uTorrent Flagged As ‘Harmful’ by Anti-Virus Companies and Google

Karamjit

knowledge-Spammer

this is the best i can do for now

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/e7fb08f672887648d95e2e579164aa7b11d33fd4418dde84cff2ec512eb87176/analysis/1437574306/

Detection ratio: 1 / 55

link for installer so u can test if it help

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=63173479702366247098

i am a big fan of utorrent and will not stand for this bs if i can remove it so can makers of utorrent

@knowledge Have u got any better links to download from like zippyshare the ones u have are not good to use

try this one

http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/Kr1zheOK/file.html

Thanks but the file is still got malware during installation. I tested it with a sandbox

is all i can do for now i not have lots of time now but on utorrent updates ill post better with no malwere as u say ?

but weres the malwere? i removed opencandy so antivirus not flag it plz take note i am not a maker of utorrent i just like the program and try make it best i can

• Replies 40
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
knowledge-Spammer

this is the best i can do for now

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/e7fb08f672887648d95e2e579164aa7b11d33fd4418dde84cff2ec512eb87176/analysis/1437574306/

link for installer so u can test if it help

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=63173479702366247098

i am a big fan of utorrent and will not stand for this bs if i can remove it so can makers of utorrent

@knowledge Have u got any better links to download from like zippyshare the ones u have are not good to use

try this one

http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/Kr1zheOK/file.html

Thanks but the file is still got malware during installation. I tested it with a sandbox

is all i can do for now i not have lots of time now but on utorrent updates ill post better with no malwere as u say ?

but weres the malwere? i removed opencandy so antivirus not flag it plz take note i am not a maker of utorrent i just like the program and try make it best i can

ps i can fix it and remove all malwere during installation but it will be a repack so people not see the malwere during installation

knowledge-Spammer

i always prefer utorrent 2.2.1 just awesome and doesn't have any extra crap and works awesome

no do not ditch utorrent its a good program i think just need a bit of tweaking so get it how people like it but i not make u use things u not like my friend

i post on this topic as was asked to have a look so i try and help

Guys, let me know whether you would like to see a cosmetic surgery for µTorrent just the way we pimped CCleaner.

Maybe down the line, we could also look into sanitizing the µTorrent executable and let the Old Farts cling on to their beloved 2.2.1. :lmao:

u know what i think do it my firend sounds good to me

Maybe down the line, we could also look into sanitizing the µTorrent executable and let the Old Farts cling on to their beloved 2.2.1. :lmao:

na, i'm still sticking to 1.6.1

biggest security hole ever i know, 1 of my systems already exploded and another one burned down my house.

seriously, i'm using this for years, must have an uptime of tenthousands of hours and never ever had a security problem. is there any evidence?

seriously, i'm using this for years, must have an uptime of tenthousands of hours and never ever had a security problem. is there any evidence?

You are dealing with the smoke and mirrors "newer software is better" crowd. You know the same ones that will tell you to update all your (perfectly working) software due to security issues but provide no proof whatsoever............I just consider those people to be outright shills.

Edit - The only thing that you might miss by using an older version is some feature that was added to later utorrent versions.

na, i'm still sticking to 1.6.1

biggest security hole ever i know, 1 of my systems already exploded and another one burned down my house.

Please do continue to stick to the decomposing 1.6.1, by all means — the exploded system and burned-down home is all yours (you have nothing more to prove to the smoking old fuddy-duddy and his mirror.) :lol:

knowledge-Spammer

You are dealing with the smoke and mirrors "newer software is better" crowd. You know the same ones that will tell you to update all your (perfectly working) software due to security issues but provide no proof whatsoever............I just consider those people to be outright shills.

Edit - The only thing that you might miss by using an older version is some feature that was added to later utorrent versions.

for me i not care about security issues i have my own security

i like newer versions as i like the player its up to u guys what u use noone make u use things u not want to use

Several anti-virus vendors have begun blocking uTorrent after identifying the software as malicious or potentially dangerous. In addition, Google Chrome is currently blocking several pages on uTorrent's official website. According to the reports the popular file-sharing application is linked to riskware and trojans.

utorrent-logo-new.jpgWith millions of new downloads per month uTorrent is without doubt the most used BitTorrent client around.

The software is the main source of revenue for the San Francisco based company BitTorrent Inc. and generates income through advertisements and bundled software.

The latter now appears to be causing trouble as several anti-virus vendors have begun listing uTorrent as a security risk. The scanning result below from VirusTotal shows that at least six anti-virus applications, including ESET and Symantec, have flagged the software as problematic.

The anti-virus scans associate the uTorrent.exe file with Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT and the controversial OpenCandy bundling software. While this isn’t the first time that uTorrent has been flagged in this manner, we haven’t seen it being reported by this many independent tests before.

uTorrent’s Virustotal results

utorrentvirus.jpg

In addition to action by the anti-virus companies, uTorrent is also being blocked by Google in several ways. When attempting to download the latest stable release of the torrent client, Chrome flags the software as malicious and blocks the download, although this only appears to happen sporadically.

