the Android yet, but i would give it a try.

I used utorrent with airvpn btw..

1 hour ago, Sylence said:

My favorite torrent program is having no program cause i use online downloader 

I want to go to live in Iran, can you accommodate me? :cheers:

5 hours ago, jamesDDI said:

I used utorrent with airvpn btw..

I want to go to live in Iran, can you accommodate me? :cheers:

Good luck getting beer there. LOL remember to check your freedom at the door.(⊙_⊙)(*・ω・)ノ(⊙_⊙)

Hard to say which is favorite if I only have tested torrenting. Sometimes I've used Brave browser built-in program to download Libre Office as torrent. Brave also supports torrent streaming. Brave is a browser I install one day and uninstall it next day. :yes: Better than Firefox but not good enough for me. :secret:

I'm using anything that doesn't have Pro or Advanced or Extra or Premium in it's name. If anything, then qBittorrent on Desktop, no messing around with firewall, making files read.only or hosts blocking or other headaches, i have no use for torrents on mobile or any other platform. Install & Go. :)

Archived