[HomeGroup] Change - Problems

LeeSmithG

Hello.

Now I enjoyed using homegroup linking up for terminals so everyone in the household could print, access files and downloads and feel happy.

However, it's not working and I have done everything I know to get it fired up again.

I have done network fixes, fix-it fixes and made sure every service needed for it to run is automatic.

I can create a homegroup, however no-one else can join.

All clocks are aligned, before that is mentioned.

So what is the other way I can set up myself as the main user and the others can join me.

So they can print, access software folder on u.s.b. drive, access all u.s.b. drives, partitions and everything I allow to be shared?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

firewall may not be allowing anyone through,,,,also is every computer on the same operating system

They were a combination of two (2) Windows 7 one home basic one (mine) pro.

Also two (2) Windows 8.

Worked fine.

This b.s. happened after my daughter updated my Sons eight ( 8) to ten (10).

He did not like it so went back to eight ( 8).

Firewall (windows) I have turned off I think.

I ran the command: 'Netsh firewall set opmode disable' (without quotes).

Cleared all the service profile, files made sure all services via services.msc (via run) are all correct and running and still a problem.

I am going to go back till before my son had ten (10) installed.

Just to add, I still have this problem.

I have disabled Windows Firewall, which can cause these problems.

I keep getting this, which I should not get as people easily joined homegroup and entered the right password.

ws2ush.jpg

This looks like a network logon ... NOT a logon message from Homegroup.. usually it is setup to automatically handle passwords nd logons in Homegroup..

In any instance this is asking for a username ( or email ) account on the host PC.. and the matching password.. IF it still asks for this see if the host PC is still recognize in network connections as its name and not an IP address.. this seems to happen sometimes.. IF in fact someone else has logged on and is using files from a device which is set up to have users such as an NAS the files may be locked in use by an Admin account at which point it will redundantly ask you for this and eventually you will get the message that too many users with that name have already connected.. For instance being logged in to the Admin console and trying to access a share explicitly owned by admin..

Sometimes if your IP is reset or your router goes down and reboots.. and new IP's are issued.. you will get this message because it is triggered after the connection is dropped and re-identified.. If you go to network and it states that sharing is turned off in yellow up top.. you will need to click that message to fix it.. and it should be good again until another network failure.

Roku devices are notorious for creating this problem if n the same network.. ( so are some phones ) they can also be the backdoor to exploits without protection and may connect to infected servers which bring back bad traffic.. So n other words I would look ( ask ) to make sure there haven't been any weird issues like this happening, which could trigger any of these problems.. ( even protected can trigger a drop in service when a system protects itself )

I have had several of these issues like this occur with my network.. between the Roku, and crappy service provided by AT&T which is the only provider in the area.. Issues like this occur all of the time.. Even interference can cause drops in the network.. Wonder sometimes what really is going on in my neighborhood.. :P

• Administrator

I know it's a silly question, but are the workgroup named the same. I'm not an expert in homegroup and I did not know such a thing even existed until recently, particularly due to lack of other Windows computers until recently. However, the first important step of setting up homegroup was that all the workgroup names should be same.

If that is not the case then how about everyone leaving the homegroup and then creating a new one.

It is true changing the homegroup/network to reconnect and get around that problem.. this is something I have done as well... It will help identify that they are on the same network. Even if you have automatic load balancing or switching of bandwidth to 5GHz from 2.4 GHz depending on need and speed for network transfer such as gaming and media.. which would also be identifiable as a variable unless on the same workgroup.. ( and make sure your firmware is up to date just in case there is a problem with that router.. just as a check )

UNLESS.. you router has the ability to host multiple wireless channels... Like say for instance the ability to switch between six different ones which run simultaneously and having your systems able to connect to all of them or having the passwords entered for each one.. In which instance your PC's will connect to the first one available and they might not be the same one.. I would 'FORGET' or remove those entries in each one so that they all connect on the same channel.. If you also have a guest network on the same router then you will also need to make this change especially if you have set the guest channels up to not allow network access to you main network or between other guest systems or devices.. I would also not use a WPS button for this type of setup either but enter them manually ..

I know it's a silly question, but are the workgroup named the same. I'm not an expert in homegroup and I did not know such a thing even existed until recently, particularly due to lack of other Windows computers until recently. However, the first important step of setting up homegroup was that all the workgroup names should be same.

If that is not the case then how about everyone leaving the homegroup and then creating a new one.

Well have removed everyone from homegroup, removed all service profiles from each system, then created a homegroup, then changed password.

Went to each individual machine, it (in homegroup) says, so-and-so (me, my machine) has created a homegroup.

So joined up each machine, with correct password (obviously).

Then check network and each system is displayed.

Clicked each machine to open and view shared files and get the prompt, 28lgx11.jpg

I restored an image back to August 16th and still the same.

Why would people be able to join homegroup but not be able to use folders available.

I have had running homegroup fine for at least five (5) years now.

Of course, had the odd problem when either windows or some software disabled services need.

I put them back to automatic and away we went working again.

Doing my nut in this, never had this much hassle with homegroup before.

• Administrator

I personally have found homegroup implementation quite buggy. I have left and disabled the homegroup but half of my computer still thinks it's enabled. Goes to show how well it's implemented.

Now about asking for password when accessing folders. Have you enabled sharing in individual drives. As far as sharing is concerned, I think it needs to be enabled on all the individual folders you want to share with other users.

Alternatively, if you are tired with homegroup, you can try this method. Works on linux also.

Hello again.

I restored my system to an image created by Norton Ghost dated 30th of June 2015.

It fixed HomeGroup pain in the arse.

However, another problem I had, reared it's ugly head, refer to this thread: http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/250421-pop-up-certificate-pop-up/

It only appeared after I installed, CrapCleaner v5.0.9.5343, Adobe Air v19.0.0.183, KeyScrambler v3.8.1.2.

So I think it's one of these programs that has caused the pop-up.

I am nearly 100% sure CrapCleaner is not involved, but one of the other two.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Did you try restarting the main system and all subsequent systems after enabling homegroup and configuring shares on all Windows 7 machines? I know that enabling certain options of networking on Windows 7 requires ( or used to ) this even if the services are running..

Did you try restarting the main system and all subsequent systems after enabling homegroup and configuring shares on all Windows 7 machines? I know that enabling certain options of networking on Windows 7 requires ( or used to ) this even if the services are running..

HomeGroup on each machine is using default HomeGroup settings, as in they work for HomeGroup.

My family can now print and view my partitions, download u.s.b. and video u.s.b.

It was how before it stopped and works well now.

Archived