Confirmed: Windows 10 free upgrade will end on July 29

Karlston

14 minutes ago, steven36 said:

i done had to put 2 windows fanboys on ignore here do i need too make it a 3rd?  this  is not arstechnica i can just put you on  iggy . :P

Yeah Windows is so terrible. I have every PC at work updated to 10, It's horrible. I always tell every customer that comes in for a machine "Don't accept this crap, here's a DVD with Windows 7 SP1 on it with crack. Never run anything else Windows 10 will NEVER do anything Windows 7 can't! It doesn't matter how much they "update" it"

I can understand why people hate it, I swear MS just types in random code to bloat the OS and changes the colors to make it look like they're actually coding.

GJ Steven.

14 minutes ago, steven36 said:

i done had to put 2 windows fanboys on ignore here do i need too make it a 3rd?  this  is not arstechnica i can just put you on  iggy  you need to go try to sell that too someone that dont have years of computer  experience  like I do ..i will just block it off when i get tired of hearing it . :P

Likely I was running my first computer while you were still in diapers son. If there's someone that doesn't know much about operating systems here and has ignorant unsubstantiated opinions it's you.

I'm going to laugh my ass off when I see you're running a Windows OS in future that's not 7. We'll set a date shall we? I'd really like a good laugh in about say.. ten years time?

• Replies 39
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Ryrynz said:

Yeah Windows is so terrible. I have every PC at work updated to 10, It's horrible. I always tell every customer that comes in for a machine "Don't accept this crap, here's a DVD with Windows 7 SP1 on it with crack. Never run anything else Windows 10 will NEVER do anything Windows 7 can't! It doesn't matter how much they "update" it"

I can understand why people hate it, I swear MS just types in random code to bloat the OS and changes the colors to make it look like they're actually coding.

GJ Steven.

Go away dude, i never said windows was terrible and i could care less what Microsoft does  but you need  to tell it to someone who plains to update too windows 10 anytime soon i dont .

Engrave this Quote Why prove to a man he is wrong? Is that going to make him like you? Why not let him save face? He didn't ask for your opinion. He didn't want it. Why argue with him? You can't win an argument, because if you lose, you lose it; and if you win it, you lose it. Why? You will feel fine. But what about him? You have made him feel inferior, you hurt his pride, insult his intelligence, his judgment, and his self-respect, and he'll resent your triumph. That will make him strike back, but it will never make him want to change his mind. A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
-Dale Carnegie

http://www.quoteland.com/rate/Dale-Carnegie-Quotes/2848/

19 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Go away dude, i never said windows was terrible and i could care less what Microsoft does  but you need  to tell it to someone who plains to update too windows 10 anytime soon i dont .

http://www.quoteland.com/rate/Dale-Carnegie-Quotes/2848/

You said basically the same thing. That someone saying that people should seriously evaluate - a stable OS with much of it's code derived from 8.1 (which is fairly universally acclaimed to be a better OS than 7)
that will receive SIGNIFICANT ongoing updates for many years to come (something no other OS MS has released has done before) and that one would say obviously would mean a better OS in terms of functionality and performance 
than ANY Windows version before it at SOME POINT, should be ignored because they're a fan boy? Dude.

The only person being a fan boy here is you. A fan boy of everything that isn't Windows. I think you should re-evaluate the level of your ignorance.

Over 300 MILLION active connections Steven, can you even imagine that number?

27 minutes ago, Ryrynz said:
5 minutes ago, Ryrynz said:

I doubt you been fooling with computers  since i was in diapers  you're obnoxious im  not no spring chicken if you were they would look this

F1MoiRi.jpg

3 minutes ago, steven36 said:

F1MoiRi.jpg

Good times. :)
Dat Burroughs 205. Anything not running vacuum tubes isn't a real computer..

35 minutes ago, Ryrynz said:

Good times. :)
Dat Burroughs 205. Anything not running vacuum tubes isn't a real computer..

Im older than Microsoft is  If you're that old you may not even make it tell 2020 when windows 7 runs out of updates .

I ask my mom did she want windows 10, and her answer was no. that she may not even be living when windows 7 runs out of updates and she was young when she had me !

There's more to life than just Windows . And i dont use windows 7 so i want be on it when it runs out of updates Ill be on Windows 8.1 still getting updates  or ether bought a new PC maybe Ill be on MAC OSX  or Linux  that's 4 years away so i dont care.

And you're  one those people who leaves  a trail on the internet,  i looked you up so you're just trolling im older than you.. try joining sites without leaving you're birthday . :P

20 hours ago, BimBamSmash said:

On another note, what about those systems that have already downloaded the complete installer, all the drivers and what not? Will they remove these as well? What a waste of bandwidth, if so.

