Windows RT 8.1 pulled from the Windows Store

geeteam

Microsoft has pulled the Windows RT 8.1 update from the Windows store investigating a situation affecting 'a limited number of users' updating their Windows RT devices, which is a big move for Microsoft. The exact issue has not been revealed but for Microsoft to pull the update means that the issue must be quite serious.

7_snag-0003.jpg

Microsoft states the following when asked by a user as to why the update was not in the store.

"Windows RT 8.1. Microsoft is investigating a situation affecting a limited number of users updating their Windows RT devices to Windows RT 8.1. As a result, we have temporarily removed the Windows RT 8.1 update from the Windows Store. We are working to resolve the situation as quickly as possible and apologize for any inconvenience. We will provide updates as they become available."

• Replies 28
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geeteam

• mray88

• tezza

• demoneye

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it took me 2 days to get the update right, updated "successfully" like 6 times but with problems at boot, and recived so many times an error in W Store when installing it.

Edited by AlexCross

Well, it took me 2 days to get the update right, updated "successfully" like 6 times but with problems at boot, and recived so many times an error in W Store when installing it.

Did u report it AlexCross?

Still have not been able to successfully update to 8.1. It's really problematic when it would be simpler to find and install a pirated copy of Win 7, then it is to update this Win 8 bullcrap. Really!

Maybe not the best thread to ask, but I'm finding I have about 5 gb of garbage on my machine that wasn't there before, after attempting this wonderful update to 8.1. Does anyone know precisely what folders are safe to delete following these failed efforts at upgrading? I have some idea based on the time and date of various files, but after several failed update attempts I'm concerned about deleting something that will wreak even more havoc on my 'puter.

I am so fed up with Win 8, I can't even begin to describe it. :mad2:

Still have not been able to successfully update to 8.1. It's really problematic when it would be simpler to find and install a pirated copy of Win 7, then it is to update this Win 8 bullcrap. Really!

Maybe not the best thread to ask, but I'm finding I have about 5 gb of garbage on my machine that wasn't there before, after attempting this wonderful update to 8.1. Does anyone know precisely what folders are safe to delete following these failed efforts at upgrading? I have some idea based on the time and date of various files, but after several failed update attempts I'm concerned about deleting something that will wreak even more havoc on my 'puter.

I don't what files you're talking about but i think they are back up files. you can use disk cleanup feature to clean up those files or any disk clean up software of your choice. As u mentioned that you don't know where those files are came from, just do a clean up and defragment.

Ha! I knew given the various Windows Update failures of late that it was a good idea to hold off on updating my Surface RT and Pro till a few weeks had passed. Sending a bricked tablet back and waiting ages for a wiped or worse refurbished piece is not acceptable, so I'm mighty glad I let others do the beta testing for me. :D

Ha! I knew given the various Windows Update failures of late that it was a good idea to hold off on updating my Surface RT and Pro till a few weeks had passed. Sending a bricked tablet back and waiting ages for a wiped or worse refurbished piece is not acceptable, so I'm mighty glad I let others do the beta testing for me. :D

Quick decision mate

I don't what files you're talking about but i think they are back up files. you can use disk cleanup feature to clean up those files or any disk clean up software of your choice. As u mentioned that you don't know where those files are came from, just do a clean up and defragment.

Thanks for your response, but it doesn't seem to work that way. I tried ccleaner, but it still leaves all this junk from the failed update attempt. Like I said, I don't want to make things even worse related to the 8.1 update then they already seem by deleting stuff it turns out was necessary. It appears to be about 4-5 gb of downloads related to the upgrade. If anyone knows the specific files that can be deleted, I would appreciate it. thanks.

Thanks for your response, but it doesn't seem to work that way. I tried ccleaner, but it still leaves all this junk from the failed update attempt. Like I said, I don't want to make things even worse related to the 8.1 update then they already seem by deleting stuff it turns out was necessary. It appears to be about 4-5 gb of downloads related to the upgrade. If anyone knows the specific files that can be deleted, I would appreciate it. thanks.

