Brazil to legalize filesharing!

ano

Angered by subsidies to U.S. cotton growers, Brazilian lawmakers said Thursday that they were considering suspending the intellectual property rights of American products in their country if the U.S. government did not explain how it intended to change subsidy programs by July 1.

The deadline was set earlier this year by the World Trade Organization, which found that U.S. assistance to cotton farmers distorted world prices by encouraging overproduction. If implemented, Brazil's plan would negatively affect a range of U.S. industries including entertainment, software and pharmaceuticals.

"Essentially, the Brazilian position would be, 'We're going to have state-sanctioned piracy,'" said Neil Turkewitz, an executive vice president of the Recording Industry Assn. of America, the music industry's largest trade and lobbying group.

Go Brazil!

They will probably make file-sharing legal to fight the USA sanctions!

Great article, read the full article here:http://www.wisertrade.org/home/index.jsp?content=/news/2005061001.jsp

• Replies 25
  • Views 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go Brazil!

They will probably make file-sharing legal to fight the USA sanctions!

Great article, read the full article here:http://www.wisertrade.org/home/index.jsp?content=/news/2005061001.jsp

they cant do that. this is a wto thing. not intellectual property rights. they can only bring a case to wto and make sanctions on usa products that come into their nation. they can not attack I P rights.

brazil grows cotton?? if they are growing cotton on that poor soil something is wrong. do they even make cloths? i know some cerntral america countries do. but that is going to all end now that usa has no quota on the amount of clothes coming from china. (no quota hurts everybody but chinese makers)

This news article is 5 months old has anything happened since the July deadline??

That site didnt report any follow ups, just curious.

This news article is 5 months old has anything happened since the July deadline??

i thought some countries go day month year instead? like usa military.

i miss that one on the date.

not much on it. i found this article

The Brazilian government is part of a group of developing nations that is opposing the harmonization agenda of the US, Japan and some European countries [see this prior PTP post]. Further, a Brazilian representative registered his “non-association” with a statement issued at the close of the recent WIPO-sponsored harmonization/development meeting in Morocco (an invite-only meeting for which most invitees were developed nations). Last week the Brazilian government asked Merck, Abbot Laboratories, and Gilead Sciences for permission to copy four AIDS drugs it includes in a free cocktail it gives to Brazilian residents, a move viewed by many as a step toward invoking a compulsory license on the relevant patents.

also found on a 1999 story. this is about india and brazil wanting to make the aids drugs themselves and selling it. this has been the main goal and using any excuse to get it.

when they threaten usa copy ip rights it was to get the compan ies to presure usa government and get money donated to brazil. nothing like free aids money from foolish governments and un. late 90's most aids money was stolen as usually by 3rd world nations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Last Updated: 06/10/2005 10:37 AM" = 06 october 2005

Here are two more links on the subject:

http://www.wtothailand.or.th/hot_issues.php?trans_id=3037

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...2501553_pf.html

If some Swede is reading check out this link: http://piratbyran.org/

Last year WTO gave Brazil right that USA must stop their sanctions, but USA did not stop, so now Brazil considers "legal revenge" (according to WTO's rules countries may use legal revenge) on USA for their sanctions on their cotton industry.

They (Brazil) will perhaps legalize downloading of copyrighted material as a sanction to USA, believe whatever you want, but this is a big (and true) story in my country (not brazil).

"Landet tänker nu tillåta storskalig kopiering av amerikanska filmer, patenterade läkemedel och annat som normalt är föremål för amerikanska företags monopolrättigheter."

Translation: The country will now allow wide copying of american movies, patented medicals, and other that is subject of american monopoly-rights. (Sorry for my not-too-good translation)

"Last Updated: 06/10/2005 10:37 AM" = 06 october 2005

Here are two more links on the subject:

http://www.wtothailand.or.th/hot_issues.php?trans_id=3037

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...2501553_pf.html

If some Swede is reading check out this link: http://piratbyran.org/

Last year WTO gave Brazil right that USA must stop their sanctions, but USA did not stop, so now Brazil considers "legal revenge" (according to WTO's rules countries may use legal revenge) on USA for their sanctions on their cotton industry.

They (Brazil) will perhaps legalize downloading of copyrighted material as a sanction to USA, believe whatever you want, but this is a big (and true) story in my country (not brazil).

