WhatsApp for Android update brings updated privacy settings

geeteam

WhatsApp has released a new update (v2.11.169) for Android that brings with it some new privacy options. You can now choose who can see your ‘Last seen’, profile photo and status message. You can let everyone see it, only your contacts see it or set it so no one can see it.

gsmarena_001.jpg

The iOS version of WhatsApp has had the ability to hide the Last seen status since forever but it’s only now that the Android version received it. But along with it, it also got the ability to hide the profile photo and status message, that iOS version does not yet have.

There are several other changes, as well. The mute functionality has been improved and now finally works as it should. Previously, even if you muted a group, you would still see the notifications. Now, muting the group makes it completely silent and only when you open the app would you know you have new messages from a group. Unfortunately, there is still no permanent mute option and the maximum duration you can choose is still one week.

Other than that you can also choose to migrate your number from within the app now. As you may know, WhatsApp uses only your phone number for authentication and all your data is associated with your number. This option lets you migrate it to another number if you get another SIM.

You can now also pay for a friend. You can choose from 1, 3 or 5 year subscription option and gift it to a friend using Google Wallet, PayPal or sending payment link.

The new WhatsApp update for Android is not yet available on the Play Store.

-|Download Link|-

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geeteam

• Technology

• sanjoa

• Matt

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Never used facebook cause I never liked them and now after still not decide what smartphone I should buy I'll not use whatsapp. Thanks FFB.

Never used facebook cause I never liked them and now after still not decide what smartphone I should buy I'll not use whatsapp. Thanks FFB.

Just Lost off WhatsApp, My last seen was yesterday. Deleted my WhatsApp account. Facebook really pisses me off. Maybe the only WhatsApp Alternative in Telegram.

Just Lost off WhatsApp, My last seen was yesterday. Deleted my WhatsApp account. Facebook really pisses me off. Maybe the only WhatsApp Alternative in Telegram.

Telegram is nice and kind of secure compare to whatsapp. I have viber Installed and trust me I hate that app I don't want on my phone, but the only reason I use it is because I have some friends and family member on it which cost me money to call them directly and I have no idea why they love Viber even after my explanation about privacy. Viber cannot be trust since its piracy is not user friendly. But nonetheless, I have made some change to the app through App Ops made a bit secure.

In Argentina most people use WhatsApp. some are moving to Line. nobody is yet on Viber or Telegram. and some people are on BBM.

Telegram is nice and kind of secure compare to whatsapp. I have viber Installed and trust me I hate that app I don't want on my phone, but the only reason I use it is because I have some friends and family member on it which cost me money to call them directly and I have no idea why they love Viber even after my explanation about privacy. Viber cannot be trust since its piracy is not user friendly. But nonetheless, I have made some change to the app through App Ops made a bit secure.

Glad my Family(I mean my Parents and Siblings) is not Viber either, But they LOVE WhatsApp, I dont how am going to convince them to stay away or even get the hook off WhatsApp, (Already started yesterday by deleting my account) and move to Telegram maybe. Maybe we should try and preach about Telegram. NSA, Dont wanna live as ... Our Privacy is at stake ...

In Argentina most people use WhatsApp. some are moving to Line. nobody is yet on Viber or Telegram. and some people are on BBM.

Maybe lots of Noise is not made. Use your influence to help them migrate off WhatsApp. Introduce Telegram to them.

Whatsapp is popular because of it messaging facility for quite awhile now, but it lack big time on privacy. Telegram is new app just came out of beta but still has some bugs even me I don't have many friends on Telegram. Not a big fan of BBM. Line is good call quality and messaging but it packs with stickers etc that I really don't like and its makes Line app heavy. Viber is going down since they are focusing on messaging nowadays and the app is more more heavy of the system.

Glad my Family(I mean my Parents and Siblings) is not Viber either, But they LOVE WhatsApp, I dont how am going to convince them to stay away or even get the hook off WhatsApp, (Already started yesterday by deleting my account) and move to Telegram maybe. Maybe we should try and preach about Telegram. NSA, Dont wanna live as ... Our Privacy is at stake ...

And you think your privacy is more secure when your data is stored in Russia, a country run by a former KGB agent?

Now , Facebook + Whatsapp = Integrated Spyware System :s

@ffi not specifically but what you we do? it's better to be told the truth than to be lied day in and day out.