Why windows has so many vulnerabilities and updates

straycat19

straycat19

I recently read an article about another Microsoft layoff and came across this fact in it

At the end of March 2017, Microsoft employed 121,567 worldwide. A year ago, approximately 50,000 of Microsoft's employees were engaged in sales, marketing, and services jobs.

Almost half their workforce is not working on software but on selling the crap the other half is producing.  Obviously they aren't doing a very good job because the 3000 current layoffs are coming out of the sales and marketing services.

You can read the whole article here.

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, why does Windows have so many vulnerabilities and updates? ;)

You obviously don't know that the big Steam network and community have only few people running it about 10 more or less. less than 5 people can change the codes. at least read their previous public conferences on reddit or somewhere. now you come here and conclude that Microsoft is wrong and you single person is right? lol thanks for the joke

27 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

...  have only few people running ...

A nice quote by James C. Maxwell:

The numbers may be said to rule the whole world of quantity, and the four rules of arithmetic may be regarded as the complete equipment of the mathematician.   :flowers:

Quantity <not=> Quality.   

Microsoft Windows has a huge market share, used worldwide not only by millions of users but also on a wide variety of devices that mac doesn't have. Just think how many motherboards, printers, hard drives and so forth Microsoft has to make sure is compatible with its operating system. With each device needing its own driver to function, there are going to be vulnerabilities. Microsoft does a good job of patching them as quickly as possible, nothing is perfect. Keep in mind Microsoft is the target of hackers trying to find holes in its operating system because of its popularity. You can argue doesn't mac and linux also have hackers looking for holes in it's operating systems, of course, they do but on a much smaller scale.

If you look at the timeline from Windows 98 to Windows 10, security has been vastly improved, not perfect by far, but getting there. I don't think Windows out of the box will ever be secure, that's why the end user needs to keep up with the updates, not install suspicious software and keep active a good internet security/malware program and keep it up to date. I know a lot of people who install freeware from sites like download.com or never install any kiind of av app  and wonder why their pc is running so slow. 

VIKTOR PAVEL

With respect to Linux & Mac users, despite what article say i will never change windows for linux or mac!

vulnerability every where in all systems not only windows

Windows is most used in the world - attacks, vulnerabilties and updates is exponential

19 minutes ago, VIKTOR PAVEL said:

vulnerability every where in all systems not only windows ...

Larger the elephant, greater the number of dogs following and barking at it.   ;)

Have seen many replies on discussions veer off-topic — this is the first time I ever noticed the OP going off-topic. :lol:

13 hours ago, adi said:

Why does Windows have so many vulnerabilities and updates?

If Windows had had Not so many Vulnerabilities,

then they wouldn't have been Windows in the first place. :tooth:

• 2 months later...

It is very simple, the objective of Microsoft she wants to sell services this is the new model of the company, according to my understanding...
Each new version of Windows 10, only has one year of support this is absurd, they do, what they want and how they want and like all companies, they want money and a lot...
The reason for having so many bugs is very simple, what sense would it have if it had not?
Microsoft, could not sell other products, if only one was perfect....

On 09/07/2017 at 2:00 PM, virge said:

Microsoft Windows has a huge market share, used worldwide not only by millions of users but also on a wide variety of devices that mac doesn't have. Just think how many motherboards, printers, hard drives and so forth Microsoft has to make sure is compatible with its operating system. With each device needing its own driver to function, there are going to be vulnerabilities. Microsoft does a good job of patching them as quickly as possible, nothing is perfect. Keep in mind Microsoft is the target of hackers trying to find holes in its operating system because of its popularity. You can argue doesn't mac and linux also have hackers looking for holes in it's operating systems, of course, they do but on a much smaller scale.

If you look at the timeline from Windows 98 to Windows 10, security has been vastly improved, not perfect by far, but getting there. I don't think Windows out of the box will ever be secure, that's why the end user needs to keep up with the updates, not install suspicious software and keep active a good internet security/malware program and keep it up to date. I know a lot of people who install freeware from sites like download.com or never install any kiind of av app  and wonder why their pc is running so slow. 

Do you remember Windows Vista? that crap...
They took everything that had open source linux and made Windows 7 ...

19 minutes ago, 12stones said:

Do you remember Windows Vista? that crap...
They took everything that had open source linux and made Windows 7 ...

I remember dealing with Windows ME (Migraine Edition), that was total crap. Vista was a little better.

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:38 PM, adi said:

So, why does Windows have so many vulnerabilities and updates? ;)

because it is always in the alpha stage :troll: 

• 3 months later...

The topic title poses a very reasonable question.

By me, the ultimate answer would be, "Because there are no patches either for the incompetence of the system developers or the greed of hackers". (Katzenfreund)

Archived