Android 5.0.1 Lollipop now available

Ponting

Lollipop-Forest-e1415557308890.jpg

Just like any other first iteration of a major operating system release, Android 5.0 Lollipop is not without its fair share of problems. The main issues that users are reporting are related to battery life, responsiveness and Wi-Fi. Like other 2013 Nexus 7 users, I also have problems every so often with video playback on YouTube, something which did not crop up back in the Android 4.4 KitKat days.

Naturally, most issues will go away with the first or second update. Google is actively working on squashing the reported bugs, proof being that the company just pushed Android 5.0.1 Lollipop to AOSP (Android Open Source Project) and released the accompanying factory images for a number of its devices.

At the time of writing this article, only a couple Nexus devices have Android 5.0.1 Lollipop factory images. The list is, so far, limited to Wi-Fi versions of 2013 Nexus 7, Nexus 9, and Nexus 10. Here are the download links:

At the time of writing this article, Google has yet to roll out the over-the-air (OTA) updates, so your best bet of upgrading to Android 5.0.1 is by using the corresponding factory image. Personally, this is not something that I recommend as not even Google officially supports upgrading to a newer Android iteration using the factory images.

I have experienced mixed results using this method, hence my advice is to stay away from it. The worst that that could happen is a botched upgrade, which will force you to do a clean install.

On the other hand, if you want to do a clean install, the factory image is what you need. It is easy to do, even if you have not done this before. I have prepared a how-to guide, which you can follow to get Android 5.0.1 Lollipop up and running on your Nexus device. (If you wish to take your chances with the upgrade, I have also provided instructions for this.)

Source: http://betanews.com/2014/12/03/android-5-0-1-lollipop-now-available-heres-how-you-can-install-it/

• Replies 10
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop for Samsung devices to be released on 30th February 2015.

Hi,

It's A Joke ?

I have A Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and the only update from Samsung I have seen in 2 years is upgrade from Android 4.0 to 4.1.2

Samsung is known to be stingy of updates ! :s

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop for Samsung devices to be released on 30th February 2015.

Hi,

It's A Joke ?

I have A Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and the only update from Samsung I have seen in 2 years is upgrade from Android 4.0 to 4.1.2

Did you take a close look at the date? :tehe:

BTW, I am already running the Lollipop 5.0.1 on my Samsung Galaxy S4 - on a custom ROM, though.

Hi,

It's A Joke ?

Well, yes, one learns to wait for updates from Samsung.

Thats why i get my ROM's custom from XDA :)

Lol, we have builders working on Lolipop for my model, a still ass kicking Galaxy S2. I sill reckon the best phone theyve ever made. Probably the most developed for device in XDA history.

Currently i have Kit Kat 4.4.4 on it, rock solid.

What was Samsung last update for that, 2 years ago....4.1.2

So, yeah you can wait....

Very recently, I had passed a remark (at someone's RSU - maybe my own) that the custom Lollipop ROM for Samsung was practically unusable (mostly, due to the unintelligible audio) - well, last night the Developer released Build # 5 which has fixed most of the issues (except one where the camera crashes.)

Just a heads-up - those who might want to rush to download the custom Lollipop ROM for Samsung would benefit by waiting one more day as the Developer has promised to publish a new release (possibly - Build # 6) to mitigate the camera issue. F3h9xqz.gif

Just a heads-up - those who might want to rush to download the custom Lollipop ROM for Samsung would benefit by waiting one more day as the Developer has promised to publish a new release (possibly - Build # 6) to mitigate the camera issue. F3h9xqz.gif

Ok . . . . . . . as promised, the Developer has just released (what might get designated as Beta 6) - this is the release to try (for those Samsung Users who might wish to take the plunge into Lollipop 5.0.1.)

I am just testing it out - first impression is that it is very fluid and IMO does qualify to be used as a daily driver. F3h9xqz.gif

I am just testing it out - first impression is that it is very fluid and IMO does qualify to be used as a daily driver. F3h9xqz.gif

Well Build # 7 is out and has been designated as a daily driver.

Archived