Nod32 2.7 On Older PC is better?

lulwut

Hey guys I have 2 PCs. One is a more modern PC in which I think I will update to ESET NOD32 4.0 on. However on my older system I am using NOD32 3.0.

I'm thinking when I reformat the old PC to install 2.7 instead. It's a lot less resource intensive then 3.0 and 4.0 versions, isn't it? I had used 2.7 before but not in so long but as I remember it does use less resources.

Is anyone else doing the same or has done this before? Any suggestion welcome.

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I haven't tried tried 2.XX of ESET NOD32, have tried 3.XX and currently going on with 4.XX.

I will say don't try the old version, new version contains many fixes that the old version don't have. And maybe better way of detecting the virus.

I believe that 2.7 is lesser in resources compared the with 3.x and 4.x versions..Im still using it till now without any issues or virus infiltration detected and my PC isn't old though running Intel core 2 duo 3 gb ram 512 video graphics card OS: vista home premium..

• Administrator

I can surly say one thing, you may be more safer with the new version, no matter how much less resources it takes.

Bizarre™

ESET v2 releases are suitable for older PC's, but just like DKT27 said, "you may be more safer with the new version, no matter how much less resources it takes."

• Administrator

You can even ask member sought, he is expert in providing ESET NOD32.

Thanks for the replies guys. Well there isn't much any risk involved in using 2.7 is there? It's the final v2 release so of course bugs will exist but I think it is stable and secure. It uses the exact same definitions, of course, as 3 or 4 versions. It just lacks new features introduced in newer versions, of which I don't mind having for the old PC.

Thanks again guys, any other suggestion welcome and I will ask sought as you mentioned, thanks DKT27.

Edit: I think you had meant shought DKT, is that the right guy? I will PM him and hope so - thanks again!

Hehe, why do you guys think I'm some kind of ESET-guru?

And stop spelling my name wrong, I know you do it on purpose! :P ;) Kidding :(

Anyway there's not much to tell about this besides what has already been mentioned, v4 might/will be safer but use more resources. For normal internet usage(like not visiting risky crack sites(not nsane, we're zero-risk)) you should be fine with 2.7 :)

• Administrator

What is your PC specs?

For nomal use, no AV at all :P

On my father's computer, which is very old I removed NOD32 and got Malwarebytes Antimalware protection and so far he doens't got any virus.

EDIT: It's on a AMD Athlon 1Ghz and ~720MB SDRAM 133Mhz and I havn't reinstalled XP on it since I removed Windows ME from it :D

Wow thanks for replies guys. The older PC is 1.4GHz PIII, 256MB RAM and Windows XP installed. Well I think I will go ahead and install 2.7 then real soon, thanks again!

• Administrator

Would still say, go for 3.xx rather than 2.xx.

Would still say, go for 3.xx rather than 2.xx.

Yes I noticed a big difference from 3 to 4 in resource requirements.

• Administrator

Yes the 4v interface has increased drastically. That's why more resource requirements.

Bizarre™

v4 surely takes more resources than v2 or v3, but I don't feel any performance decrease in my computer :P

• Administrator

What's your specs.

Well, I would not recommend v2.7 at all, because it is unsecure. I know it uses less resources, but here is the case. Yesterday, my cousin got message from NOD32 v2.7 that he has a virus. I can't remember which was, now. He had option to delete it. He pressed Delete but another message appeared. Same virus, but other file name. To make the story short, it was some virus which made duplicate of itself as soon as it's previous copy was deleted, and v2.7 could not do anything with it (it was powerless). So, I removed v2.7, installed v4 and problem was solved. v4 detected it, and removed it without allowing it to duplicate itself. BTW, he has never computer, but some service guy put him this version. I highly recommend v4, but you are free to do what ever you want.

Cheers :dance2:

• Administrator

That's why I recommended him new one.

By the way there are some virus that can copy themself into windows restore ex:- conficker.

Bizarre™

A combination of good AV + Firewall w/ HIPS should suffice, but never forget common sense as well :lol:

i use 2.7 i tried from v3 to v4 but v2 is much more suitable for this Old PC of mine, and besides you dont get infected that easily if you use this old app is still uses the same virus definition made by ESET...just always remember what Bizarre™ said on his post above

A combination of good AV + Firewall w/ HIPS should suffice, but never forget common sense as well
and the very highlight of it >>>
Common Sense
:lol:

i use 2.7 i tried from v3 to v4 but v2 is much more suitable for this Old PC of mine, and besides you dont get infected that easily if you use this old app is still uses the same virus definition made by ESET...just always remember what Bizarre™ said on his post above
A combination of good AV + Firewall w/ HIPS should suffice, but never forget common sense as well
and the very highlight of it >>>
Common Sense
:D

It does not matter if you have same definitions. The way of removing viruses is improved. If you read what I wrote in previous post, you should understand. v2.7 detected a virus but it could not remove it, but v4 did the job.

Cheers :P

Hm interesting input, thanks a lot guys. I'm still in mid-swing since that I haven't formatted my older PC even still.

Interesting story, mara. I guess you are right. That makes sense, that the newer cores of ESET have improved technologies and the old core was unsuccessful in the removal of that virus. I don't think I will be going to very high-risk sites, or downloading much on that old dog anyways.

I think my decision is still in 2.7 but as times advance, I may need to update NOD (and my RAM for that matter). I'm just keeping my old PC around (for now) for what it's worth.

• Administrator

Again that's what I was saying. Remember never never use old AVs, newer have better ways of fighting threats.

Newer doesn't always mean better, and it for sure doesn't when your looking at detection/performance, I agree with you though, if it comes down to an AV it's best to have the latest version. Anyhow common sense is your best protection from any virus, if you think something looks fishy, just report it. If you work with cracks and stuff like that a lot, then eventually you'll develop a sixth sense for such thing :D

• Administrator

I would say use MAM(short form) with your current AV. I use it that way. If my AV(NOD32 SS) doesn't detect it MAM always does.

Archived