uTorrent Flagged As ‘Harmful’ by Anti-Virus Companies and Google

Karamjit

Several anti-virus vendors have begun blocking uTorrent after identifying the software as malicious or potentially dangerous. In addition, Google Chrome is currently blocking several pages on uTorrent's official website. According to the reports the popular file-sharing application is linked to riskware and trojans.

utorrent-logo-new.jpgWith millions of new downloads per month uTorrent is without doubt the most used BitTorrent client around.

The software is the main source of revenue for the San Francisco based company BitTorrent Inc. and generates income through advertisements and bundled software.

The latter now appears to be causing trouble as several anti-virus vendors have begun listing uTorrent as a security risk. The scanning result below from VirusTotal shows that at least six anti-virus applications, including ESET and Symantec, have flagged the software as problematic.

The anti-virus scans associate the uTorrent.exe file with Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT and the controversial OpenCandy bundling software. While this isn’t the first time that uTorrent has been flagged in this manner, we haven’t seen it being reported by this many independent tests before.

uTorrent’s Virustotal results
utorrentvirus.jpg

In addition to action by the anti-virus companies, uTorrent is also being blocked by Google in several ways. When attempting to download the latest stable release of the torrent client, Chrome flags the software as malicious and blocks the download, although this only appears to happen sporadically.

Google is also actively blocking several pages that link to uTorrent and other BitTorrent Inc. software. According to Google, parts of the uTorrent website contain “harmful programs.”

uTorrent.com warning in Chrome
utorrentharm.jpg

The same “harmful software” warning from Google also prevented millions of people from accessing popular torrent sites earlier this month.

A Google spokesperson informed us that this was the result of the company’s increased efforts to block programs that make “unexpected changes” to people’s computers.

“Google Safe Browsing’s ability to detect deceptive software has steadily improved,” the company explained in a recent blog post.

“In the coming weeks, these detection improvements will become more noticeable in Chrome: users will see more warnings about unwanted software than ever before,” Google adds.

These and the other uTorrent threat reports all seem to be triggered by bundled third-party software bundled. There is no indication or evidence that the BitTorrent client itself is harmful.

We asked BitTorrent Inc. for a comment on the recent reports but the company has yet to respond.

Source

• Replies 40
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Israeli_Eagle

Simply make sure that you install only utorrent and nothing else!!!

In the end my own NOD32 says it's clean.

fyejbiqzuwjaa0re7i.jpg

uTorrent version 3.4.3.40760

i always prefer utorrent 2.2.1 just awesome and doesn't have any extra crap and works awesome

i always prefer utorrent 2.2.1 just awesome and doesn't have any extra crap and works awesome

The 2.2.1 is a security hazard and also slower than the latest releases for folks who use an internet connection from an ISP that throttles P2P traffic.

As far as the extra crap is concerned — that can be prevented quite easily (as you are already well-aware.)

Can't blame the security providers for flagging µTorrent — they committed the cardinal sin of migrating their installation from the Program File directory to the Application directory. A5qMhta.gifRL8WwPy.gif

Whether your security system detects µTorrent or not depends solely upon your own configuration — my NOD32 does detect recent releases.

knowledge-Spammer

Can't blame the security providers for flagging µTorrent — they committed the cardinal sin of migrating their installation from the Program File directory to the Application directory. A5qMhta.gifRL8WwPy.gif

Whether your security system detects µTorrent or not depends solely upon your own configuration — my NOD32 does detect recent releases.

did u remove open candy from installer may be y antivirus program not like it ? i have not tested this yet but seems a easy fix to stop it been

flag

i think this say it all

The anti-virus scans associate the uTorrent.exe file with Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT and the controversial OpenCandy bundling software. While this isn’t the first time that uTorrent has been flagged in this manner, we haven’t seen it being reported by this many independent tests before.

6 out of 8 say

Opencandy

Cp_Wz_014.png

Opencandy just remove it and all better

Old news really, torrentfreak must have ran out of stuff to talk about again, people have been having problems with opencandy adware and utorrent for along time .

​Here is topic at utorrent that dates back to 2014 about it . anyways you most likely can unpack it and it would be gone.

http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/90702-malware-on-install/

​Ive never install this program no ways always used a portable version the installers has had much worse than opencandy in them before . :P

knowledge-Spammer

i have bin testing this out this what i know

with opencandy removed

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/03b5dcd972349b5e6ce50d169bab0a56bb1aca6237c67b440bbc1d9910cb4191/analysis/1437573106/

and for pro version opencandy removed

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/b7d940a9f3c9ca882db2431de8de0fceae24ec7b667fc164ff9a80551ebac28b/analysis/1437573337/

but ill be looking at this more soon to help remove all opencandy

knowledge-Spammer

this is the best i can do for now

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/e7fb08f672887648d95e2e579164aa7b11d33fd4418dde84cff2ec512eb87176/analysis/1437574306/

Detection ratio: 1 / 55

link for installer so u can test if it help

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=63173479702366247098

i am a big fan of utorrent and will not stand for this bs if i can remove it so can makers of utorrent

did u remove open candy from installer may be y antivirus program not like it ? i have not tested this yet but seems a easy fix to stop it been

flag

Actually, I am done with µTorrent - at least for the time-being (busy testing out alternatives.)

