[Solved] Useful or useless ?

tigerjack

VileTouch
2 hours ago, Chatman said:

For the guy who made the new Top button: Watch and learn from those who know what they do.

z1mM3nd.png?1

sure, that looks good too. and probably does actual scrolling with jquery! ...but for a demo in a forum post, i went with the most simple,least intrusive approach. also, i can see a disadvantage on that button. since it's part of the page flow, you do have to scroll to the bottom to actually click it. what if you want to go back halfway through?

aaand doesn't work... :/  derp

• Replies 41
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VileTouch
4 hours ago, tigerjack said:

Thanks for trying. You will surely find a way to run the new button properly. I'll be looking forward to new developments. For now, many thanks again.

:cheers:

not from a post in the forum unfortunately. if it happens at all, it would have to come from the staff. there are limitations for us users. this was just to show it was possible without installing external stuff and remapping the keyboard, etc.

VileTouch
4 hours ago, Kalju said:

Everything would be nice if this button

1. would not be hidden, it is currently behind the other buttons (for example: Adguard, Ghostery, etc.) sure, it could be anywhere. bottom right just happens to be the standard place to put it.
  2. If to click, the page does not open in a new table (currently it opening a new table) I know. users are not allowed to link to the same page. that's just how the forum works.
  3. ie, please change the location of the button - move it a little bit higher (recommended to edit)

#gotoheaven {
    position: fixed;
    bottom: 50px;
    right: 10px;
}

And also:

1. fix target = "_ blank" to target = "_ self" or target = "_ top"
  2. remove the rel = "external" yup. both are added automatically by the ips script. it's there for a good reason too.

it is now

Reveal hidden contents

Recommended

Reveal hidden contents

Not recommended use: opacity: .5; and opacity: 1.0; background: rgba(0,0,0, .3);  sure, this one is more of a "design decision" to give it a rollover state (so you know it's interactive) where faded means "it's in standby" and opaque means "ready"... old timer UI design trick. but point taken, it could be anything really. that's just the most common people will immediately recognize.
It would be better to use
#c8cace or rgb(200, 200, 200)
and
#000 or #000000 or rgb(0, 0, 0)

VileTouch
4 hours ago, Chatman said:

P.S. This new button is a joke. A bad one.

VileTouch,

My intention was far from offend somebody! The screenshot was just to show that is possible here, as it is possible on other sites.

Anyway, with, or without the Top button, I still use the clasic method, by pressing the mouse wheel and moving the cursor up or down. M6nOipU.png?1

tigerjack
19 hours ago, VileTouch said:

not from a post in the forum unfortunately. if it happens at all, it would have to come from the staff. there are limitations for us users. this was just to show it was possible without installing external stuff and remapping the keyboard, etc.

You're right. The staff decides.But the mere fact that you have attempted deserves praise. :clap:

VileTouch
18 hours ago, Chatman said:

VileTouch,

My intention was far from offend somebody! The screenshot was just to show that is possible here, as it is possible on other sites.

Anyway, with, or without the Top button, I still use the clasic method, by pressing the mouse wheel and moving the cursor up or down. M6nOipU.png?1

none taken

• Administrator

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. We have enabled this feature through a hook. Credit goes to Lee here.

Scroll below to any page, there will be a arrow on the right side that will take you to the top. Try it. Report any problems if you encounter any of them.

Rastus_BoJangles_Johnson

Could something be done to enable the ability to delete notifications? The homekey.jpgdoesnt work for that. :rolleyes:

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Rastus_BoJangles_Johnson said:

Could something be done to enable the ability to delete notifications? The homekey.jpgdoesnt work for that. :rolleyes:

You mean the delete button. Or maybe something else.

As for ability to delete notifications, unfortunately, we cannot enable it from our side. IPB, the forum software we are using, need to bring it from their side I think.

Rastus_BoJangles_Johnson
2 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

You mean the delete button. Or maybe something else.

As for ability to delete notifications, unfortunately, we cannot enable it from our side. IPB, the forum software we are using, need to bring it from their side I think.

No the Home button, it was nice sarcasm, meant in good spirit. A "hook" was made to enable the ability to go to top of page easily, when the HOME button does that already. I meant maybe a "hook" could be made for something that could not be done at all, like deleting notifications. :)

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Rastus_BoJangles_Johnson said:

No the Home button, it was nice sarcasm, meant in good spirit. A "hook" was made to enable the ability to go to top of page easily, when the HOME button does that already. I meant maybe a "hook" could be made for something that could not be done at all, like deleting notifications. :)

I see. Good one. :P

We are always looking to improve the functionality of the forums. Including installing hooks. However, installing hooks should be avoided as much as possible. So we fix things other way around whenever possible. Depends on the need and requirement of things.

Whatever it is, people at IPB are idiots for sure. Removing important features thinking that members will not use them.

21 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Whatever it is, people at IPB are idiots for sure. Removing important features thinking that members will not use them.

Indeed - this has been requested many times in their client facing areas and they refuse to acknowledge it.

On 02/05/2016 at 0:13 AM, VileTouch said:

z1mM3nd.png?1

umm what's that monitor icon on the taskbar next to the Internet explorer? I'm curious :think:

VileTouch
19 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

umm what's that monitor icon on the taskbar next to the Internet explorer? I'm curious :think:

that's not my screenshot, but..how do you know it's a monitor and not a...sandwich maker?

wFWJfla.jpg

2 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

I did not liked the original File Explorer icon and I changed with one made by me. That's all.

1 hour ago, VileTouch said:

that's not my screenshot, but..how do you know it's a monitor and not a...sandwich maker?

wFWJfla.jpg

ha ha :P 

10 minutes ago, Chatman said:

I did not liked the original File Explorer icon and I changed with one made by me. That's all.

Oh cool

but nobody noticed that? I thought that's a new Windows feature or some such added there :) 

Archived