NewsGroups.

Guest Globalist

Guest Globalist

Hi.

I've just been introduced to NewsGroups and noticed my ISP offers them. (I'll end up using NewsHosting.com, yet I want to get a feel of them for free).

Do I just hook up to one of my ISP's server(s) using Grabit?

Thanks.

PS. It looks like I have got to grips with grabit. But, I'm just not to sure of the technicalitys regaurding 'access'. For instance, can I download off binsearch.info ect ect?

Downloading stuff at the moment, yet I htink I'll need some help on .par's and stuff.

Looking good so far :P

PS. It looks like something has went wrog with grabit. ie not opening, it just say's ''initializing''.

If I delete grbait, will I still be able to retrive what I already downloaded to convert?.

It's ok. Looks like the grabit form download.com is shit. I got a better version/build.

• Replies 45
  • Views 24k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Globalist

Thanks for the reply, anyway.

I managed to sort out Grabit and realised that the program just let's you extract one of the .Rar files in the 'download folder' then 'bob's you're uncle' :P

I haven't come across .Par's, as of yet. Hopefully, someone might help me out on that issue.

Apart from that, it looks like these NewsGroups are great :P

PS. I have come across some files that are blue in Grabit, and ones that are in black mean they have multiple files to make the whole file. Am I right in assuming that the blue files are just one particular file and not having to download multiple ones?.

Thank again.

I'm not entirely sure on GrabIt as I use NewsLeecher now, so I've kinda forgotten the intricities of the app.

NewsBin Pro was just uploaded to Usenet the other day so I'll post a verified in the NG section at some point tonight.

For now, use this attachment. Once downloaded, try using it instead of GrabIt to download from Newsgroups. I don't use and have never tried NewsBin Pro but it's supposed to be up there with the likes of NewsLeecher :P Don't forget to sort out any settings in the options to cater for your taste (download folder, connections etc...)

Guest Globalist

Thanks. At the moment, Grabit seems fine. No doubt, I'll start using the program you suggested.

Am I right in thinking I can use binsearch and nzbzone ect ect if I have access to NewsGroups through my ISP?. (At the moment I have just been downloading off groups it offers).

Yup. NZB-Zone seems to be the best bet at the moment, with many people contributing NZB's. They do have a small limit of downloads/day for normal registered members, but a small donation of $5 (which they're due to remove "soon" will bypass this limit).

Just curious, what's your retention?

NTL have caps :P

Thank the lord I left them years ago. What connection are you on?

Still looking for their retention but according to users it's around 7 days.

Guest Globalist
NTL have caps :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not technical caps. Not on my line, anyway :P

As from January, NTL have officially announced that the 1mb and 2mb will be 'unlimited' downloads.

I'm on their 1mb connection.

Guest Globalist

On the issue of retention, am I right in thinking that I can only get the use of binsearch if I set it by the retention given by my ISP?.

I set it to 1 week, and then it let me download. I set it above that, and it doesn't let me.

I'm not relaly bothered. Yet, I'm jus thoping you can clear up some of these technicalitys.

Thanks.

retention is basicly how long a file is on the server, after that it gets deleted and you'll just get an empty.txt file. so for you, you'd only be able to download files that were uploaded within the past 7 days :(

as for par/par2 files, those are recovery blocks for repairing damaged/incomplete downloads (ie. it didn't make it from the source server to your server completely intact). just download QuickPAR and run the par2 file, NOT one of the '10+60' files, to test and/or repair your downloads (hell, i don't even download the '10+60' files unless quickpar needs em...they're usually an extra 100MB for every 700MB worth of data) :dance2:

Guest Globalist

Yeah, I assumed that I had only 7 days.

You having any issues with Binsearch, at all?.

On the subject of NewsGroups, have you got the whole ''King Kong'' film?. I'm having trouble getting the parts.

PS. these NewsGroups are great, I just started using them today :(

Another PS. I found an XviD version :dance2:

don't really use it to be honest, i only use nzb-zone and newzbin. you can't download NZBs there unless you donate, newzbin, but it's a great source for checking what's been up uploaded without having to sit around downloading headers for half an hour :(

On the subject of NewsGroups, have you got the whole ''King Kong'' film?. I'm having trouble getting the parts.