Just downloaded µTorrent from your link, last time - for a resolution to the issue that was reported.

i think this say it all

6 out of 8 say

Opencandy

Cp_Wz_014.png

Yes, security systems do (rightfully) detect µTorrent since it comes bundled with AdWare - the limited point I was trying to make is that most folks do not realize that their security system is misconfigured when they fail to see a red flag.

knowledge-Spammer

flag

Actually, I am done with µTorrent - at least for the time-being (busy testing out alternatives.)

Just downloaded µTorrent from your link, last time - for a resolution to the issue that was reported.

i think this say it all

6 out of 8 say

Opencandy

Cp_Wz_014.png

Yes, security systems do (rightfully) detect µTorrent since it comes bundled with AdWare - the limited point I was trying to make is that most folks do not realize that their security system is misconfigured when they fail to see a red flag.

try this one is best i can do for now

//www.nsaneforums.com/topic/248922-utorrent-flagged-as-harmful-by-anti-virus-companies-and-google/?do=findComment&comment=956089

flag

i think this say it all

6 out of 8 say

Opencandy

Cp_Wz_014.png

What alternatives did u like other than uTorrent ?

regards

knowledge-Spammer

nice post pamadhilwankalan i learn a lot from this so i can make utorrent better for people who ask me to post on utorrent topics

i just use utorrent and will fix the OpenCandy so people will not see it

@ knowledge

You guys don't want me to ditch µTorrent. ^_^

@ kantry123

Have got a few P2P alternatives (including µTorrent) lined-up, on my system - have not been able to put them to the test due to a hectic schedule. :(

knowledge-Spammer

@ knowledge

You guys don't want me to ditch µTorrent. ^_^

@ kantry123

Have got a few P2P alternatives (including µTorrent) lined-up, on my system - have not been able to put them to the test due to a hectic schedule. :(

no do not ditch utorrent its a good program i think just need a bit of tweaking so get it how people like it but i not make u use things u not like my friend

i post on this topic as was asked to have a look so i try and help

I have always had a problem with uTorrent running from the appdata/roaming folder since I don't allow any software to run from the appdata folder. So I scan its folder and then move it to C:\ and run it from their. Any update will install to my appdata folder and not the actual folder I am running it from so it cannot update nor install anything that actually affects my system. So far this system seems to work well.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/e7fb08f672887648d95e2e579164aa7b11d33fd4418dde84cff2ec512eb87176/analysis/1437574306/

i am a big fan of utorrent and will not stand for this bs if i can remove it so can makers of utorrent

@knowledge Have u got any better links to download from like zippyshare the ones u have are not good to use

Several anti-virus vendors have begun blocking uTorrent after identifying the software as malicious or potentially dangerous. In addition, Google Chrome is currently blocking several pages on uTorrent's official website. According to the reports the popular file-sharing application is linked to riskware and trojans.

utorrent-logo-new.jpgWith millions of new downloads per month uTorrent is without doubt the most used BitTorrent client around.

The software is the main source of revenue for the San Francisco based company BitTorrent Inc. and generates income through advertisements and bundled software.

The latter now appears to be causing trouble as several anti-virus vendors have begun listing uTorrent as a security risk. The scanning result below from VirusTotal shows that at least six anti-virus applications, including ESET and Symantec, have flagged the software as problematic.

utorrentvirus.jpg

In addition to action by the anti-virus companies, uTorrent is also being blocked by Google in several ways. When attempting to download the latest stable release of the torrent client, Chrome flags the software as malicious and blocks the download, although this only appears to happen sporadically.

Google is also actively blocking several pages that link to uTorrent and other BitTorrent Inc. software. According to Google, parts of the uTorrent website contain “harmful programs.”

utorrentharm.jpg

The same “harmful software” warning from Google also prevented millions of people from accessing popular torrent sites earlier this month.

A Google spokesperson informed us that this was the result of the company’s increased efforts to block programs that make “unexpected changes” to people’s computers.

“Google Safe Browsing’s ability to detect deceptive software has steadily improved,” the company explained in a recent blog post.

“In the coming weeks, these detection improvements will become more noticeable in Chrome: users will see more warnings about unwanted software than ever before,” Google adds.

These and the other uTorrent threat reports all seem to be triggered by bundled third-party software bundled. There is no indication or evidence that the BitTorrent client itself is harmful.

We asked BitTorrent Inc. for a comment on the recent reports but the company has yet to respond.

Source

That's why I don't use google chrome. Cause they are fucking idiots with communist behavior.

Long live firefox

utorrentvirus.jpg

utorrentharm.jpg

Source

That's why I don't use google chrome. Cause they are fucking idiots with communist behavior.

Long live firefox

PROTIP: Disable Google Safe Browsing, and remember that other browsers use that as well.

knowledge-Spammer

@knowledge Have u got any better links to download from like zippyshare the ones u have are not good to use

try this one

http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/Kr1zheOK/file.html

That utorrent version is the last version of the once great torrent client before it went downhill, however the smoke and mirrors crowd will tell you that the latest version is the bees knees.

Newer software is not always better (and the same can be said about many other software that has turned to shit).

try this one

File doesn't exist on the server.... Can you please reupload ?

no do not ditch utorrent its a good program i think just need a bit of tweaking so get it how people like it but i not make u use things u not like my friend

i post on this topic as was asked to have a look so i try and help

Guys, let me know whether you would like to see a cosmetic surgery for µTorrent just the way we pimped CCleaner.

Maybe down the line, we could also look into sanitizing the µTorrent executable and let the Old Farts cling on to their beloved 2.2.1. :lmao:

try this one

Thanks but the file is still got malware during installation. I tested it with a sandbox

Archived