Operation ‘Pirate On Demand’ Blocks Pirate IPTV Portals

Batu69

A crackdown on groups that provide unauthorized IPTV services has continued today with the blocking of several portals. Operation 'Pirate On Demand' is being carried out by the Guardia di Finanza (GdF), a department under Italy's Minister of Economy and Finance. Nine locations have been blocked so far and two people have been arrested.

image_mini.jpg

Via cheap set-top boxes, IPTV services (Internet Protocol TV) allow people to access thousands of live TV channels in their living rooms for a nominal fee.

Some of these services are available for just a few euros, dollars or pounds per month, often in HD quality.

While service levels can vary, some of the best also offer comprehensive Video On Demand (VOD), with hundreds and in some cases thousands of movies and TV shows on tap, supported by catch-up TV. Given their professional nature, the best IPTV products are proving a real thorn in the side for rights holders, who hope to charge ten times the money while delivering a lesser product.

As a result, crackdowns against IPTV providers, resellers and other people in the chain are underway across the world, but Europe in particular. Today’s news comes from Italy, where Operation “Pirate On Demand” is hoping to make a dent in IPTV piracy.

The operation is being headed up by the Guardia di Finanza (GdF), a department under Italy’s Minister of Economy and Finance. Part of the Italian Armed Forces, GdF says it has targeted nine sites involved in the unlawful distribution of content offered officially by local media giants Mediaset and Sky.

The authorities received assistance of a specialized team from the local anti-piracy group DCP, which operates on behalf of a broad range of entertainment industry companies.

According to GdF, a total of 89 servers were behind the portals which together delivered an estimated 178 terabytes of pirate content, ranging from TV shows and sports, to movies and children’s entertainment.

The nine portals are in the process of being blocked with some displaying the following message.

Seizure notice on the affected sitesiptv-italy.jpg

The investigation began in September 2016 and was coordinated by Giangiacomo Pilia, the prosecutor at the Cagliari Court. Thus far, two people have been arrested.

A person arrested in the Varese area, who police believe is the commercial director of an illicit platform, has been charged with breaching copyright law.

A second individual arrested in Macerata is also suspected of copyright offenses, having technically managed the platform. Computer equipment, decoders, smart cards, and other electronic devices were also seized.

In addition to blocking various web portals, measures will now be taken to block the servers being used to supply the IPTV services. The GdF has also delivered a veiled threat to people who subscribed to the illicit services.

“It is also in the hands of investigators the position of those who have actively accessed the platforms by purchasing pirated subscriptions and thus benefiting by taking advantage,” GdF said.

The moves this week are the latest to take place under the Operation “Pirate On Demand” banner. Back in March, authorities moved to shut down and block 15 portals offering illegal IPTV access to Mediaset and Sky channels.

TorrentFreak

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
galaxyquestor

"...a real thorn in the side for rights holders, who hope to charge ten times the money while delivering a lesser product."

And there it is - in all of its disgusting, greedy, monopolistic corporate filthiness. 

It isn't even capitalism, the way it is now - it's corporatism, monopoly-by-bribery, and just theft. 

These "rights-holders" are no different than the oil monopolies - it's just data monopoly. Our entire civilization is being methodically sucked dry of every freedom, every Euro, every dollar, and every bit of freedom in the hands of the citizens. I'm so sick of corporate thieves, and Incorporated Pirate monopolies, and their lock on the legal system, on politicians, and of their intent to siphon off everything into the hands of a few hundred people, at the expense of billions of voiceless, powerless people. 

This paradigm can't continue forever, and the more they squeeze, stab, crush, blackmail and bribe their way to more power, and more money, the worse it will be for these thieves,when it all collapses. Apparently, none of them remember the French Revolution...

1 hour ago, galaxyquestor said:

This paradigm can't continue forever, and the more they squeeze, stab, crush, blackmail and bribe their way to more power, and more money, the worse it will be for these thieves,when it all collapses. Apparently, none of them remember the French Revolution...

Them being like this predates the internet itself there is no hope in this ever stopping them as long people are addicted too media only way would be  is too stop watching the stuff they produce.   back before the internet is was mostly black satellite and illegal cable boxes  they  went after these pirates for years and after they got it almost under control   last year about a million cut the cord on there cable and satellite boxes  you think they are not going take and cut you're cord back when  they lost that many too the internet lol.

http://www.thewrap.com/812000-cut-the-cord-q2-2016-cord-cutting-accelerates-comcast-dish-directv-time-warner-cable-verizon/

What's the difference in steaming a show as soon as it comes and watching it a hour latter once it gets on p2p and download/streaming sites?  Don't never get too comfortable. When I started out  , iMesh, Kazaa, Morpheus, etc was the thing there all gone now only very few  methods have stood the test of time and they may be replaced with something else soon and  pirating via Kodi it don't look like its going too hold up under the test of time.

