[Solved] Useful or useless ?

tigerjack

tigerjack

Why don't add to the side of a page (or where you think is most evident) a button (always in view) labeled "top" to go quickly up to the top of the page?
What do you think about?

sorry for my bad english

• Replies 41
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, tigerjack said:

Why don't add to the side of a page (or where you think is most evident) a button (always in view) labeled "top" to go quickly up to the top of the page?
What do you think about?

sorry for my bad english

Always available = The "Home" button on the keyboard.

tigerjack
24 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Always available = The "Home" button on the keyboard.

my keyboard (on laptop) hasn't the home button, so I should use at least two buttons ... too uncomfortable

27 minutes ago, tigerjack said:

my keyboard (on laptop) hasn't the home button, so I should use at least two buttons ... too uncomfortable

Do I understand correctly that you have an Apple keyboard?

tigerjack
30 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Do I understand correctly that you have an Apple keyboard?

No Apple. I have a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop and I have to use the "fn+diagonal arrow" combination as  home button.

Here is a test version, there is also the "Go Top" button - if it works?

http://computerlife.ml/

This is one of the possible.

But if you have Windows, then I'll try to find some other opportunity, to use one button which may be also on the taskbar.

tigerjack

Thanks Kalju  for your tips, but you should know that with my laptop I use the mouse and it is easy to go to top with the wheel but it would be even faster with a "top" button on the page itself. It is true that it is not a great need but it could beautify a site (if it is not hard to create). To fulfill your curiosity you could go on https://softarchive.la/ and try the functionality.

Thanks again

It is easy to put on. And works perfectly. I have proposed already a long time ago add this button, also have sent hook. That's all what I can do.
OK. Good luck.

Another alternative: Scroll To Top Extension (Firefox/Chrome/Opera/Safari)

About this addon:

Spoiler

Everyday scrolling on long pages can be a tiring experience specially on those sites which provides infinite scrolling (like facebook, twitter, Google+, etc). You will keep scrolling using your mouse to see more and more updates and then when you want to go up to the top of the page, you might move your hand from your mouse to keyboard to search for Home key or you will drag the scroll bar to the top.

Scroll To Top tries to minimize this effort by providing an intuitive icon at the bottom-right corner of each page so that with one click you will be at the top of the page with beautiful animation. No more searching for Home key on your keyboard and no more dragging of the scroll bar. It will be just fun and ergonomic to use it.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/scroll-to-top/

But if you get your keyboard shortcut re-assigned as teodz1984 suggested, it's better!

Another alternative: Scroll To Top Extension (Firefox/Chrome/Opera/Safari)

The [url= Toolbar Buttons add-on for Firefox has Scroll To Top and Scroll To Bottoms buttons you can add, as well as numerous other buttons.

tigerjack

teodz1984
jordan4x
PocketAppZ

.....reassign an unused key
.....Scroll To Top Extension (Firefox/Chrome/Opera/Safari)

They are all great tips (and if you use IE?). It is true that you can reassign unused keys but at the end, you should always use the keyboard when it would be enough a simple mouse touch. Perhaps I am expecting too much, but it was an idea that I thought could be realized with little effort as stated Kalju.

thank you all

I can suggest you the best solution you can think of. It is a program called AutoHotkey. With this tiny program you can assign, let's say (Control + Wheel Up) to take you to the top of the page you are watching. You can do a lot more with this program.

Regards

tigerjack
35 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I can suggest you the best solution you can think of. It is a program called AutoHotkey. With this tiny program you can assign, let's say (Control + Wheel Up) to take you to the top of the page you are watching. You can do a lot more with this program.

Regards

You are right.This is one other option.Do You remember the 3 Musketeers? In this case it would be better .... one for all (the site for the users) and not all for one.
Seriously, I think I'll never see the "top" button here. But we'll get all the same without it.

THX

VileTouch

look at the bottom right of the page...

<p>
    <style type="text/css">
#gotoheaven {
    position: fixed;
    bottom: 10px;
    right: 15px;
    display: block;
    width: 50px;
    height: 50px;
    border-radius: 50%;
    background: rgba(0,0,0,.3);
    font-size: 30px;
    color: white;
    text-decoration: none;
    opacity: .5;
    transition: opacity 1s;
    line-height: 38px;
    text-align: center;
   }
#gotoheaven:hover {
    opacity: 1.0;
}    </style>
</p>

VileTouch
Just now, mona said:

THANK YOU STAFF FOR THE NEW BUTTON !

n0uRKnW.jpg

actually they haven't ...yet. that was just a little demo i concocted. unfortunately it doesn't work very well, as the forum software auto changes the target to a new window, even though i specifically set it to self (so it scrolls up). but, eh... that's more or less the idea :)

3 minutes ago, VileTouch said:

actually they haven't ...yet. that was just a little demo i concocted. unfortunately it doesn't work very well, as the forum software auto changes the target to a new window, even though i specifically set it to self (so it scrolls up). but, eh... that's more or less the idea :)

@VileTouch , thanks for clarification.

Indeed, looked too good to be true....

STAFF, you've been thanked already. You have no other choice now, but insert this useful button on nSane pages for us.   Please go ahead.

NZztv5Q.jpg

• Administrator

We are looking to add it even if you guys would have not thanked us too. :P

tigerjack

Thanks for trying. You will surely find a way to run the new button properly. I'll be looking forward to new developments. For now, many thanks again.

:cheers:

Everything would be nice if this button

1. would not be hidden, it is currently behind the other buttons (for example: Adguard, Ghostery, etc.)
  2. If to click, the page does not open in a new table (currently it opening a new table)
  3. ie, please change the location of the button - move it a little bit higher (recommended to edit)
 #gotoheaven {
    bottom: 50px;
    right: 10px;
}

And also:

1. fix target = "_ blank" to target = "_ self" or target = "_ top"
  2. remove the rel = "external"

it is now

Spoiler

<p>
	<a href="#elLogo" id="gotoheaven" rel="external" target="_blank"><i aria-hidden="true" class="fa fa-chevron-up"></i></a>
	<style type="text/css">
#gotoheaven {
	bottom: 10px;
	right: 15px;
   }
}	</style>
</p>

Recommended

Spoiler

<p>
	<a href="#elLogo" id="gotoheaven" target="_top"><i aria-hidden="true" class="fa fa-chevron-up"></i></a>
	<style type="text/css">
#gotoheaven {
	bottom: 50px;
	right: 10px;
   }
}	</style>
</p>

Not recommended use: opacity: .5; and opacity: 1.0; background: rgba(0,0,0, .3);
It would be better to use
#c8cace or rgb(200, 200, 200)
and
#000 or #000000 or rgb(0, 0, 0)

I don't understand what's so hard to bring back the old button? So many comments and utility arguments for a button which should been inserted from the beginning in the new forum interface.

P.S. This new button is a joke. A bad one.

And another interesting phenomenon, do not know why, but this button is not allowed on all pages.

For the guy who made the new Top button: Watch and learn from those who know what they do.

z1mM3nd.png?1

Archived