best security

Guest grandcommander

• Replies 57
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tip: :P use the search function.

av: nod32 - its small, fast, good updatesystem, and detects more malware than any other according to several tests.

fw: outpost - im used to it, it works and i love it.

spyware: spybot sd, adaware - use firefox and adblock + adblock filterset g, and youll NEVER get ANY spyware. :sneaky:

edit: wow, this is even in the wrong place. great post grandcommander ^^

BitDefender Internet Security has all the safety you will ever need..

Best Antivirus/Firewall Software out !

..If you dont believe me, i got proof Bitdefender is the BEST

:sneaky:

Guest grandcommander

My current security pack is:

firewall: Zone Alarm(the one with antivirus,anti-spyware)

antivirus: NOD32

anti-spyware: spy sweeper,spyware doctor,counter spy,trend micro anti-spyware.......

I know that i'm the only one that usues Zone Alarm here ,but i didn't have any problem with it for over a year now.

• Administrator
av: nod32 - its small, fast, good updatesystem, and detects more malware than any other according to several tests.

Please show me this "test" of yours.

..If you dont believe me, i got proof Bitdefender is the BEST

Please post your "proof".

The statement the "best" is very opinionated. There is no "best" only the product that suits your needs the most.

Please show me this "test" of yours.
It was a long time ago, and i cant find the link. But i remember nod32 completing the scan fastet, consuming the least recources, and finding more viruses than the others in the test (about 25 others). Thats why i changed to nod32 in the first place..

• Administrator

One test means nothing.

NOD32's scan speed has decreased considerably with the introduction of "advanced heuristics" (emulation).

Some AV's use less "systeam resources" than NOD32, Dr.Web, F-Prot for example.

Kaspersky AV is known to have the best overall detection ratios.

i wouldent say it means nothing :P it meant what it said. it was a big test and very thoroughly done. and if im not entierly wrong, advanced heuristics is turned off by default.. i havent used kapersky at all, but ive seen it score great on all tests as well..

• Administrator

How many files where used in the test of detection ratios and for scanning speed.

You need as many peices of malware as you can get your hands on for detection ratio (a minimum is 250k unique files(excluding rapcked/ rebased files), these needs to be variety of different types etc, 500k gets you a more realistic account of detection ratios).

For speed testing you need different types of files, various packers, archives, documents, executable etc. Different scanners scan different file types at different speed. You also need to factor in unpacking etc... faster scanning speed doesn't always mean better.

I agree with the fact that it is up to what suits you best.

AV : Nod32 It monitors most everythig, doesn't use up a lot of memory, simple to use, and most of all stays out of my way while still doing a great job.

spyware/ adware protection : spy sweaper works great, I also use Spybot Search & Destroy.

But there are a lot of other things you need to consider to keep your PC working efficiently.

Try using tools like Crap Cleaner, Perfect Disc, Memory Turbo, Drive Image.

These are just a few that I use. The best way to determine the best for you is to just try them out for a couple of days each then you can figure out which ones work best for you. If you dont like the way they work use a good uninstaller remove it and try another. Thats what I did. :P

You could if you have an extra computer try making a Drive Image (so you can restore it if nessesary) intentionally download some viruses and spyware and run your own tests and give us a report of your findings to help the rest of us out. Sounds like a good project for someone with the time, ability, knowhow and resources, But for me I am sticking with what works good for me now

How many files where used in the test of detection ratios and for scanning speed.

You need as many peices of malware as you can get your hands on for detection ratio (a minimum is 250k unique files(excluding rapcked/ rebased files), these needs to be variety of different types etc, 500k gets you a more realistic account of detection ratios).

For speed testing you need different types of files, various packers, archives, documents, executable etc. Different scanners scan different file types at different speed. You also need to factor in unpacking etc... faster scanning speed doesn't always mean better.

Sounds like someone definately knows how to run a great test.

lots of stuff..
Sounds logical.
Sounds like someone definately knows how to run a great test.
Im guessing the people who did the test im talking about also know how to. :P Or is that some super classified ninjutsu-testing-technique, that no one else knows about Lite? If it is, you might get rich! :doh: It was a big test.

And as i have said, very thoroughly done. I trusted it, and I am very critical to those type of things.

But I agree of course, no one can say what "the best" av is. In the end its individual, your own opinion, and whats best for your system.

My current security pack is:

firewall: Zone Alarm(the one with antivirus,anti-spyware)

antivirus: NOD32

anti-spyware: spy sweeper,spyware doctor,counter spy,trend micro anti-spyware.......

I know that i'm the only one that usues Zone Alarm here ,but i didn't have any problem with it for over a year now.

Are there any conflicts between the antivirus part of ZoneAlarm and NOD32? Cause normally more than one antivirus software causes problems.

• Administrator
And as i have said, very thoroughly done. I trusted it, and I am very critical to those type of things.

What about these tests, what do you think?

http://www.virus.gr/

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1260/

http://www.av-comparatives.org

http://av-test.mycity.co.yu/index_en.html

And these certifications:

http://www.virusbtn.com/

http://www.icsalabs.com/

http://www.westcoastlabs.org/

http://www.checkvir.com/

What else should we look in a product in a product except resource usuage and detection ratios?

@eXtortiOn, as i told you earlier. Toptenreviews work on commision... The company that gives them the most commision gets the top rating. Clicky , google is your freind too.

Guest grandcommander

No there are no conficts,everything works fine.I had problems when i used avg,mcafee and bitdefender but no problems with nod 32.

Zone Alarm's antivirus works very good,but you can never be 100% safe.

What about these tests, what do you think? _ _ _ And these certifications:

What else should we look in a product in a product except resource usuage and detection ratios?

They look fine? I cant really see what point your trying to prove here? Of course there are loads of stuff to look at in a product? As i said it all comes down to what works best for you and for your system.. :P

• Administrator
They look fine? I cant really see what point your trying to prove here?

The point i'm making is ALL those tests i posted have flaws in them. If you cannot find these flaws, unfortuantly you are in a position to idenify weather a test is "throughough" or even accurate. I'm not saying i am though.

LemonHead2089

GOOD LUCK pulling that one out of him :rolleyes:

Working with security bundles everyday, I made my choices...but the best security avaliable is surely the mouse clicks. Good sense is very good on internet.. :lol: Anyway, if you can´t recognize suspects process or files (I do this by myself, but sometimes using hijack this!...when I´m lazy) try any of these solutions in each category:

Anti-Virus:

1) Kaspersky

2) NOD32

3) BitDefender

Anti-Spywares:

1) CounterSpy

2) Trend Micro AS

3) SpySweeper

Firewall:

1) ZoneAlarm Pro

2) Outpost

3) Sunbelt Kerio