Do you use codec pack?

rach

Do you use codec pack?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use codec pack?

• Yes
    • No

Most of players these days have already supported a lot of formats by its own internal codecs.

I don't use codec pack personally, only standalone player. Even if I needed external filters, I would install them separately. :)

• Like 2

november_ra1n

I use Windows 10 Windows Media Player only and that is more than enough for me not to use another player. It is an old habit yes i use Kazaa Lite K regardless if I really need them or not.

No, on demand only. 99% of the codecs are unused all the time anyway, i don't see any advantage in having what i don't need..

It's like installing 10000 drivers in case there may be one or the other that applies for your hardware, nobody is going to do that.

I use to install codec packs about 5 years a go but now most players for windows they already have codecs to play most formats so i no longer have a need to install them.  In other O/S  if i need a  codec i only install the codec i need.  like x265 i can just install the codec, even though Ubuntu flavors dont come with codecs all you have to do is check a box and they install  most needed codecs.  Debian is the same way.:)

Edited by steven36

Only Standalone players here. especially MPC-HC (light on resources, sharp image)

Sometimes i use specific external codecs for authoring.

14 hours ago, november_ra1n said:

I use Windows 10 Windows Media Player only and that is more than enough for me not to use another player. It is an old habit yes i use Kazaa Lite K regardless if I really need them or not.

You must have one of the very particular video cards that lights up Windows' x264 support. Otherwise, Win10 doesn't support it. It supported it for everyone pre-RTM, but only then, unfortunately.

For many years, i used k-lite codec pack with mpc-hc. In this time, i often used virtualdub and with the k-lite codec pack, i had all i needed. But when i stopped using virtualdub, there was no need for installing a codec pack anymore and the many updates were bothering me anyway, so i stopped using it. The video-thumbnails were the only feature of installed codecs, i missed now, but then i've found Icaros and this problem was solved. MPC-HC (portable) + Icaros - that's my combi.

Edited by Pjotr 1st

• 2 weeks later...

Latest K-Lite helped me to enable watching a particularly "nasty" video format, using WMP. Strangely, had a problem with VLC. WMP issue was sulved after I installed K-lite

• 2 weeks later...

I use WindowsMediaCenter from windows 8.1 on windows10 with MatroskaSplitter+LAVFilters-0.68+xy-VSFilter.

Edited by macnavarra

• 1 year later...

Pretty tedious to install additional codecs. today they are already integrated in the players. or use of k.lite codec and vlc

I used them few years ago (especially k-lite ones). Nowadays I feel they're unnecessary. Just get MPC, or VLC and most formats can be played w/o external codecs.

Since my old XP suffered stability problems from additional codecs, or lack thereof, I don't trust these things very much. Fortunately, media players like VLC don't need any external codecs.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...