How to pin Run to the taskbar or the Start menu in Windows 10

Batu69

Unlike the good old Start menu in Windows 7, the Start menu in Windows 10 do not come with an easy option to add the Run command. Many users prefer to have a clickable item to open the Run dialog. Personally, I love and always use Win + R keyboard shortcut, but for mouse and touchpad users who really miss the Run item in Windows 10's Start Menu, here is a very simple way to get something similar to Windows 7's Run command.

To pin "Run" to the taskbar or the Start screen, you need to follow these simple instructions below.

1. Right click in an empty area of the Desktop and select the New -> Shortcut context menu item to open the Create Shortcut wizard.

Windows 10 new shortcut

2. Type the following in the Location text box of the wizard:

explorer shell:::{2559a1f3-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}

windows-10-create-run-shortcut

3. Click Next and complete the steps in the wizard to finish creating your new shortcut. Give it a name and an icon according to your preferences.

windows-10-name-run-shortcut

windows-10-run-shortcut-icon

windows-10-run-shortcut-ready

4. Now right click the shortcut and select "Pin to Taskbar" or "Pin to Start". The Run item will be pinned to the appropriate location:

windows-10-run-pin-to-start-1

windows-10-run-pin-to-start-2

windows-10-run-pin-to-taskbar-1

windows-10-run-pin-to-taskbar-2

This trick uses the standard Windows feature called "Shell Folder" to directly open the item you need. Shell folders are ActiveX objects that implement a special virtual folder or a virtual applet. In some cases, they provide access to physical folders on your hard drive or to special OS functionality like "Show Desktop" or the Alt+Tab switcher. You can access an Active object via shell:::{GUID} commands from the "Run" dialog. For a complete list of GUIDs, refer to the most comprehensive list of shell locations in Windows 10.

Credit to

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very strange, this is in the Windows 10 Start menu perfectly available and the opportunity to be used is the same as any other icons using. Located in the Windows System folder. It is also available in the right-click menu (click the Start icon on the right mouse button).

Simply run it and pin to taskbar as any other icon.

1 hour ago, Kalju said:

It is also available in the right-click menu (click the Start icon on the right mouse button).

Exactly! :yes:

As simple as that. :coolwink:

4 hours ago, Kalju said:

Very strange, this is in the Windows 10 Start menu perfectly available and the opportunity to be used is the same as any other icons using. Located in the Windows System folder. It is also available in the right-click menu (click the Start icon on the right mouse button).

Not everyone  wants a 100 icons pined to there taskbar that defeats the point in having  a start menu at all  . you're way would not be the right way for everyone still no way to pin it to the start menu.

You can use everything search, Search for run.ink  then copy it into windows accessories icon folder from the start menu , open file location were IE is. then you can pin it  to were ever .from the start menu 

Snap2.png

Snap3.png

You can do the Control Panel the same way even my calculator  is the Windows 7  one even, i removed the one from the store  :P

Snap4.png

I do tweaks to windows 10 all the time . :  :)

2 hours ago, steven36 said:

Not everyone  wants a 100 icons pined to there taskbar that defeats the point in having  a start menu at all  . you're way would not be the right way for everyone still no way to pin it to the start menu.

Spoiler

You can use everything search, Search for run.ink  then copy it into windows accessories icon folder from the start menu , open file location were IE is. then you can pin it  to were ever .from the start menu 

Snap2.png

Snap3.png

You can do the Control Panel the same way even my calculator  is the Windows 7  one even, i removed the one from the store  :P

Snap4.png

I do tweaks to windows 10 all the time . :  :)

Nothing do not understand what you're saying. What a hundred? It is probably over dose....

51 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Nothing do not understand what you're saying. What a hundred? It is probably over dose....

I seen it in one of the topics  here were some do this its ugly even in Firefox  i use Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar so things dont be cluttered  .Microsoft  blamed users for  pining  programs to the taskbar in Windows 7 trough them taken telemetry for the reason they remove the start menu from Windows 8 you better be careful  if you dont use something they will remove it or  hide it and place the blame on the consumer  lol.

This all i keep on mine right now  i like to keep my pc clean  and neat like my i like too keep my house. i dont want be tripping from stuff being all over the place . Youre PC should be treated like you're house if you use it a lot.

Snap5.png

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

I seen it in one of the topics...

Now is clear, now I understand. I agree with You and do not see any reason to put it there. And anyway I do not see no problem with this thing.

Thanks.

Archived