"Landet tänker nu tillåta storskalig kopiering av amerikanska filmer, patenterade läkemedel och annat som normalt är föremål för amerikanska företags monopolrättigheter."

Translation: The country will now allow wide copying of american movies, patented medicals, and other that is subject of american monopoly-rights. (Sorry for my not-too-good translation)

countries that sign that world wide coyright bs in late 90's cant. that would be most of the un.

its not about file sharing. brazil was trying to get the movie and music companies to force american government and the movie and music to give them more hiv/aids money. its about stealing aids drugs and making it themselves and selling it to 3rd world nations. cotton was just another piss poor excuse to use on their quest to steal aids drugs. they and india have been trying it for at least 1999. thats their plan. there is not going to be a file sharing haven in brazil. do them even grow cotton in their piss poor soil of theirs? (this is a fact. their soil is piss poor because of the amazon forest. they cant farm a plot of land there for but a couple years if that. afterwards nothing grows ever again. not even the forest. you can see it in sat photos) even if they grew cotton it would not be of much to talk about. if they really wanted to complain about cotton they would go after china.

now for swede. i think they still have a law allowing backwards engining of stuff. but not worded against america. russia allows backwards engining to i think. germany use too but not now. nethland file sharing is in quesiton. its legal but they are suing everyone to death now.

okay the problem is the Byrd Amendment. this freaken hateful racist democrat former kkk member is behind this. until the gop get 60 seats nothing is going to change. what it says and does was the tariffs on products coming over would be given to the companies in the usa that make same products. now when certrain countries stop having national supported companies then it will be gotten rid of he (byrd said) ei france and airbus was one of them. foreign nations didnt mine about a tariff on their illegal supported national supported products but they complain when the tariff went to the american companies of similar products. its a interesting law and until we can get rid of it we have to enforce it. it is outside of the wto rules and nafta. the tariffs where legal but they just dont like that it goes to the companies instead of the usa government. ei the wto whats the usa to change its tax system. now, bush and the group of dem/gop setup to look into a new simpler tax system for the last year. if its pass it would void Byrd Amendment.

btw i had thought they where going to get rid of the Byrd Amendment last year. looks like they didnt. democrats block it.

@apcmiller Ok, I was wrong, that post was in June. The reason I said october was that I saw this article (http://www.wtothailand.or.th/hot_issues.php?trans_id=3037), which is associated to the the orig article. And the date there says 7 October!?! Strange, isn't it?

"Brazil yesterday formally asked the World Trade Organization to

authorize its request to impose over $1 billion in retaliation..."

"Wednesday, October 26, 2005; D06" is the date of the Washington post article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/25/AR2005102501553_pf.html)

So probably it is two news associated :-)

Guest Globalist

Either way, we'll see alot of 'traffic' on Brazilian servers, in time :D.

Let's hope they're not as poor as Palastinian ones :D.

It just won't happen. Not enough rights and not enough persuation power for the USA to agree this this condition, no point in expecting legal piracy servers as of yet.

It just won't happen
- Pessimist there :o
Not enough rights and not enough persuation power for the USA to agree this this condition

Brazil won't care about what USA says, they're doing re-sanctions.

- USA's words isn't law! :o

this is nothing to do with file sharing. its all about hiv/aids drugs that they want to steal, make and sell themselves. thats it.

• Administrator

Stealing is such a strong word. Borrowing is a better word to use.

I'll put it to you this way: Aren't humans supposed to help each other? Shouldnt the money hungry people who make the drugs help other man with lets say a slightly reduced cost? Naa... it doesnt happen. Blame MONEY - very bad thing.

Also... why should ONE country decide how to run another (well not exactly run.... but kinda create laws)? Would you like it if i told you (and the other US citiizens) you cannot access a product because i made it? You would complain... correct? All Brazil wants is freedom in the

They develop there own stuff - there companies make money.... develop new drugs so mankind stays healthier for longer. Win win sitiuation? Or would you rather one company have all the wealth and everyone else nothing?

Also that article IS BIASED, towards the US that is. Everyone thoughts ALWAYS go into there ideas and thoughts and of course they want to seem like the US way is correct - the Political views.

Brazil would need to atleast have a grant of USA for providing an illegal internet environment, if not I suppose re-sanctions would have to occur but then, like all major cities being a possible free piracy zone, that would make great concern for the rest of the World.

