How to get the Windows product key without using third party software

shamu726

If you lost, cannot retrieve or forgot where you had stored the product key of your Windows 8.1, Windows 8 or Windows 7 OS, do not despair. I would like to show you a simple solution to extract your product key from the OS installed on your PC without using any third party software.

1. Open Notepad.
2. Copy and paste the following text into the notepad window.

function Get-WindowsKey {    ## function to retrieve the Windows Product Key from any PC    ## by Jakob Bindslet ([email protected])    param ($targets = ".")    $hklm = 2147483650    $regPath = "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion"    $regValue = "DigitalProductId"    Foreach ($target in $targets) {        $productKey = $null        $win32os = $null        $wmi = [WMIClass]"\\$target\root\default:stdRegProv"        $data = $wmi.GetBinaryValue($hklm,$regPath,$regValue)        $binArray = ($data.uValue)[52..66]        $charsArray = "B","C","D","F","G","H","J","K","M","P","Q","R","T","V","W","X","Y","2","3","4","6","7","8","9"        ## decrypt base24 encoded binary data        For ($i = 24; $i -ge 0; $i--) {            $k = 0            For ($j = 14; $j -ge 0; $j--) {                $k = $k * 256 -bxor $binArray[$j]                $binArray[$j] = [math]::truncate($k / 24)                $k = $k % 24            }            $productKey = $charsArray[$k] + $productKey            If (($i % 5 -eq 0) -and ($i -ne 0)) {                $productKey = "-" + $productKey            }        }        $win32os = Get-WmiObject Win32_OperatingSystem -computer $target        $obj = New-Object Object        $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty Computer -value $target        $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty Caption -value $win32os.Caption        $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty CSDVersion -value $win32os.CSDVersion        $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty OSArch -value $win32os.OSArchitecture        $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty BuildNumber -value $win32os.BuildNumber        $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty RegisteredTo -value $win32os.RegisteredUser        $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty ProductID -value $win32os.SerialNumber        $obj | Add-Member Noteproperty ProductKey -value $productkey        $obj    }}

3. Save the text above into a file with the ".ps1" extension on the Desktop.
Bonus tip: To make sure that you saving the file with the ".ps1" extension, you can type its name with double quotes, for example, "GetProductKey.ps1".

getproductkeyps1-600x448.png

4. Open the Powershell console as administrator by typing "powershell" in the search box of the Start Menu or right on the Start Screen and then press CTRL+SHIFT+Enter (or just right-click and select "Run as administrator"). This will open the elevated Powershell window.

5. Enable the execution of local files which are not digitally signed. This can be done with the following command:

Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Press Enter to allow the execution policy to be changed.

Windows-PowerShell-600x439.png

6. Now you should type the following command:

Import-Module C:\Users\Winaero\Desktop\GetProductKey.ps1; Get-WindowsKey

Note: Change the path to the GetProductKey.ps1 file in the command above, according to the location where you saved it.

7. Voila, you product key is displayed on the screen!

GetProductKey-600x441.png

See the following video if you have any questions:

Source: Winaero

Edited by shamu726

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shamu726

• Matsuda

Popular Days