NewsGroups.

Guest Globalist

• Replies 45
  • Views 24k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Globalist

Thanks, but that same link just opens up a bunch of code as a tab on my browser. Haven't a clue why.

I tried the NewsLeecher in the NewsGroup section and the page just doesn't open. Yet, all the forums are acting correctly.

Anyway, I gather I'm using a 2nd rate news-reader compared to Newsbin and NewsLeecher.

I'll try that section again.

What browser are you using?

Some browsers don't open NZB's automatically, and instead see them as XML's. Try using IE. After you've downloaded the file, use GrabIt to download the files from Usenet then you can begin uninstalling GrabIt and installing NewsBin Pro.

If you're using Firefox or Opera, you will need to set up advanced rules to recognise NZB's from the web so that they won't open automatically.

If you're using Opera, I can help you. If it's Firefox someone else will help you out, maybe nsane as he uses that browser I believe.

Guest Globalist

Cheers mate :dance2:

PS. where did you get that superior ST. George's flag. Or is it only for special people. ie Mod's/Admin's :(

PS. I ran the crack, but then it error'd by not being able to find ''unrar.dll''. I've downloaded it, but nothing seems to have helped.

The flag should be in the control panel. I only noticed it today on nsane's list, so it may be only recent.

As for the files, I have no idea. I obv don't need to use it as I purchased NewsLeecher so haven't downloaded it. Was there an .nfo included? Try looking at that for any specific instructions.

Guest Globalist

There's a text file saying ''Unzip crack(s) to application directory and overwrite''.

If you can tell me how to do that, it's sorted. Above all, I'd be very appreciative :dance2:

Simply put, use WinRAR to extract the items specified to the installation directory, i.e C:/Program Files/Newsbin/ or whatever it is.

Guest Globalist

Looks like I'm hopeless at this issue.

I extract the crack to ''nbpro.exe''. But, all I see is ''NewsBin'' and under that, ''crack''. However, I don't see a .exe

How do I put the file inside ''nbpro.exe''. As I can't find a .exe

Alright, it's pretty basic here...

• Download the NZB and load into GrabIt
  • Once downloaded, you'll see a file named "a-nbp502"
  • Drag and drop using WinRAR the contents of this RAR into the same folder as "a-nbp502"
  • It will extract 3 files, making 4 in total. The NFO contains the instructions.
  • Open the new "a-nbp502" that was just extracted. There'll be 2 files, "nb502-install" and a folder named "crack". The install file is what it is. The executable for Newsbin Pro. The "crack" folder is what you need to copy over AFTER installation.
  • Install Newsbin Pro.
  • Open folder "crack" and copy contents to the SAME directory you installed Newbin too. This means either remembering where you installed it, or making a note of it.
  • Reboot, if needed

Guest Globalist

The issue is, that when I open the crack it says unrar.dll missing.

If I don't open the crack and copy it to wher eyou said, it still doesn't work.

You don't open it, you move the contents.

I'm going to test it myself in a minute and we'll see if it's bad.

Edit* Works fine for me. You must be doing something wrong :dance2:

post-3-1134933302.png

Guest Globalist
You must be doing something wrong :dance2:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's been one of them day's :(

On the contrary, I've only experienced the occasional 'glitch' with GrabIt. Once with the earlier version/build and a file I got off NZB-Zone today, which I managed to sort out by just re-opening GrabIt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but NeewsLeecher and NewsBin are primarily only offering me 'functionality'?. Obvioulsy, once I start using more of the NewsGroups offered by my ISP, I'll possibly use the two main 'readers'. Up until then, I seem to be rather fine with GrabIt.

Thanks for the information Samurai, Nsane.

Well it's not just functionality although that does help. Newsbin were the original creators of the NZB format, so they're bound to be one of the leading contenders when it comes to that area. Both Newsbin and NewsLeecher offer many more features not available in GrabIt.

The GUI's are more cleaner, multiple servers support and yEnc support are extremely more advanced.

If I was you, I'd make the switch to be honest. The instructions on page 2 of this thread should be more than enough to get set up. Don't stay with GrabIt if the only reason is that you couldn't get it set up first time around. You'll be making a mistake, and you will be getting more of those text files every now and again instead of the files you're after.

You only need to install the app, and copy the contents of "crack" into the installation directory. Simple as that :dance2:

how can you tell if your ISP provides acess to newsgroups?

Um... go to their website would be the first thing that comes to mind :rolleyes:

Archived