Windows always create backup files whenever you're updating or upgrading. You will only need those files when you want to restore back to the previous version. using disk clean up in windows will allow to specify the most important files and the ones that are safe for deleting. just right click on your on your windows drive, properties and disk clean up. it will analysis the files and you will note the difference.

Windows always create backup files whenever you're updating or upgrading. You will only need those files when you want to restore back to the previous version. using disk clean up in windows will allow to specify the most important files and the ones that are safe for deleting. just right click on your on your windows drive, properties and disk clean up. it will analysis the files and you will note the difference.

thanks again, but NO, that doesn't accomplish resolving the problem. Disk Cleanup identifies 2 mb that can be deleted, I'm talking about 5 gb of files that don't belong and weren't there prior to attempting to perform the 8.1 update multiple times. The files in question (or at least most of them) appear to be in the "$Windows.~BT" folder on the "C" drive, but aren't labeled as temp files. Yet another smooth element of being forced to do this update through friggin Windows Store!!!!! Like they haven't had enough problems with Win 8???

thanks again, but NO, that doesn't accomplish resolving the problem. Disk Cleanup identifies 2 mb that can be deleted, I'm talking about 5 gb of files that don't belong and weren't there prior to attempting to perform the 8.1 update multiple times. The files in question (or at least most of them) appear to be in the "$Windows.~BT" folder on the "C" drive, but aren't labeled as temp files. Yet another smooth element of being forced to do this update through friggin Windows Store!!!!! Like they haven't had enough problems with Win 8???

OKAY! Mate well i dont know for you but disk cleaner works for me anytime i want to clean backup files. I suggest you wait for help from other experience members. they might help.

I think they should just pull/remove all the Windows 8.1 Upgrades on the Store... since many users are having issues upgrading to it anyways... shit aint workin flawlessly like it should!

This is why using the standalone DVD is a waaaaaay better choice to upgrade... never heard any issues by using this method :D

I think they should just pull/remove all the Windows 8.1 Upgrades on the Store... since many users are having issues upgrading to it anyways... shit aint workin flawlessly like it should!

This is why using the standalone DVD is a waaaaaay better choice to upgrade... never heard any issues by using this method :D

Yeah! exactly but MS is not providing any standalone iso's for windows 8.1, lets wait till the weeks ahead!

of course B)

Yeah! exactly but MS is not providing any standalone iso's for windows 8.1, lets wait till the weeks ahead!

MS ISO http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

And exactly same ISO you get from MS is available here http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/184689-windows-81-rtm-all-edition-available-languages-updated-list/

And exactly same ISO you get from MS is available here http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/184689-windows-81-rtm-all-edition-available-languages-updated-list/

WoW! That was fast! :D :D :D iLOVE THIS GUYZ! Nsaners work

So @tezza what do you suggest to @mray88

WoW! That was fast! :D :D :D iLOVE THIS GUYZ! Nsaners work

About the MS link how do i get the iso file?

its better to use the burned DVD contain w8.1 from WzR (eg MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.RTM.X64.ENGLISH.DVD-WZT) and install over top than d/l it from MS and than let it install... so no key need and crap :)

Edited by demoneye

its better to use the burned DVD contain w8.1 from WzR (eg MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.RTM.X64.ENGLISH.DVD-WZT) and install over top than d/l it from MS and than let it install... so no key need and crap :)

WZOR ISO If installing over the top, you will just need to use the generic install key , from ra1ns topic and then use an activation key when finished. :D

Even MS ISO is giving people problems :lol: , but no problems with WZOR

Edited by tezza

WZOR ISO If installing over the top, you will just need to use the generic install key , from ra1ns topic and then use an activation key when finished. :D

Yeah thats simple...!!! ^_^

Sad Microsoft's direct source Win RT 8.1 update is giving Blue screen of death in this day and age of absolute R&D, tonnes of BETAs before RTM.

This should be their lowest ebb if Microsoft is targeting the Tablet frenzy market.

Anyway with WZOR download when you unlock editions into AIO iso it requires no key to for installation till activation thanks this should not be a problem here.

Thanks to November_Rain and all who helps with resources. At the moment I think WZOR source is the way forward if one is bent on Windows 8.1 update

Dont Update from Store; Do A Clean Install SIMPLE!!!