Black screen on Boot

Toshiro

Hi Guys,

A month ago I had a problem with Vista (it came out of nowhere). When I booted my PC or when I want to get my PC out of sleep mode, it boots up with a black screen. The fans work good.. I'm not sure if it's the mobo, cause I have a ASUS ati 4850 GPU.

I thought it was because of Vista.. Well, I installed Windows 7 this week, and the problem is still here. Did MEMORY test and there wasn't any errors.

My power supply should be enough.. (520W from Cooler Master) + I did the test @ this site..

Googlet alot, couldn't find anythink helpfull..

If I reboot the PC when I have the blackscreen, sometimes it boots normally..

Do you guys have any idea?

PS, my rig:

+ the 520W Cooler Master PSU

2ujqb8i.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Does it happen each and every time you boot your PC or when you want to get your PC out of sleep mode?

• Administrator

It is a bit out of my knowledge, the problem. You should probably ask LeetPirate about it.

• Administrator

Actually it must be a device error. Does Vista/7 have safe mode?

Jup it does has that.. But what's the point if I get a black screen? Even before I see the BIOS..

Btw, Bios update = failure, allready did it :')

-------

Wait, Could this be a CMOS Battery problem? Coult it be empty?

Yes I feel the same as you here, it is probably a device error.

@Haantjuh: Based on what you described here my first guess would be that the monitor is failing. Specifically if it is an LCD screen the backlight is failing. This could be an on going process till we figure out the actual cause so bear with me on this one.

When the screen goes blank, does the computer function as normal otherwise, I mean like the lights on it, etc. If you press caps lock on the keyboard does the light come on and off as usual? I want you to shine a flashlight at the screen at every possible angle and tell me if you see any pictures in there, this is only if you have an LCD. You might have to turn off the lights in the room to avoid glare.

If you have a CRT I don't recommend trying to even open that or fix it because there is something called a flyback transformer inside a CRT that ramps up to 25 to 30k volts which is stored inside the tube. Even when a CRT is off and unplugged the tube stores charge for a few days inside it so you could die if you touch the wrong part.

Then again based on your specs on your rig you clearly are not the type of person who would fire up those parts on a CRT :D.

If you have access to another monitor or maybe could borrow one from a friend then please do so, in case the flashlight experiment yields nothing. Update me on your results, if this fails we will have to move on to checking some other component.

Wait, before you see your BIOS stuff you get this error?

That leaves us with two options: Your video card (or video card driver) or your motherboard. Do you see anything at all when before you're presented with this black screen?

Nope the Monitor stays @ standby mode Shought.. The powerled of the Monitor keeps blinking.. As if it doesn't get a signal to show something..

@ leet, ty gonna try it in a couple of hours.. Cause if I shut it down now, it'l boot up just fine.. :s

Lemme test the caps + other buttons + mouse.

And shought, my GPU has 2 led's for errors, Neither of them turn on when I boot..

• Administrator

I had a same problem, I remember just now. It was the internal GPU failure, installed an ATI and worked fine. But I still cannot understand the problem here.

I see, as LeetPirate suggested it could also be your monitor.

Nope the Monitor stays @ standby mode Shought.. The powerled of the Monitor keeps blinking.. As if it doesn't get a signal to show something..

@ leet, ty gonna try it in a couple of hours.. Cause if I shut it down now, it'l boot up just fine.. :s

Lemme test the caps + other buttons + mouse.

And shought, my GPU has 2 led's for errors, Neither of them turn on when I boot..

I see, as LeetPirate suggested it could also be your monitor.
Now that he mentioned that the monitor stays in standby mode I am leaning towards another component being the problem like the video card or power supply. Previously I assumed the screen was going black while remaining in the ON mode.

Still try the stuff I said so we could eliminate the monitor as a suspect. Then open up the chassis while the main power cord is unplugged and detach and reconnect all the power connections to the motherboard, cpu, and the graphics card. Also take out the graphics card from the slot and plug it back in and make sure it locks in place properly, most importantly make sure the power connector to the graphics card is not slack.

