CPU Temp

Hitman6267

I installed a program called "SpeedFan" and it is telling me my CPU is hot (57-62 degrees Celsius ).

I opened my computer case and spotted 3 fans. 2 in the power supply. One built in the case and a final one mounted on the motherboard (over the CPU I guess...)

According to Speedfan only 2 out of 4 fans are working but when I opened the case all 4 were turning. The fan noise is high. And according to Speedfan fan1 is turning at 1112 RPM and fan4 is turning at 610 RPM.

Any ideas what the problem might be ?

• Replies 31
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

The speed of the fan seems to be slow to me. What is the room temp there?

ANW it is likely that SpeedFan is not capable with your system properly.

I have used SpeedFan in the resent past, the program is good but I was not happy with it, and I felt my Easy Tune 5 or 6 that came with my MOBO is more beter.

what kind of CPU u have?

+ not seeing the 2 other fans means they are not compatible with Speedfan.

Also, kan je change the speed of the fans? Might higher some. Also make ur pc dustfree :)

I would suggest that you chech with Everest. You will sure get exact temperatures. And I would also say that your fan speed is slow. You should check in BIOS to see if you set silent work of fans, and turn off that feature to get max speed of fans.

Cheers ;)

I checked my bios

Processor temp 2585

AUX 0

Front 0

Rear 2000

Processor temp 63

interal 44

remote 37

downloading everest, will be able to provide info after it finishes

I checked my bios

Processor temp 2585

AUX 0

Front 0

Rear 2000

Processor temp 63

interal 44

remote 37

downloading everest, will be able to provide info after it finishes

Screenshot plz? :)

I have to take a pic with a normal cam ? I don't any other way of doing this. And I don't really see the point.

Under sensor in Everest it reads CPU fan 1241 RPM and rear 659 RPM

Screenshot with the "Prt Scrn" putton on ur keyboard..(right from F12..) Paste it in Paint.. and upload it to TinyPic or imageshack.. etc..etc..

Other people can get more out of it than others ;)

Screenshot with the "Prt Scrn" putton on ur keyboard..(right from F12..) Paste it in Paint.. and upload it to TinyPic or imageshack.. etc..etc..

I think he means he can't take a print screen on his BIOS.

I think he means he can't take a print screen on his BIOS.

My bad.. I meant the Everest part thingie :P

57-62 isn't hot for a CPU, depending on what model you've got obviously, but in general it's not that hot. Some AMD CPUs are known to reach temperatures of 100 degrees ;)

I guess you installed SpeedFan to fix the fan noise? I'd rather use the BIOS for this, did you have a look in there yet?

Sorry, shought, but I have to dissagree. That is to much. Although, tehnically some CPU's can reach 100 degrees, that is not normal. Higher temperature like Hitman6267 has is only normal with laptops. For example, my Core2Duo processor is idle at 33-35 degrees. Today, I done some DVD conversion using DVD Rebuilder and CCE encoder, and temp did not pass 52 degrees and processor usage were between 80% and 100%. If he has a single core CPU, then idle temperature should be between 40-45 degrees.

@Hitman6267

Which motherboard and which CPU do you have? Also, like I suggested, look for some Hardware Monitor in BIOS and see if you can control speed of fans.

Cheers ;)

Fan noise is generated by dirt..You have to see your particular model of fan, but mine (laptop) has the motor inside a fanblade housing..I was getting little grinding noises and the fan kept spinning out..I was told this was from buildup of dust/dirt in the bearings.. I would shut down your system.. take your fans apart carefully use and air duster.. and a Q-tip to clean all parts of the fan.. including removing your fan blades from the motor .. you may want to search online for a manual for your model/make..

Mine had a little stationary electrical motor with a part in the very center that would spin using the field generated..I think by sequencing the modules..the fan had a metal ring which set inside the plastic about an 1/8 of an inch.. I had to air dust the center several times using the hole the fan went into.. I also had to clean the inside lip of the fan which hid the motor..and the q-tip removed a TON more than the air duster ever would.

