Best Adblock Software

Rock Lee

I know there's a 'blocking adverts' thread but it's almost 2 years old. Time for a new one :yes:

I don't ask for much, but I'm at a crossroads here. I've tried a lot of different adblocking softwares but haven't found the right one just yet. AdMuncher got the job done but after a while it got incredibly slow & buggy - so I parted ways with it. AdBlock Pro was decent, I didn't like it too much. SuperAdBlock (by the makers of SuperAntiSpyware) came packaged with soo much garbage I had to get rid of it.

If the program needs a fix I can find it :sneaky:

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

► Rock Lee

(PS - I will be whitelisting nsanedown & the forums as requested :D)

• Replies 47
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Adblock Plus and I'm happy with it, I have the EasyList USA, whitelist rules for nsane+site and many filter for a forum I visit often.

• Administrator

I would advise anyone that visits sites regularly to white list all those sites. Adverts pay the bills....

Yeah I know but this forum is Swedens biggest forum and I don't think they're I such a need for money.

Still the forum looks like crap with all the ads and with so much flash...

Members: 319 840, Posts: 16 689 144

Active members at the moment: 15 908

There's even a topic with 2000 posts on how to fix a script to fix up some functions of the forum like not get a redirect page for outgoing links and to show images in the forum (not only links) and alot of smaller stuff, also I have another Greasemonkey script for that site to make the next post in a thread load while I scroll so I never have to change side, this can also be done with the Firefox addon AutoPager :D

EDIT: Link to the forum https://www.flashback.info/

• Administrator

Those the types of sites that need the adblocks! Those with pop-ups and redirect pages should be removed from the internet. We will never have that level of advertisement here.

Those the types of sites that need the adblocks! Those with pop-ups and redirect pages should be removed from the internet. We will never have that level of advertisement here.

That's the type of sites I'm trying adblock! I visit those types of sites very frequently, that's why I need an adblocker. ; Glad to hear that :D

@ Anteus

AdBlock Plus is for FF - No no

& Chrome. IE 55% of the time, remember? :D

I addressed them in the first post, except IE7 Pro. It comes packaged with a lot of things that IE8 already has tho. I'm just looking for a lightweight but powerful adblocker. Muncher was that until the bugs came - & there were plenty of them.

Muncher was that until the bugs came - & there were plenty of them.

Which version of Ad Muncher did you use? I have the latest v4.72 Build 30400 and it works great for me.

Which version of Ad Muncher did you use? I have the latest v4.72 Build 30400 and it works great for me.

I had the same build. It worked fine when I first used it but then it messed up constantly. So I uninstalled, removed every reg key of it & then reinstalled. Same thing happened. I reported every fault to the developers but I doubt they even paid attention. So I ditched it, got tired of it locking up every 5 minutes...

karachidude

There's AdShield

Features in AdShield 3.0

--------------------------------------------------------

* Automatically blocks pop-ups and delayed pop-ups.

* Improves browser performance because blocked banner ad images are never downloaded.

* Lets you easily add banner ads and pop-ups to the block list using a point-and-click or drag-and-drop interface.

* Blocks entire categories of advertisements or undesirable content by adding any portion of a URL to the block list. For example, /banners/ will block anything with the string "/banners/" in it.

* Integrates seamlessly with Internet Explorer.

* Dynamically removes and restores images and frames as they are identified without refreshing the browser.

* Improves performance using optional background downloading and caching of pages/images linked to the ones you're viewing.

* Provides fully automated install and uninstall. AdShield is not a personal proxy server, so there's nothing to configure.

* Exclude list prevents AdShield from blocking web sites or URLs such as your bank?s website. (e.g., www.my_important_site.com).

* Identifies web bugs in your browser window. Exposes hidden bugs, which you can then drag to your block list to protect your privacy. Hover text on the web bug indicates the source web site, so you can easily identify it.

|

* Add Button lets you manually add URLs to either the block list or the exclude list. This feature defaults to the current page you are viewing to help speed the process.

* Export function lets you easily export your existing block list to share it with other users or to make a backup copy.

* Cut, Copy and Paste functions help you maintain your AdShield lists.

* Option to disable the SetTimeOut and SetInterval scripting features, which are responsible for delayed pop-up ads and annoying animated ads.

* Improved unblocking feature lets you easily identify strings that have been blocked.

