Daum PotPlayer 1.6.47450

anuraag

Many thanks Steve for the information! It's really helpful.

the 2nd clause: "or providing service or technology that is suitable to the user environment of the User" is really vague and technically it means that Daum can do anything with the information they collected.

I will only use MPC-HC from now on. No free lunch in this world, so true.

Regards,

oliverjia

I haven't used PotPlayer for a while now, since MPC-HC works great on all my computers. I always wonder, what would be the incentive for the Daum developers to release this free media player, as Potplayer is not open source either? Is there some information harvesting process involved?

What i read the reason its not open source is they distributed the GPL version of ffmpeg (instead of the LGPL one), hence the PotPlayer must released under the GPL. If they don't want to release the PotPlayer under the GPL, they must use the LGPL version of ffmpeg (and package it for the public) They never complied with this so there thread got shut down at doom9 that's one of downsides for pot theres not been really no English support for in lit like 2 years.

And answer to your question yes there is ..

Article 5 (Collection and Use of Data and Other Information)

1. (1) Daum may collect and use data from the computer of Users as a part of its product support services that are provided to Users in connection with the Software. Data that may be collected solely include the type of computer and type of operating system used on the computer, memory capacity, type of graphic card, Directx version, media player version, type of webcam and TV reception card.
  2. (2) Daum will use the above collected data only for the purpose of improving the Software or providing service or technology that is suitable to the user environment of the User and will not use such data for any other purposes

Source: http://www.anonymz.com/?http://potplayer.daum.net/publicRelation

• Replies 26
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steven36

• Matsuda

• jvidal

• liverpal

Top Posters In This Topic

@steven36 -- never realized that with data collection on this. Glad you pointed it out. Yet another thing to block in Comodo. Disappointed.

Edited by mray88