3 hours ago, steven36 said:

Morpheus, etc was the thing there all gone now

If you want to relive the good old days (and they were) you can download it here.  Have a nice day. :D

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/morpheus/

6 hours ago, straycat19 said:

If you want to relive the good old days (and they were) you can download it here.  Have a nice day. :D

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/morpheus/

i dont think it work right File_Girl71 The person who modded these Gnutella  apps too keep them working right has not been active since 2015 and she said she was having trouble with this one back in 2015 and never updated  a fix for it. not being compatible with Windows 7 it was released for XP .

File_Girl71  March 3rd, 2015

let's face the reality for Morpheus Basic and Ultra has began to slowly die out! Three things have happen to Morpheus P2P Client since it get shut down in 2008, and that is this: morpheus.com chat has been shut down and Morpheus has big problem to run on modern pc hardware under newer MS OS, also the Neo Network is no longer connecting or working... Morpheus is still connecting and working with Gnutella 1/2 under Windows XP SP3 with IE 6 and probably will also working with Vista, and Morpheus is not working good under Windows 7 even with Windows 7 compatibility mode enabled and I have not tested Morpheus Under Windows 8/8.1 since I do not like it or have it!

All that will happen is they bust some and others pick it up, change name, domain, url, etc.  The game continues.  :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
galaxyquestor
On 6/29/2017 at 2:17 PM, steven36 said:

Them being like this predates the internet itself there is no hope in this ever stopping them as long people are addicted too media only way would be  is too stop watching the stuff they produce.   back before the internet is was mostly black satellite and illegal cable boxes  they  went after these pirates for years and after they got it almost under control   last year about a million cut the cord on there cable and satellite boxes  you think they are not going take and cut you're cord back when  they lost that many too the internet lol.

http://www.thewrap.com/812000-cut-the-cord-q2-2016-cord-cutting-accelerates-comcast-dish-directv-time-warner-cable-verizon/

What's the difference in steaming a show as soon as it comes and watching it a hour latter once it gets on p2p and download/streaming sites?  Don't never get too comfortable. When I started out  , iMesh, Kazaa, Morpheus, etc was the thing there all gone now only very few  methods have stood the test of time and they may be replaced with something else soon and  pirating via Kodi it don't look like its going too hold up under the test of time.

I'm pretty old -  66 this year - and when I began to realize the possibilities to access applications, books, movies and music, no P2P application or protocol had been conceived of yet. There was a collection of hundreds or thousands of Newsgroups, based on the original concept of DARPA when they began experimenting with networking over distance. Web sites were few, and very primitive. It would take incredible patience at the baud rate of the existing modems to download anything - an hour for a picture. The media is important - it is allowing the rest of the world to access concepts and technologies they have no way of ever getting without file-sharing that media. There are entire populations who depend on the spread of this media to maintain contact with the outside world that their Elites have barred them from - like putting them in a knowledge (a data) prison.

The only way to collect the data you wanted to re-assemble into the original application or media when all this started was to access the correct newsgroup and slowly download - piece by piece - the broken-up files, and then reassemble them when you had them all.

Many corrupted files, and the necessity to add, with primitive winrar, or other methods to reassemble the pieces, extra pieces to recover the original archive, had to be sent with them, and was an integral part of achieving the final download. This is no longer necessary.

And yet, for all the work and patience it took me, and so many like me, kept at it. This patience and knowledge has been largely lost by younger people today who want everything - instantly, and are furious when they can't get it.

I'm not sure the need of people who simply can't afford what is offered through piracy will ever go away - the need to achieve some parity with those who CAN afford it is too great. 

I have seen the P2P distribution of so much that is important - and so much that isn't - morph again, and again, and again - always those who wish to share have found new ways of doing so. 

"Piracy" is like a many-headed snake - for every one of those groups or individuals who wish to prevent the democratization and distribution of material, and cut off one method of doing so, three more pop up.

The irony is, that contrary to the companies who fear their profits will be diminished, these profits always continue to increase, as they simply incorporate these methods of distribution into a new economic model. 

P2P, and its ability to thrive, has brought into being un-thought of, and unbelievably precise methods, of data distribution.

Once begun, it seemed obvious from the beginning that this was a "war" and a "cat-and-mouse" game that would only lead to better and better methods of data distribution, and I think that the thing called "piracy" has been responsible for a huge and positive development in the capability of the Internet to Democratize knowledge. It has changed entire cultures, and is slowly bringing our world-wide cultures closer and closer.

So, bless the "pirates," and the innovators, and the spread of technologies, applications, and music - it will never be 'killed' or 'put to rest,' because the technologies of data distribution are now so diverse (along with things like the Tor network, proxies embedded in browsers, DNS changers at the push of a button, and so on), that it has simply gone too far to ever be extinguished. 

Thanks for you posts, and your efforts on behalf of this site.

I look forward to as many changes before I die as I have seen since the birth of the internet itself, and it is people like yourself, and so many others, who work tirelessly to keep sharing alive, that gives me this hope. 

Peace.

Archived