Microsoft experimenting with free version of Windows 8.1

geeteam

Microsoft is currently experimenting with a free version of Windows 8.1 that could boost the number of people using the operating system. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the company is building "Windows 8.1 with Bing," a version that will bundle key Microsoft apps and services. While early versions of the software have leaked online, we understand that Windows 8.1 with Bing is an experimental project that aims to bring a low-cost version of Windows to consumers. ZDNet first reported some Windows 8.1 with Bing details earlier this week.

wzorbingwin81-620x484.png?hash=AQp3Z2MyZ

We’re told that Microsoft is aiming to position Windows 8.1 with Bing as a free or low-cost upgrade for Windows 7 users. Any upgrade offers will be focused on boosting the number of people using Windows 8.1. This Bing-powered version of Windows 8.1 may also be offered to PC makers as part of recent license cuts for devices under $250. It’s not clear how committed Microsoft is to these plans, but the experiment is part of a number of initiatives designed to push and monetize Microsoft’s cloud services and apps. Microsoft is increasingly betting on Bing as a platform it can monetize in the future. Microsoft is also considering low-cost or free versions of Windows Phone, and the company is working towards merging its Windows RT and Windows Phone software into a single version designed for ARM-based chipsets.
Bing-powered apps are currently bundled into Windows 8.1, and a leaked version of "Windows 8.1 with Bing" does not appear to reveal any significant changes yet. Microsoft recently unveiled its Windows 8.1 spring update, and the company is expected to further detail the update at its Build developer conference in April. Additional details around the merging of Windows RT and Windows Phone are also expected to be shared at the Build conference.

• Replies 12
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geeteam

• demoneye

• anuseems

• haxzion

BING stands for nothing, but the sound the XBOX 360 makes (standard models) ... I am not sure if the annoying noise came out first on the XBOX or was thought of somewhere along the lines of development.. but that's my toss-in-the-hat.

MidnightDistortions

I don't know why MS continues to drag this nonsense further. If they want more uses they could give users the interface they have been 'complaining' about. Linux is still pretty much the future for me.

MS should experiment with a free version of windows 9 (or whatever the name will be) and stop trying to drag ppl away from windows 7..

W7 is a great OS make a better one....

You may be able to pick up a free version of Windows 8.1 in the near future, as Microsoft is reportedly trying out a cut-down edition of the OS

From Techradar:

Dubbed Windows 8.1 with Bing (and doesn't that sound enticing!), the software will bundle key Microsoft apps and services according to The Verge and its sources. The idea is to make Windows 8.1 with Bing a free or very cheap upgrade for people using Windows 7, or as a cheap OS option for companies that make budget Windows PCs. There are also similar subsidised plans afoot for Windows Phone to encourage phone makers to target the lower end of the market.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing/pc/microsoft-to-lure-users-to-windows-8-1-with-a-free-version--1229807

Edited by anuseems

Who knows, maybe it's a way of making people switch to Windows 8.1, so what happens to the XP users...

OS should be free always , they can only charge for software installing on the os (eg office , visio ....).

they should and can add the OS cost , splitting it into all of their products , so it wont be noticed much when a person purchase any ms products.

make sense? :)

Edited by demoneye

Yeah @demoneye I agree with you.

two bad Bing is not so good

I think bing is great.

Though be nice if it could be updated and repaired on a regular basis.

Current issue I have with it, is it wants to translate everything that is English into English as it thinks yahoo pool is Italian so wants to translate it to English, when it is English already.

Hope you catch my drift.

Windows user base is declining and Linux user base is increasing.There is no other option left for MS.