Microsoft says that all the Windows 10 "stuff" will be removed from systems.

Yep, a waste of bandwidth, but you pay for your bandwidth so Microsoft doesn't give a rat's fuzzy rump. Look how generous they are with Windows 10 users' bandwidth by defaulting Windows 10 updates into sharing the updates with other users.

13 hours ago, steven36 said:

only thing was needed was to just not install get windows 10 updates .. Its for people who were too lazy or didn't know what they were doing to administer updates 

Not knowing (or caring) how to administer updates fits the vast majority of users. Not everyone is as cluey as we are. :)

GWX Control Panel was a relatively simple way for Joe Average-user to block the Windows 10 upgrade BS.

2 hours ago, Ryrynz said:

Windows 10 is the final Windows OS at least for the foreseeable future. Which is why I feel it's stupid to not seriously consider upgrading.

Unless an earlier Windows lets the user do everything they need and want.  Upgrading for no other reason than it's newer is (IMO) the dumbest reason to do so.

2 hours ago, Ryrynz said:

Over 300 MILLION active connections Steven, can you even imagine that number?

Difficult for anyone to imagine, and Microsoft quotes big numbers like that hoping people will be overawed by it.

How about 900 million? That's an even bigger number, and is roughly how many Windows 7 and 8.1 users resisted Microsoft's unethical Windows 10 upgrade methodology. Microsoft never seems to mention that number though. I wonder why? :)

LeeSmithG

Good.

My Suzie rebooted her Windows Laptop three (3) days ago (she has Windows Eight point one (8.1)) and it started (her Laptop) to install Windows ten (10).

She screamed at me, ''how do I stop this s*it from installing'', I said, ''your doomed!, nah I said turn off Laptop'' and she did and on boot it restored her previous operating system.

When will Microsoft get it into their thick heads, that most of us want a system like XP or Windows seven (7).

So go build Windows eleven (11) and make it with the feel of Windows ninety five (95), XP and Seven (7)

On 5/7/2016 at 1:29 PM, steven36 said:

I ask my mom did she want windows 10, and her answer was no. that she may not even be living when windows 7 runs out of updates and she was young when she had me !

Asking ignorant people their opinion on things they know next to nothing about will only yield ignorant answers.

On 5/7/2016 at 3:30 PM, Karlston said:

Unless an earlier Windows lets the user do everything they need and want.  Upgrading for no other reason than it's newer is (IMO) the dumbest reason to do so. :)

LOL. Yeah because you update your OS usually to get something other than what's the "latest and greatest" So by your reasoning..

Having the latest OS regardless of support for newer hardware and unlocking performance is pointless.
Having the latest OS providing arguably better protection against exploits is pointless.
Having the latest OS providing the latest 3D effects is pointless.
Having the latest OS providing the benefits of improved UI for touch and search, multiple desktops etc is pointless.

I mean I could go on but, but now surely you're seeing how "dumb" your statement was.

On 5/7/2016 at 3:30 PM, Karlston said:

How about 900 million? That's an even bigger number, and is roughly how many Windows 7 and 8.1 users resisted Microsoft's unethical Windows 10 upgrade methodology. Microsoft never seems to mention that number though. I wonder why? :)

Unethical huh. I think you're applying that to something that's quite clearly advertised and relatively easy to prevent.
But then they see their OS as a worthwhile upgrade and anyone with their head not up their own ass generally agrees.

9 hours ago, Ryrynz said:

I mean I could go on but, but now surely you're seeing how "dumb" your statement was.

IMO, there are only two reasons to upgrade...

1. If the current version has bug(s) or feature(s) that you can't live with, and they're fixed in the new version.

and/or

2. If the new version has new feature(s) that you can't live without.

After ~40 years of tinkering and working professionally with everything from micros to mainframes, I learnt these rules the hard way from being burned way too many times by mindlessly upgrading to the latest version without good reason.

If some of the reasons you listed fit into (2), then you followed "the rules". :P

Unethical huh. I think you're applying that to something that's quite clearly advertised and relatively easy to prevent.

Like the "Upgrade Now" or "Upgrade Tonight" choice?

Like the resetting of the OSUpgrade registry entry from No to Yes?

Like covertly hiding GWX changes in other updates without documenting it?

Like uninstalling afterwards software incompatible with the upgrade?

Like downloading the upgrade (and wasting the users' bandwidth) without permission?

etc...

Unethical? Yep... :)

But then they see their OS as a worthwhile upgrade and anyone with their head not up their own ass generally agrees.