* Improved support for multi-user PC environments such as XP. AdShield now supports user specific block/exclude lists based on user profiles.

karachidude

Popup Ad Stopper

opup Ad Stopper 09.04.01

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

x D E S C R I P T I O N x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Browse the web without those annoying popup ads with Popup Ad Stopper!

Popup Ad Stopper is a simple, easy to use popup blocker. The features have been scaled down for the sake of simplicity.

Popup Ad Stopper works with any web browser, not just one or a select few, like most popup blockers. This is possible because of the method used.

Popup Ad Stopper is a software that allows you to navigate secure internet connection.

Popup Ad Stopper actually filters web page content as it is coming in from the Internet, before it reaches any web browser you may be using.

Here are some key features of "Popup Ad Stopper":

· Run Popup Ad Stopper minimized quietly in the system tray, forget about it, and surf the web popup-free.

· Popup Ad Stopper blocks popup ads from ALL web browsers, not just one or a select few.

· Popup Ad Stopper is very simple and easy to use.

· Popup Ad Stopper will stop those annoying popup advertisements on the web, allowing you to surf the web on your own terms.

· Popup Ad Stopper will block [pop up] and [pop under] web advertisements. Pop under advertisements are a relatively new concept that pop under the web page that spawns them. When you are done browsing and close the browsing window, you are all of a sudden bombarded with all the pop under windows that have occurred while you were surfing the web. Popup Ad Stopper will stop these.

There's AdShield

Thanks for a fresh answer :) ; It looks ancient but I did find a fix for it - SSG. I'll try it out.

Thanks for the link, AdShield isn't working for whatever reason. Anyway, I'd been looking for a list like this. Thanks again :)

karachidude

My pleasure dear Sir.

What version of Internet Explorer do you use? if you use v7 then IE7Pro might be good for you (doesn't work properly with IE8) or you could try upgrading to Ad Muncher 4.73 beta (its a lot more stable then v4.72 (even the developers have said this). In Ad Muncher click Options > Updates > check the box that says Load Developement builds of Ad Muncher then check for updates, you will really notice the difference.

Super Ad Blocker (even though you dont like it) is my personal fav, but it doesn't work properly with IE8 (they are working on a new version). The best Ad Blocker of all though for IE was the Ad Blocker found in Norton 360 1.0 and Norton Internet Security 2007 and earlier. Shame they don't include an Ad Blocker though.

References:

www.ie7pro.com

www.admuncher.com

www.superadblocker.com

What version of Internet Explorer do you use? if you use v7 then IE7Pro might be good for you (doesn't work properly with IE8) or you could try upgrading to Ad Muncher 4.73 beta (its a lot more stable then v4.72 (even the developers have said this). In Ad Muncher click Options > Updates > check the box that says Load Developement builds of Ad Muncher then check for updates, you will really notice the difference.

Super Ad Blocker (even though you dont like it) is my personal fav, but it doesn't work properly with IE8 (they are working on a new version). The best Ad Blocker of all though for IE was the Ad Blocker found in Norton 360 1.0 and Norton Internet Security 2007 and earlier. Shame they don't include an Ad Blocker though.

References:

www.ie7pro.com

www.admuncher.com

www.superadblocker.com

Really good post afgzee. Thank you for the info, I'll try 4.73. The only reason I got rid of admuncher is because of the bugs. If the new version is more stable then I'll definitely take a shot at it.

Firefox -> No

Then SeaMonkey (+ AdBlock Plus + NoScript + IE Tab) xDDDD

karachidude

@ rock lee

so tell which one did u choose.i m myself thinking of installing one.

which is the best

The best (so far) is Ad Muncher. I've put it through lots of stress tests and it hasn't locked up just yet. Keep in mind this is the beta version of Ad Muncher, not the stable one. I'll provide a download for the beta version. ; There is no known fix for it just yet. I have tried a few serials that were rumored to work, but they didn't. The best thing to do would be to ask Box for a trial reset :lol:

Ad Muncher v4.73 Build 30615

Thanks for the suggestion Mystique. I have tried this before, you need to add it as an addon to IE8. It didn't work for me at all, I tried to debug it but nothing worked. Some others could have gotten to work though so it to others I say try it out. I'm sticking with Munch for right now...

This is the right thing. Set and forget :-

mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Cheers all

Jofre

Archived