Disable the Windows 10 Lock Screen (Anniversary Update)

Batu69

As you may know, Microsoft disabled some policies from working on Windows 10 Pro systems in the Anniversary Update.

Among the things that Windows 10 Pro admins cannot configure anymore is the lock screen behavior, or more precisely, the policy to turn off the lock screen.

While the lock screen may have its uses on some systems, it is just a delay for others who don't require its functionality and want the sign in done as quickly as possible.

Another reason why Windows 10 users may not want to see the lock screen is that Microsoft did use it to display ads (in form of wallpapers) in the past. While it is still possible to turn off lock screen ads in Windows 10's Anniversary Update edition, disabling the lock screen entirely cannot be done anymore using the Group Policy.

Good news is, there is still a method to turn off the lock screen in the latest version of Windows 10 (discovered on the Quarter of Three forum).

Disable the Windows 10 Lock Screen (Anniversary Update)

The method below uses a Windows tasks for turning off the lock screen in the latest version of Windows 10. It adds a key to the Registry that Windows seems to honor once only. That's why a task needs to be used and adding the key manually to the Registry won't make the fix permanent.

Step 1: Open the Windows Task Scheduler

windows task scheduler

First step is to open the Windows Task Scheduler to add a new task to it. Tap on the Windows-key, type Task Scheduler and select the matching entry from the results.

Step 2: Creating the Task

create task

Click on Create Task under Actions on the right-sidebar of the Task Scheduler interface once it opens on the system.

Step 3: Disable Windows 10 Lock Screen: General Tab

disable windows 10 lock screen

The first tab that opens is the general tab. Make the following adjustments on it:

• Name: Disable Windows Lock Screen.
  • Check "Run with highest privileges".
  • Configure for: Windows 10.

Step 4: Disable Windows 10 Lock Screen: Triggers Tab

triggers

Add the following two triggers (one after the other) by switching to the Triggers tab and clicking on the new button.

The only change you need to make is select the following parameters under "begin the task". Leave everything as is, and hit okay to save the trigger.

• First trigger: at log on
  • Second trigger: on workstation unlock of any user

trigger 2

Step 5: Actions

disable windows 10 lock screen action

Open the Actions tab and click on the new button there.

Keep "start a program" selected there and add the following information to the settings fields:

• Program/script: reg
  • Add arguments (optional): add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\SessionData /t REG_DWORD /v AllowLockScreen /d 0 /f

Click on ok to save the new action.

action disable lock screen

Testing

Once you have configured and added the new task, you may want to run tests to make sure it works correctly. The easiest way to do so is to use Windows-L to lock the desktop. You may also restart the PC if you prefer that to test that behavior as well.

You will notice that the lock screen is skipped automatically on log in again.

Credit to

• Replies 14
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this it works for eveyone.

This method will always work whether its the new Windows 10 Anniversary Update or previous Windows 10 RTM or November Update build.

Actually Lock Screen is shown by an exe file LockApp.exe present in C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy folder and if you delete or rename this folder, Windows will be unable to find the file and will never show Lock Screen.

For your convenience, we are sharing the same trick again here:

1. Open This PC and go to "C:\Windows\SystemApps" folder.

2. Now rename "Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy" folder. Just add anything before the original folder name. For example you can add BACK or ! (Exclamation mark) or any desired text before folder name.

GMobNWN.png

We renamed the folder to !Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy and it immediately disabled the Lock Screen completely in Windows 10.

NOTE: If you find any difficulty in renaming the folder, take ownership of the folder first using any of following tutorial and then rename the folder:

That's it guys. You can safely rename the Lock Screen folder and it'll have no side effects. You can see in the screenshot that we have also renamed Contact Support, Cortana and Xbox folders to get rid of those apps as well.

Take Ownership

http://media.askvg.com/downloads/2007/10/Add-Take-Ownership-Option.zip

Source :

http://www.askvg.com/tip-disable-or-remove-windows-10-lock-screen/

I only using the reg-key ( allow/dissallow) and it works fine , no lockscreen here............:D

7 minutes ago, Pete 12 said:

I only using the reg-key ( allow/dissallow) and it works fine , no lockscreen here............:D

that method dont work for everyone..  the one posted in the 1st post dont seem to work for some and it dont work for logon  the method I post work for everyone. I read somewhere if you upgrade and not clean install some stuff keeps working as well . :) 

You are right steven, ( some) settings did not change after the update...........:D

I have seen the lockscreen only once,with first reboot in Redstone 1, it did not came back again.

5 hours ago, steven36 said:

I found this it works for eveyone.

This method will always work whether its the new Windows 10 Anniversary Update or previous Windows 10 RTM or November Update build.

Actually Lock Screen is shown by an exe file LockApp.exe present in C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy folder and if you delete or rename this folder, Windows will be unable to find the file and will never show Lock Screen.

For your convenience, we are sharing the same trick again here:

1. Open This PC and go to "C:\Windows\SystemApps" folder.

2. Now rename "Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy" folder. Just add anything before the original folder name. For example you can add BACK or ! (Exclamation mark) or any desired text before folder name.

GMobNWN.png

We renamed the folder to !Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy and it immediately disabled the Lock Screen completely in Windows 10.

NOTE: If you find any difficulty in renaming the folder, take ownership of the folder first using any of following tutorial and then rename the folder:

That's it guys. You can safely rename the Lock Screen folder and it'll have no side effects. You can see in the screenshot that we have also renamed Contact Support, Cortana and Xbox folders to get rid of those apps as well.

don't work for me..when I hit Win+L user account need password for login.. any trick? (Win10 anniversary update)

9e35280abf89482391904c7c3907dfff.jpeg

don't work for me..when I hit Win+L user account need password for login.. any trick? (Win10 anniversary update)

same here

2 hours ago, SabotaSe said:

you want to login in without password thats not  removing the lockscreen thats different

to login without a password on windows 10 info

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login-in-windows-10/

do the 1st method with Netplwiz

steven36,

Unfortunately, Anniversary Update bring back the annoying circle with the User Picture in the Login Screen, and Windows 10 Login Changer 1.5 cannot remove it.

Try this ,if nothing helps ;:D

The new lockdown on Group Policy Editor settings in Windows 10 Pro means I can't turn off the lock screen any more. That'd be no big deal, except I use Dragon Dictate for accessibility: somehow, that stays active and always-on-top on the lock screen, which means anyone can tell it to listen, and issue commands to my logged-in session, "behind" the lock screen.

This is... not good.

Has anyone figured out a way to turn the lock screen back off? (Frustratingly, it looks like Windows 10 Home still allows this through registry hacks; Pro just ignores them.)

UPDATE: YES THEY HAVE, ajcoll5 figured it out in the post below. Here's the step-by-step solution for Windows 10 Pro users, for future reference:

Start > Local Security Policy

Click Software Restriction Policies

If there are none, go to Action > Add Software Restriction Policies

Then, under Additional Rules, right-click in the blank area and choose New Path Rule

In Path, enter

C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy

(note that the filename isn't in there, just the path)

Set Security level to Disallowed

Click OK. Boom. Done.

Windows 10 Home, can't help you yet.

So far I know now ; for some its a solution , for others its not ( Windows " rules"), anyway its worth trying............:rolleyes:

Archived