So you're suggesting that the majority of Windows 7 and 8.1 users as at July 29 2015 have their heads up their arse then? :)

Beamslider

I upgraded Windows 10 on two desktops just to get the digital entitlement activation......then went back to Windows 7 on those desktops.  

I upgraded the laptop to Windows 10 for the same reason.  But kept it because it actually works better on the laptop than Windows 7 did.

Similar things for me.  My 8-9 yr old laptop actually runs better on Win10 than it did with XP, Vista and Win7.. so I kept it.   Desktops , just for the free activation should I ever feel compelled to make the switch.  ( with Win shutup )

I am running win10 ENT LTSB on my quad boot Desktop .. works pretty well and from what I have observed isn't riddled with tons of telemetry stuff.. You can actually turn things off and have them stay off... who would have thought it was possible :-)

GWX control panel work well on numerous family PC's where it is needed.

But yah I hate the fake urgency that MS tries to create ... update now or you'll be sorry.... don't get left behind...

Win7 works just fine for most things , if it ain't broke don't fix it...  It will be supported for a long time ....

By all means if there's a need for newer and better, for security, for productivity etc,  but in the software world, newer rarely equals better ... it is usually just "windows" dressing..

What does piss me off is the Skylake crap.. no WIN7 support for Skylake HTPC that is already running WIn7 ?    I had a few choice words for MS when I bumped into an MS developer at a conference.   It has also been the source of much heated "debate" between my former coworker (who is now senior WIN10 developer ) and myself while I'm pummeling him at poker... and we are watching Zoolander 2 on my Win7 Skylake HTPC.. I called him a few expletives... :-)   Something about head up ... syndrome..  My only option will be LTSB on that too . assuming I get it activated :-)

On 5/8/2016 at 9:52 AM, Karlston said:

IMO, there are only two reasons to upgrade...

1. If the current version has bug(s) or feature(s) that you can't live with, and they're fixed in the new version.

and/or

2. If the new version has new feature(s) that you can't live without.

After ~40 years of tinkering and working professionally with everything from micros to mainframes, I learnt these rules the hard way from being burned way too many times by mindlessly upgrading to the latest version without good reason.

If some of the reasons you listed fit into (2), then you followed "the rules". :P

You'll get burned almost no matter what you do in life. There's a few more reasons if you're not going to be stand offish about it.
Having newer software can prevent issues, also at some point may be the minimum supported OS for whatever program you want to run, provide new software features you might actually use and also keep you up to date with software in general regarding features/development, which can be worthwhile as this does move at a fairly fast pace.

Like the "Upgrade Now" or "Upgrade Tonight" choice?

Like the resetting of the OSUpgrade registry entry from No to Yes?

Like covertly hiding GWX changes in other updates without documenting it?

Like uninstalling afterwards software incompatible with the upgrade?

Like downloading the upgrade (and wasting the users' bandwidth) without permission?

etc...

Unethical? Yep... :)

Pushy, not unethical. My mother's PC is running Windows 7 and that hasn't done anything as far as Windows 10 is concerned automatically. GWX icon is sitting there behaving itself with no input from me.
But then there are a few updates required there it's not completely "up to date" Really don't understand what all the fuss is about, I do think MS should've had an opt out though, made it easy for those who knew good reasons why they didn't want it. 

I deal with the public every day with this sort of thing, and honestly the amount of people that have no clue about any of this stuff might surprise you. People routinely ignore notifications and wish to avoid doing anything that decision making, leaning or any degree of uncertainty. We live in a society ruled by corporations pushing things at us every day, not sure what people expect.. this is obviously the society we wanted..

They'll push it on you because they feel you don't know any better and honestly probably nine times out of ten that would be the truth.

So you're suggesting that the majority of Windows 7 and 8.1 users as at July 29 2015 have their heads up their arse then? :)

Well if you look at how badly human's are ruining their own environment and how badly they fail at fitting into an ecosystem and oftentimes treat their own race with disdain and lack of respect.. I think it's pretty easy to ascertain that the average human has their head up their ass. Anyway all of this will be moot anyway when everything's run in the cloud, it's only a matter of time.

I find especially online people are belligerent as fuck with ignorant opinions and lack of willingness to act on anything that requires effort and any change in routine, no matter what the potential benefits.

Especially when it comes to software or even spending money on things they feel work well enough as is. Heads in asses or in sand.. you'll see time and again. Not so say there aren't people with valid

reasons for not "upgrading" but still.. People just love to be ignorant and I love to fight them ~shrug~

Would recommend doing the upgrade and rolling back so at least in a year or twos time when 10 is a more significant upgrade with possibly less potential problems so you can do it for free.

I can understand holding off, I don't understand avoiding it, it's incredibly short sighted.

Archived