Google is also actively blocking several pages that link to uTorrent and other BitTorrent Inc. software. According to Google, parts of the uTorrent website contain “harmful programs.”

uTorrent.com warning in Chrome

utorrentharm.jpg

The same “harmful software” warning from Google also prevented millions of people from accessing popular torrent sites earlier this month.

A Google spokesperson informed us that this was the result of the company’s increased efforts to block programs that make “unexpected changes” to people’s computers.

“Google Safe Browsing’s ability to detect deceptive software has steadily improved,” the company explained in a recent blog post.

“In the coming weeks, these detection improvements will become more noticeable in Chrome: users will see more warnings about unwanted software than ever before,” Google adds.

These and the other uTorrent threat reports all seem to be triggered by bundled third-party software bundled. There is no indication or evidence that the BitTorrent client itself is harmful.

We asked BitTorrent Inc. for a comment on the recent reports but the company has yet to respond.

Source

That's why I don't use google chrome. Cause they are fucking idiots with communist behavior.

Long live firefox

PROTIP: Disable Google Safe Browsing, and remember that other browsers use that as well.

They auto-delete safe files ( flashable zip for samsung rom ) when is downloaded from mega upload, whit no warning or option to not autoremove them. So fuck them.

If they bundle shitware with it then it's a good thing they point out it contains shitware.

I will carry on using rTorrent with webui on Linux.

The 2.2.1 is a security hazard and also slower than the latest releases for folks who use an internet connection from an ISP that throttles P2P traffic.

Elaborate on that security hazard please, so I can inform others who claim it's THE best version to use.

thunderpants

I read somewhere recently that v1.8.3 is the best version(well anything after that is not so good) ,something to do with the way it downloads torrents.

I think it was about being more sucessful downloading/connecting to trackers (if that's the right term).

Less chance of getting knocked back.

sorry ,my knowledge on torrenting is not good :)

Anyway i reckon Google and others have been talking to some movie companies behind the scenes.

Conspiracy i say !!

Browsers are slowly morphing into locked down drm boxes.

The 2.2.1 is a security hazard and also slower than the latest releases for folks who use an internet connection from an ISP that throttles P2P traffic.

Elaborate on that security hazard please, so I can inform others who claim it's THE best version to use.

Planning to compile a comprehensive µTorrent, at the Playground — covering security, cosmetics, firewalling best practices, etc., etc. ;)

• Administrator

In uTorrent, my first suggestion would be to disable uTP and use cFosSpeed on your PC. Other clients are far better in managing uTP than uTorrent does.

In uTorrent, my first suggestion would be to disable uTP and use cFosSpeed on your PC. Other clients are far better in managing uTP than uTorrent does.

What are the other clients u r referring?

Can u elaborate

• Administrator

What are the other clients u r referring?

Can u elaborate

Sure. I'm talking about clients particularly based on libtorrent like qBittorrent and Deluge. I have found that clients based on libtorrent have particularly better implementation of uTP than uTorrent has. How uTP works as per them has been mentioned on this page. Thing is, libtorrent has not only detailed the uTP and it's implementation, it has improved upon it, which is unlike uTorrent, which has badly implemented uTP and even if they have improved upon it, they have never detailed it.

What this means for users though. I personally found many issues when using uTP in uTorrent, however, couple of them were more important and common. One, as soon as it detected that the network is being used by something else than uTorrent itself, it used to drastically limit it's speeds to next to nothing, which it should not do I think, it should limit a little but not so much, but still, as soon as the network was free from any other internet usage, it failed to get the transfer rate back to the full speed. Two, there were regular instances where the client used to wrongly and artificially limit the transfer rate for no reason, even if there was no other network usage than that of the client. Maybe it was more like just a few KB of transfer from other things on network and immediately uTorrent limited it's speed. How this was fixed. I had to restart uTorrent everytime. This problem, I faced in all the uTorrent versions I used from the time uTP was implemented till the time I last tried. I did not face this issue in other clients based on libtorrent. They not only implemented it better, they even fixed problems with it.

I believe, even without trying them all, all the clients except uTorrent might have better implementation of uTP. :P

If you guys look at libtorrent documentation, you will find that these are the people who have actually worked and improved upon torrents, while still being open source. I have also heard that libtorrent developers even contribute towards the improvement and development of uTorrent.

It is true that cFosSpeed does indeed work better than the uTP on µTorrent — however, in my tests of the same against BitTorrent, Deluge, qBittorrent and Tixati, find that this feature (without cFosSpeed) works best on µTorrent, so far.

BTW, can someone who is using µTorrent 2.2.1, post a screenshot of the following window:—

SZlpX5s.png

Archived