One more note I seem to coming across a lot lately especially with older tower units.. is the fan inside the transformer housing.. usually at the top/back of the unit. These fans will stop, making the transformer overheat, and shut off.. causing repetitive crashes. Even having the fans spinning slow will/can cause this issue.. So make sure you don't forget to check it.. also remember here when we are talking temperatures, that 100 degrees Celsius is about 212 degrees Fahrenheit for those who are using the English not Metric system.. My laptop clean and running like it should runs at about have way between 0 and 100 Celsius and a little less on a scale of 0 - 212..Fahrenheit...

One more note is that a lot of people will start removing duct work from inside their system.. this really isn't advisable as it will start to circulate hot air.. So make sure you put everything back when your done..Good opportunity to do a thorough cleaning of the inside of your system..

After you have done all of this .. THEN I would use the programs you mentioned to monitor your fans.. and you may even look into overclocking once you get things under control..if your system will allow for fan control.. you should be able to do that as well..but not advisable unless you can crank those fans up a little.. :thumbsup:

@heath28m

First of all thank you that long post. I already cleaned my case the best I could. But I did take apart anything. Will try to look up guides but I doubt that I'll do anything because I'm scared of breaking components.

I'm guessing the best way to go if for me to make an Everest report but I don't know what to select in the report wizard. So if some one would tell me what information I should provide.

@Shought

My main concern is the temperature of the CPU. The temperature I posted were taken at startup (with no programs running...) but getting rid of the fan noise is certainly a plus.

I have a Intel Pentium D CPU and an Intel Sorento D945GNT motherboard.

Sorry, shought, but I have to dissagree. That is to much. Although, tehnically some CPU's can reach 100 degrees, that is not normal. Higher temperature like Hitman6267 has is only normal with laptops. For example, my Core2Duo processor is idle at 33-35 degrees. Today, I done some DVD conversion using DVD Rebuilder and CCE encoder, and temp did not pass 52 degrees and processor usage were between 80% and 100%. If he has a single core CPU, then idle temperature should be between 40-45 degrees.

@Hitman6267

Which motherboard and which CPU do you have? Also, like I suggested, look for some Hardware Monitor in BIOS and see if you can control speed of fans.

Cheers ;)

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?...t=maxtemp.shtml

Really, a temperature between 57 and 61 is no problem. It's better if it's lower, I agree with that. You know we had a PC that could reach 100 degrees when I was doing some encoding on it, with an AMD processor :P And it never stopped working :D

It's a fact that AMD CPUs always get hotter than Intels ;)

The best thinng that you should do is replace CPU fan and apply new termal paste to CPU. Since your computer is that old, I suppose that fans are also old. You can get some really good fans for cheap price.

Cheers ;)

• Administrator

My PC is also old. Applyin thermal paste again always works for me.

• Administrator

Six months ago I bought a LCD Monitor. Till then I was usin a 8-9 years old 14 inch' CRT monitor. :yes:

When I got my laptop .. off course and went with the customizing I have.. my headaches stopped and my eyes LOOoOvEd me for it...LOL.. For real..

According to Speedfan only 2 out of 4 fans are working but when I opened the case all 4 were turning.

Under sensor in Everest it reads CPU fan 1241 RPM and rear 659 RPM

Briefly these are your data's :

(RPM)..........CPU fan ...........rear fan .........fan3 ..........fan4

Speedfan ........1112 ..............610 ..............0 ...............0

Bios ...............2585 ..............2000 ............0 ...............0

Everest.......... 1241............... 659

Could you please have a look inside your computer and check the connectors of your fans:

The connectors type could be 2 Pin, 3 pin or 4pin plug.

You should have these wires ( 3 and 4 are optional):

1- +V

2- Ground

3- Sensor

4- speed control

Meaning you have the voltage and the ground to power the fan.

and the sense reports the fan's RPM back to the motherboard "tachometer"

I expect that two of your fans have a 2 pin connectors (no sensor). This is why The Bios and Speedfan report 0 RPM.

Now the difference in speed between Speedfan, Everest is related to the measurement and calculation errors and references .They are not professional tools. 

Here is some samples:

40mm case fan2 pin unit

40mmcasefan2pinunit.jpg

fan connector 3 pin

afanconnector3pin.jpg

fan with 2 +1 pin connector

2and1pin.jpg

CPU 4 pin or 3 pin connectors:

4pinor3pinfanconnectoro.jpg

I use this as a reference to the max temp for processors.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/143/5

Archived