XP Defrag program doesnt work

vin3e

I dont know when or how it happened, but it stopped working.

The programs starts but does not respond to any command i give it to do, ie analyze or defrag.

I think it has something to do with my previous installation of other defrag programs such as diskeeper or o&o defrag. They both asked if i wanted them to become my default, both were not installed at same time obviously. I uninstalled them because i thought i could just simly live with the default one but it stopped working.

Another reason is, the program i used, use to give me errors. I forgot which ones, but it couldnt find the harddrive.

Any ideas how i can ficx the defrag? Or can someone recommend a defrag that improves speed and performance, i dont need a complicated program asking me for every detail, i just need a small low ram usage program which has a "defragment now" button, without all the fuss.

• Replies 32
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o&o wouldn't install on my pc?!?!?

Did you try installing the wrong OS type? They have different versions for different OS.

on a side note. which windows are you running and which if any service pack? ei xp sp1 or xp sp2. sp1 needed 2 sp2 files patches for harddrives over 137 gb still. and there was a sp1 problem with having 1 gb of ram. just some after thoughts anyway. you did close everything down before trying to defrag?

Well i guess i'll go back to O&O then.

Im XP, SP2.

Defreg doesnt work at all. Only opens up.

Nsane got any defraggers?

• Administrator

What error does it give, or no error message? Do you have any scan disk taks waiting to be executes? Running as an adminstrator?

missing reg files? :)

It opens fine, you see all the options, analyze, defrag. But thats all it is, When you press defrag, the button go down and all, but nothing actually happens.

Im not sure if it has something tod ow tih the registry files :) No errors btw. Just doesnt respond to any buttons i press. Like a dead duck.

It opens fine, you see all the options, analyze, defrag. But thats all it is, When you press defrag, the button go down and all, but nothing actually happens.

Im not sure if it has something tod ow tih the registry files :) No errors btw. Just doesnt respond to any buttons i press. Like a dead duck.

for the heck of it try restore option. take it back a month

• Administrator

New suggestion, i cannot beleive it didnt come to me before :(

Do a repair installation of Windows. Should fix this (and most of the other problems you have... if any) within windows.

New suggestion, i cannot beleive it didnt come to me before :(

Do a repair installation of Windows. Should fix this (and most of the other problems you have... if any) within windows.

question. have you ever use/done that ? just want to know how you thought of windows repair installation went? btw doesnt that mean he has to have the win xp disk? a lot of computers from dell and hp etc dont come with win xp disk. but a restore disk or backup on partation drive.

• Administrator

I've done it on a few PC's before, why? Works fine both from experiance and other peoples feedback.

vin3e, has stated before he's got a custom built PC. (if i remember correctly). Anywho... those repair disks are generally just slightly modified XP installation CD's.

I've done it on a few PC's before, why? Works fine both from experiance and other peoples feedback.

vin3e, has stated before he's got a custom built PC. (if i remember correctly). Anywho... those repair disks are generally just slightly modified XP installation CD's.

i ask because i never done it. i prefer not to be at a point of having to do it.

you have to reinstall 3rd party stuff afterwards?

• Administrator

Nope. All your apps etc are still present. Thats the idea behind it - to REPAIR your existing system.

• Administrator

Ask uncle nicely.. i'm sure he'll give you a CD?

If he won't or your too scared to ask him....

I dunno if this will work... but you can give it a go.... download the admin version of WinXP SP2 (of course directly off the microsoft website) and install that.

Ask uncle nicely.. i'm sure he'll give you a CD?

If he won't or your too scared to ask him....

I dunno if this will work... but you can give it a go.... download the admin version of WinXP SP2 (of course directly off the microsoft website) and install that.

ms will send you a free copy of sp2 package in the mail. less then 2 weeks

could take it to your local isp provider (mom and pap store) they fix it for $20. might even let you use a win xp oem without tthe key for a day. could get a backup (which would be legal) in a newsgroup.

lite wouldnt his problem be a window reg key mess up from a crash or lockup ?

• Administrator

You have two types of computer stores in the UK; Pc World or a local store. Its hard to find a good local store and PC World is full of idiots.

Your key won't be changed with a repair installation.

Archived