405 Million Users Still Running Windows XP

Matsuda

Windows_Xp_Pro.png

Moving users from Windows XP to a newer platform remains a pretty tough challenge for tech giant Microsoft, but the company claims that it's now seeing the first signs of success.

Even though market researchers across the world have indicated that approximately 33 percent of computer users are still running Windows XP, Microsoft suggests that this percentage is much lower.

Its own stats point to a 27 percent market share for Windows XP (which keeps it the second top OS worldwide). So according to Microsoft watcher Paul Thurrott, this means that around 405 million PCs are still powered by the aging operating system.

The company revealed these numbers in an internal meeting with employees, while also adding that it hoped that only 13 percent of the users would stick with Windows XP beyond the April 8, 2014 retirement date.

Source

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• viggen66

• Misaki2010

• MidnightDistortions

• LeeSmithG

XP good? compatible ? ahahaha don't make me laugh... seriously :) most up-to-date games that require DX10 and DX11 won't work on XP, same goes for some software! I wouldn't switch back to Windows 8 from 8.1 ... definitely can't say anything about XP and Vista. 7 was great while it lasted. But hey, that's my opinion. 8.1 is the first OS that comes will all drivers for my PC (8 came without sound drivers, 7 the same, XP with no drivers for my PC).

I guess hardcore gamers drive the market for the latest OSes.

Just a guess though as I am not one myself.

XP is fine for everything that I need.

My choice remains=> don't fix it if it ain't broke.

To me an OS is like the house foundation - I don't even want to think about it unless it gets really busted.

But that's just me.

Edited by smallhagrid

405 million pirate licenses

The only way those silly enough to still be running XP are going to move is if....well perhaps Daz should put out a tv ad for his loader :)

Still it gives malware writers an easy target, theyre like sitting ducks

Edited by stylemessiah

i dont like XP because how many virus attack, HDD smart failed, hacking account, attack internet everywhere still run windows xp wait 9 april 2014 i will go kill everyone account and i give all laser virus send files to online XP

numbers are to large because people just do not want to upgrade to a new computer every time a new OS comes out to be able to run anything newer...especially when XP is such a good one..now if it was just win95 or win3.11 as legacy options there would be no issue and most people would be running win7 or 8

MidnightDistortions

I didn't have many problems upgrading to W7, but MS will have desperate to try to get people off of XP. I went to Midas today and they had W7 desktops. Still, how many users are 2% of the W8 increase? I am looking forward to seeing how many Xp machines will last online or whether an XP apocalypse will really happen.

... perhaps Daz should put out a tv ad for his loader :)

LMFAO :lmao:

"Daz's loader - As seen on TV. Now New and Improved!" :lol:

MidnightDistortions

What is really bad is I have seen people patch 15 year old PC with $100 motherboard vs buying a refurbished Desktop PC you could get for close to $200, and keep using the worthless POS that could barely handle PCs.

One can get a PC considered to be crap by modern standards that is 10 orders of magnitude better than some XP dinosaurs still running out there.

Lol can you even replace a 15 year old motherboard? They can probably use the same case with a modern board and processor depending on the type. You can get a far better motherboard for the same price, i think mine was around $139 with 3.0 USB and E-Sata back in 2012. Anyway i am not one to judge other people if they want to try to get a 15 year old system to work again instead of just replacing it, whatever. I don't think they would be getting their money's worth.

XP good? compatible ? ahahaha don't make me laugh... seriously :) most up-to-date games that require DX10 and DX11 won't work on XP, same goes for some software! I wouldn't switch back to Windows 8 from 8.1 ... definitely can't say anything about XP and Vista. 7 was great while it lasted. But hey, that's my opinion. 8.1 is the first OS that comes will all drivers for my PC (8 came without sound drivers, 7 the same, XP with no drivers for my PC).

I can't believe what people are saying. Do you read and understand what you write? Of course all drivers are installed with 8.1 since your computer is already old. Same thing is with XP, 7, and so on. My computer has all drivers installed with 7. Guess why? Because it's old. And 7 is great and will last, and I don't see people ditching it any time soon. And if drivers are your reason for changing OS, than you don't have any idea what you want from OS.

Cheers ;)

mara- how do you know that my PC is old? :) You can't know that because I haven't mentioned what my hardware specifications are ;) and it's not only the drivers, it's mostly everything... you can't even compare Windows 7 or Windows 8 vs. XP... XP is too outdated. It lacks too many features and it's too slow. Even the install process takes almost 1 hour on a high-end PC. That's not everything. The UI looks bad, the icons look like it's 1998. You could pay me 1 million dollars and I wouldn't switch back to XP :| I just couldn't live with it. That's MY opinion, if you don't like it get used to it!

Edited by Misaki2010

Even though XP doesn't support Directx 10 and 11, it can still play all the games, I myself have already tried Crysis 2 on a XP machine, and no problems, so no big issue here, it's not the matter of having old hardware, but the fact people feel comfortable with xp, and if everything works, stick with it.

viggen66 - try Crysis 3, it doesn't work... try Battlefield 4 Alpha/beta, it doesn't work because it needs DX10 minimum and a 64-bit OS.

You can say that for newer games but I bet with you that older games run great on XP and aren't playable on Windows 8.1, so no point on that, in what concerns games I rather play on a dedicated system like an xbox or playstation, but if you thing on a business environment it's the most compatible system ever created.

Freddy Anderson

There's a reason why this happens XP is still a very good operating system and the most compatible with everything

MS no longer wants to support it... therefore, its better to switch to a newer modern version of Windows, there are loads of risks involved using XP after April 8....

mara- how do you know that my PC is old? :) You can't know that because I haven't mentioned what my hardware specifications are ;) and it's not only the drivers, it's mostly everything... you can't even compare Windows 7 or Windows 8 vs. XP... XP is too outdated. It lacks too many features and it's too slow. Even the install process takes almost 1 hour on a high-end PC. That's not everything. The UI looks bad, the icons look like it's 1998. You could pay me 1 million dollars and I wouldn't switch back to XP :| I just couldn't live with it. That's MY opinion, if you don't like it get used to it!

I was not talking about switching to XP. I was just talking about your drivers point. Yes, your hardware is old in compare with Windows 8.1 since it's the latest stuff and has all drivers for the current hardware.

Cheers ;)

I've tried a lot of old games on 8.1 and they worked. Two games didn't work for me... and they're actually new... but because I used the cracked version and they're not cracked for 8.1 (SimCity and State of Decay). State of Decay has the same problem for some users of Windows 7 as well so... it's not a 8.1 issue.

I have some which aren't compatible at all, and one thing I have notice, for those who are worried about the updates, from every month which I haven't yet got the updates from the following month, I should be vulnerable, as per example, as Microsoft is about to release new updates on 8th October my system should be vulnerable until next week, but that's nonsense, sometimes the updates only makes you a psychological feeling of being secure, because nothing happens, I will not get attacked now, and being safe next week, or kind of propaganda is this?

Then for this kind of thinking I shouldn’t even turn on my computer until October’s updates, or never turn on at all, waiting until next month’s fixes