PS. these NewsGroups are great, I just started using them today  :ph34r:

Another PS. I found an XviD version  :dance2:

nah, there's only a CAM and an ok TELESYNC out atm (which are NO WHERE near my quality standards). i'm ganna wait for atleast a dvdscr before worrying about it...suppost to be a good movie :(

don't really use it to be honest, i only use nzb-zone and newzbin. you can't download NZBs there unless you donate, newzbin, but it's a great source for checking what's been up uploaded without having to sit around downloading headers for half an hour :(

PS. these NewsGroups are great, I just started using them today  :ph34r:

Another PS. I found an XviD version  :dance2:

nah, there's only a CAM and an ok TELESYNC out atm (which are NO WHERE near my quality standards). i'm ganna wait for atleast a dvdscr before worrying about it...suppost to be a good movie :(

in a.b.pazer that 3 disk cam was converted by poster zzm to a dvd format and he fix things on it. sync, brightness etc.

²³ DarkBunny Presents: ³±

²³ King Kong 2005 REPACK Cam. (Vcd converted to Dvd) ³±

²³ Original Release Group : Hydro ³±

²³ ³±

ɼËÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ

ÍÍÍÍÍËÈ»

Èμ Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Ð Èμ

ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ

ÍÍÍÍͼ

²³ ³±

²³ Release : King Kong 2005 ³±

²³ Release Date : 12/14/2005 ³±

²³ Theater Date : 12/14/2005 ³±

²³ Imdb Rating : 8.3/10 (3,138 votes) ³±

²³ Url : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360717/ ³±

²³ Original Format : Vcd (CAM) ³±

²³ Rars : 124 W/ 6% Par2 ³±

²³ Genre : Action/Adventure/Drama/Fantasy/Thriller ³±

²³ File Name : k.kong.hyd.dvd ³±

²³ Sample : Included ³±

²³ File Format : Ntsc / Vobs ³±

²³ File Size : 1.74gb ³±

²³ Source : Cam ³±

²³ Audio : Mp2/48KHz/224Kbps ³±

²³ Language : English ³±

²³ Video : 2pass ³±

²³ Aspect : 4:3 -- According To Hydro ³±

²³ Chapters : Every 8 Mins ³±

²³ This is a dvd conversion - Watch Sample If You Don't Like The ³±

²³ Quality - Don't Download It ! Burn Tested..Enjoy ³±

²³ ³±

²³ Notes: Ok ..PLEASE DO NOT WATCH THIS ON THE PC BURN IT TO DVD ³±

²³ IT LOOKS MUCH MUCH BETTER ON THE STANDALONE.. ³±

²³ This is from the repack and in sync, Video notes..Brightened a bit and ³±

²³ of course thats why they had it so dark to hide the noise, which is what you ³±

²³ will see if you watch on the pc, sharpened a bit..I DID not screw with correcting ³±

²³ the Ar I put too much time into this avg. cam already..it is now watchable, Enjoy ³±

Yup. It's the daddy for a reason :dance2: The database is pretty huge... bigger than other places I've signed up at.

Whats a newsgroup? I seriously thought it was a bunch of guys gathered up to discuss news ..... Like ... software, hardware etc.

:dance2:

well, that's what it started out as in the very early stages, but since the binary groups have been added they make for a great file download source (dedicated servers). so instead of sitting around waiting on a good p2p source, you can download from the newsgroups and instantly max out your connection :(

i personally download a few movies here and there, takes me about 45mins per CD (compared to 3-8 hours with emule) :dance2:

check with your ISP, most offer them for free. if not, and you have a bit of spare cash, newshosting is a good usenet ISP...just be sure to use the link on our site when signing up (help us out a bit while your at it) :dance2:

Guest Globalist

Looks like the first thing I downloaded from NZB-Zone has turned out to be text files. It was only posted yesterday. It was a 2GB version of ''King Kong''.

What the hell could it be? :dance2:

Text file downloads normally occur when one or more factors happen.

Either...

• The retention from your news server is not adequate enough to grab the files from the servers, or
  • GrabIt is having it's usual issues again. It's a common bug in GrabIt, although it doesn't happen that much... it's still annoying when it happens. If this is the case, try a different News Reader.

Archived