@Lite: You're so damn right in your post (thanks)!!!

- Is the creator of the guns responsible for murder?

- Is the creator of P2P appz responsible for sharing "illegal content"?

Owns the inventor of the piano all music with piano in it? - He damn right produced the original piano sound!

Brazil would need to atleast have a grant of USA for providing an illegal internet environment, if not I suppose re-sanctions would have to occur but then, like all major cities being a possible free piracy zone, that would make great concern for the rest of the World.

I disagree, a country should be able to do what they want. THe world isnt owned by the U.S.A.

THe U.S.A. is trying to bully Brazil

Good point. A good plan to follow, if I was in the boots of a fellow Brazilian Commisioner, run through the Internet. FTP's could be uploaded to, servers be uploaded and downloaded to and from legally.

All would be great. No stopping most of them anyway.

BBC News

"Taiwan to ignore flu drug patent" - As Lite said, why not help each other?

From BBC news:

"We have tried our best to negotiate with Roche," Su Ih-jen told Reuters news agency.

"It means we have shown our goodwill to Roche and we appreciate their patent. But to protect our people is the utmost important thing," he said.

A generic version of the drug produced by the island's National Health Institute is said to be 99% akin to the Tamiflu produced by Roche.

Officials say they can make their version of the drug more quickly - and at a lower cost - than Roche does. "

bytheway: This news is not 6 months old :o :o

The news is great evidence of Brazil becoming more independant. Go on Brazil, hopefully some good deal will come to stance. Hope it's legal piracy!

BBC News

"Taiwan to ignore flu drug patent" - As Lite said, why not help each other?

From BBC news:

"We have tried our best to negotiate with Roche," Su Ih-jen told Reuters news agency.

"It means we have shown our goodwill to Roche and we appreciate their patent. But to protect our people is the utmost important thing," he said.

A generic version of the drug produced by the island's National Health Institute is said to be 99% akin to the Tamiflu produced by Roche.

Officials say they can make their version of the drug more quickly - and at a lower cost - than Roche does. "

bytheway: This news is not 6 months old  :o  :o

do you know of the less then 300 million flu shots each year most goes to the usa, canada and britain and some of the other european nations. the rest of the world never wants them.

flu drug patent is different from hiv/aids drugs. unless you have flu drugs already made its a bit pointless. hiv is preventable. flu is not.

• Administrator

Do you know WHY countries will not accept so called "charity" from "big" nations - these nations want MONEY or other services in response! They CLAIM to be giving them away.... but it just doesnt happen....

Hopefully, Brazil turn against the USA this being good for piracy, you could have more choice when Server Upgrading or Shopping for that matter :rolleyes:

Hopefully, Brazil turn against the USA this being good for piracy, you could have more choice when Server Upgrading or Shopping for that matter :rolleyes:

again there is not going to be piracy, its not about that. if you research the subject you will see india and brazil have been trying for (at least since 1999) to steal patents to make it themselves and sell it. this got nothing about cotton either just their latest excuse. the usa is not the only county that makes the drug. france and some of the other european ones have stack in this subject too. the main hiv test for the two hiv versions (east and west africa) plus its hyrid of the two, is a french product. (usa is mainly effect with the east version)

now on the usa side. we cant doing anything about the democrat former kkk senator bryd's amendment. until these hateful racist democrats are gone we are stuck with it. what does it do? the tariff on certain products that certain nations keep giving money to, is being redirection to the similar usa type company as a tax like break. its unusually but legal. the tarifs are also legal but the foriegn countries dont like the tax code part. wto got no business in another nations tax code anyway.

now if our president gets our tax code overhall then senator democrat byrd's amendment would be voided. or if certain countries stop the reason of the tariff in the first place on farm products.

do you know of the less then 300 million flu shots each year most goes to the usa, canada and britain and some of the other european nations. the rest of the world never wants them.

Ever heard of the new lethal bird flu? - I think the "rest of the world" wants the medicine :rolleyes:

I'll put it this way: It has nothing to do with AIDS and KKK members. The story is about Brazil re-sanctioning (read:revenge) USA for the USA cotton sanctions on Brazil. Brazil will not make file-sharing illegal in return. In Sweden file-sharing (downloading of music/movies) was actually legal until July 2005, and so it probably is right now in Brazil.

Archived