The 4850 normally uses around 115W of power on idle so it needs that external power connector to make perfect contact. Yours is ASUS 4850 so it is probably factory overclocked a little and should idle around 130W and peak at around 250W, nevertheless the same thing applies. Cooler master usually make great power supplies but, you never know if your's could be a random bad apple, with electronic components you never know. What is the model of the one you have anyway?

I got this one: http://www.coolermaster.com/products/produ...=22&id=2685

After my last message I turned of my PC. I just booted it. I saw the Bios this time, but after a while the Startup Repair came up and after that I looked @ the logs.. Turned out to be a bad driver issue? Now I can't get Aero to work...

Gonna pull the kabels out and putting them together... Let's see if it could help..

I got this one: http://www.coolermaster.com/products/produ...=22&id=2685

After my last message I turned of my PC. I just booted it. I saw the Bios this time, but after a while the Startup Repair came up and after that I looked @ the logs.. Turned out to be a bad driver issue? Now I can't get Aero to work...

Gonna pull the kabels out and putting them together... Let's see if it could help..

Yes that's a good power supply there. After you check the cables and stuff, you might want to get the latest Catalyst ATI drivers for your video card. I recommend you use a tool like Driver Cleaner dot net to remove the old drivers before installing new ones.

Best of luck.

I had a similar problem to this, it was my NVIDIA driver causing some issues, pretty odd it works sometimes but at other times it doesn't (my percentages were the other way around though, 95% boot, 5% no boot).

• Administrator

When there was an problem in my display drivers, whenever I started a software which needed Direct3D my PC would crash crash.

Updated drivers and checked the cables.. Aero is working fine now. I can't be sure if it's fix, i'll have to wait till tomorow.. (dunno why but if I want to boot my pc after the night, I get the black screen.)

+ this pc is just a 6 months old.. So i'm gonna call the shop tomorow :)

@ Dkt27, I can do everyting if my pc bootes. The only problem is the booting itself..

• Administrator

Is the thing written in first para a superstition?

2nd para: PC in warranty :think: . Just tell us what was the problem after you get it right by an shop.

3rd para: I know your problem, was just sharing you my experiences.;)

Is the thing written in first para a superstition?

2nd para: PC in warranty :think: . Just tell us what was the problem after you get it right by an shop.

3rd para: I know your problem, was just sharing you my experiences.;)

hehe np :)

Hey I found a thread that has some similar problems, you could take a look here.

Basically their solutions involved plugging in the power cable to the graphics card, but I am assuming you did that already as well as the other 2 power cables to the motherboard. One person had a solution I would never guess but they said it fixed when they disabled legacy usb support in the bios. :think:

If it comes down to it, you may even have to try updating the card bios. Perhaps if you have another cheap graphics card you could try that out or borrow one from a friend to try, if the other one works then it could be your card. Also get a program to monitor the temperatures in your motherboard and graphics card.

the two best tools for that are GPU-Z and CPU-Z. There is a possibility that the card is overheating at some point and shutting down but since the system works fine while in windows you could check the temps and see if they are abnormally high in windows while performing a grapics stress test.

Or if your MoBo has an integrated graphics card you could use that ;)

Do you get any beeps when booting up.

A certain amount of beeps indicates a error, and no beeps at all indicates your mobo is broken/dieing/whatever.

I don't get any beeps, think there's no speaker attached.

And my temps are all OK for a 4850. Idle at ~50C, the mobo ~30C.

The Temps never have been really high, yea sometimes stressed @ 70C while playing GTA4, but not any more. Plus I keep my PC's dustfree with compressed air. :)

Lemme check for that legacy USB support at the bios. Will update soon :)

Ok USB legacy support was @ "Auto", disabled it now. Hope it will make any change..

But the thing that bothers me is, why did it happen so suddenly?

• Administrator

There is no sound-blaster or any internal speaker on your PC? It is very important if you take it like that. As demonon mentioned it signifies many errors.

Anyway don't forget to update us after the BIOS thing.

Archived