PC Shuts down when playing Source Games

insanedown58

insanedown58

My PC used to play these games spick and span when I had it but now it seems to crash my PC.

Games:

Half Life 2

Black Mesa (Half Life Remake)

Here's my PC:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

AMD A4-5300

4 GB of RAM

A few pictures from CYRI (Can You Run It)

Black Mesa

xo04fq.png

msc8x.png

Half-Life 2

chsw7.png

2e0tkc9.png

• Replies 37
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

I suspect 2 possible suspects.

- Check CPU and GPU temp when you play games.

- But I think main problem is power supply unit that cannot give enough amperes on 12 volt line to videocard.

insanedown58

Hi

- But I think main problem is power supply unit that cannot give enough amperes on 12 volt line to videocard.

What tools can I use? Also I'd like to add that Left 4 Dead which uses the Left 4 Dead Source base (2009) works like a charm regardless of the mode I am using.

It feels like thermal issue. Check the thermal readings and also check your cooling gears whether they are working fine or not. The validity of the thermal paste may be expired, in that case you will need to apply new paste.

Hi

What tools can I use? Also I'd like to add that Left 4 Dead which uses the Left 4 Dead Source base (2009) works like a charm regardless of the mode I am using.

You can use Core Temp for monitoring CPU temperature and GPU Z (with ASUS ROG skin :rolleyes: ) for GPU temperature.

insanedown58

It feels like thermal issue. Check the thermal readings and also check your cooling gears whether they are working fine or not. The validity of the thermal paste may be expired, in that case you will need to apply new paste.

Hmm.. the guy who assembled this used the stock thermal paste that came with the APU. Its only been 5 Months.

insanedown58

What's the usual or what's the appropriate temperature for GPU and CPU?

At normal usage below 500C for desktop PCs and at peak loads should not exceed 900C.

Hmm.. the guy who assembled this used the stock thermal paste that came with the APU. Its only been 5 Months.

Thermal paste expires in 2 years.

insanedown58

At normal usage below 500C for desktop PCs and at peak loads should not exceed 900C.

Here's what I got, the GPU at maximum power rose up to 97 degrees Celsius (yes I can't do the symbols :( ) and the CPU went up to 80.

insanedown58

Looks like GPU problem! 97°C is to much. When i play games my GPU max go to 70°C.

But, the GPU is IN the CPU? What do I do now?

Then the system isn't adequate for high graphics gaming.

I'm not sure about

Looks like GPU problem! 97°C is to much. When i play games my GPU max go to 70°C.

I don't understand this... the GPU is IN the CPU. The CPU is attached to the main board but GPU can be integrated in the main board or attached in a VGA CARD.

I agree with OveR 97ºC is very high. Be sure the fans are working properly. Time a go I've several hangs with my system and finally I discover that the fan attached to the VGA CARD was burned. Then I replaced it and it's working until today. A monitoring app can help you with this.

BTW: I played HL2 in a system with less spec than yours (less CPU, less RAM, less GPU) without problems.

I hope this may help you.

I think the system IS adequate. My system have lower specs and can run this game without hangs. The problem is "something" puts it's GPU at high temp. If the systems haven't enough ventilation then the problem appeared with playing videos, for example and it seems this is not happen.

Best regards...

Are all your fans working? Make sure to clean out all the dust and gunk. Sounds like over heating, that will just shut off the pc.

I think the system IS adequate. My system have lower specs and can run this game without hangs. The problem is "something" puts it's GPU at high temp. If the systems haven't enough ventilation then the problem appeared with playing videos, for example and it seems this is not happen.

Best regards...

Do you have an APU too?

Those temperatures are very high. I'm not sure for your GPU, but for mine can go to 104°C max, and generality GPU can go hotter then CPU, but I would still check it out. I never sow my card near 90C. And the CPU is definitely high. It's should not go over 70. Fox example, my E8400 max temp is 72.4°C, so 80 is to much, and you're risking damaging your CPU. Check you fans for dust, and clean it thoroughly.

Cheers ;)

My advise, buy a better CPU cooler (like Zalman CNPS 9900 Max if it fits in you PC case and better thermal paste like Artic Silver 5).

First remove old thermal paste with a cloth and some ether and then re-apply a rice grain of Artic Silver 5 on the CPU and with a credit card spread it over the CPU so it's even thin.

jimbojet2011

Bench the system with OCCT

http://www.ocbase.com/

If this runs fine for an hour you will be ok

There;s a littele bug @ the CPUTIN just disable otherwise you get a value of 127 oC

;-)

• Administrator

For start, just try cleaning the PC and removing dust from it, including the CPU fans. Then see if it solves the problem.

insanedown58

For start, just try cleaning the PC and removing dust from it, including the CPU fans. Then see if it solves the problem.

I did. All I got was a speck of dust in the fans, nothing more.

insanedown58

Bench the system with OCCT

http://www.ocbase.com/

If this runs fine for an hour you will be ok

There;s a littele bug @ the CPUTIN just disable otherwise you get a value of 127 oC

;-)

Did that. Both the GPU and the CPU lasted an hour with the GPU lasting 1 hr. 15 mins.

Alright. Now you need to monitor your CPU uses when the system runs on fire. You can get the CPU uses by respective program in the Task manager. Look for the programs that uses the CPU more and post a screenshot (when your system is heating up) here too.

Are you sure, your system isn't infected?

You are running a repacked game - did you scanned it for infections before installing?

What are your temperature readings while watching a full HD video without enabling GPU acceleration? Disable the GPU/hardware acceleration in your media player to run this test.

Archived