smallhagrid

smallhagrid

At my house we've been using EAV for years - sometimes free by way of Tnod, Minod, Box-Mara, Purplebeanz fix - etc; and sometimes paid when it's been on a really cheap special and I get sick of re-fixing it and the hassles of doing that with family members.

I've got a spouse who doesn't want me touching her laptop and teenage kids who do not want me in their (disgusting) rooms or touching their super-secret PCs.

What I'd like to find is a way to get all of them updated in a way that I only ever have to touch their PCs each ONE time and have it lasting pretty much forever.

All the fixes I can find cannot do this.

Tnod's creds and other fixes only last a short time then they expire or just quit working.

(Box-Mara seems to work great - but also expires every few weeks and has to be undone/redone.)

Nod Update viewer claims to make a mirror server as long as you have working creds for 1 PC - but it is a Russian app and I wasted a bunch of my free time trying to make it work with zero success.

(The author is not interested in helping non-Russian folks either; I emailed him.)

Eset Endpoint AV seems made for what I need - but all the posts here about fixes seem quite uncertain as to what works to fix it and it also requires it's Remote Admin add-on which nobody seems to have or share or fix.

I don't want to change AV to something other than Eset and radical changes like having to get newer PCs and/or OS's are also not happening here.

Please - is there some way to get EAV or a EEAV working in a shared situation and to keep it working a long time without having to touch it ?!?

Thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never had any problems with getting updates after using MaraBox... are u sure u are properly letting it monitor the install of ESET and doing what it says?

Sometimes you have to manually restart ESET for it to do the final steps on applying fixes

Box Mara 1.7 works fine.

With Box Mara 1.5, the fix was sometimes detected by other anti-malware software and removed, but was easely fixed by re-installing the Box Mara fix.

Why don't you buy an official license for Eset Antivirus?

I buy it always for the maximum years (3 years) because you get a better price and for 1 computer.

But I use it on my computers (4 computers) and some friends of mine and so we split the bill.

If you don't go over 10 pc's with one Eset license, Eset will leave you alone.

If I were you, I wouldn't even bother with ESET and applying fixes. You have no guarantee ESET will continue receiving updates after applying one of the available fixes. I've heard numerous horror stories of people using trial fixes only to have updates stop, be unaware of this fact, and get infected by malware because the virus definitions are a year old. When it comes to the security of one's computer, these kinds of stories highlight how it's best not to introduce more variables that can affect security. Likewise, those computers with ESET and patches also won't receive the major program updates (e.g. ESET v6 to ESET v7) that would have to be installed manually.

Most antivirus programs are essentially the same, so I would just install a free antivirus on those computers and never look back. Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender on Windows 8 ), for example, fits your needs described above since Windows Update will automatically take care of both virus definitions and program updates.

smallhagrid

It just works, and:

I never had any problems with getting updates after using MaraBox... are u sure u are properly letting it monitor the install of ESET and doing what it says?

Sometimes you have to manually restart ESET for it to do the final steps on applying fixes

Some weeks later the updates stop and it then says the trial has run out until I un-fix it and fix it again...

I have Box-Mara 1.7 and it does -seem- to work fine until...:

Box Mara 1.7 works fine.

With Box Mara 1.5, the fix was sometimes detected by other anti-malware software and removed, but was easely fixed by re-installing the Box Mara fix.

Why don't you buy an official license for Eset Antivirus?

I buy it always for the maximum years (3 years) because you get a better price and for 1 computer.

But I use it on my computers (4 computers) and some friends of mine and so we split the bill.

If you don't go over 10 pc's with one Eset license, Eset will leave you alone.

It has stopped working and then the trial runs out - no idea why it does this.

Buy one and use it for TEN ?!? Wow, that's a twist I've not heard before !!!

Anybody else doing that without any troubles ??

Lacius:

If I were you, I wouldn't even bother with ESET and applying fixes. You have no guarantee ESET will continue receiving updates after applying one of the available fixes. I've heard numerous horror stories of people using trial fixes only to have updates stop, be unaware of this fact, and get infected by malware because the virus definitions are a year old. When it comes to the security of one's computer, these kinds of stories highlight how it's best not to introduce more variables that can affect security. Likewise, those computers with ESET and patches also won't receive the major program updates (e.g. ESET v6 to ESET v7) that would have to be installed manually.

Most antivirus programs are essentially the same, so I would just install a free antivirus on those computers and never look back. Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender on Windows 8 ), for example, fits your needs described above since Windows Update will automatically take care of both virus definitions and program updates.

I may choose a free AV instead of EAV after all - but never, never, never will I trust M$ - that's exactly the same as putting a fox in charge of a henhouse...just a bad idea from the start.

In the beginnening I used one Eset License on about 80 computers because I didn't know what the "limit" was and my license got cancelled.

Now I use it at maximum 10 computers for about 6 years and no problem with it.

Several other people I know do the same thing.

I've swiched to 'Bitdefender Free' and like it. In the beginning, you couldn't exclude files, but now you can. I'm happy so far. :D

I may choose a free AV instead of EAV after all - but never, never, never will I trust M$ - that's exactly the same as putting a fox in charge of a henhouse...just a bad idea from the start.

Microsoft Security Essentials (AKA Windows Defender on W8) is light on system resources and does more than get the job done. It probably also best addresses your need to touch each of these computers once and be satisfied they're protected indefinitely.

smallhagrid

This:

Security Essentials (AKA Windows Defender on W8) is light on system resources and does more than get the job done. It probably also best addresses your need to touch each of these computers once and be satisfied they're protected indefinitely.

Will not be on ANY PC in my care - not today, not ANY day.

I am glad it makes you happy to mention it, but to me it is like fixing an itchy foot by blowing it off with a shotgun blast.

Not something I would ever consider wanting to do.

Thanks.

• Administrator

If I were you, I wouldn't even bother with ESET and applying fixes. You have no guarantee ESET will continue receiving updates after applying one of the available fixes. I've heard numerous horror stories of people using trial fixes only to have updates stop, be unaware of this fact, and get infected by malware because the virus definitions are a year old.

No trial fixes have any problems with updating of virus definitions. Virus definitions in trial versions are maximum a day later than paid ones, and under once in year heavy load on ESET servers, it gets delayed for maximum of a 5 days. What you are saying is of modules updates, which, though I haven't checked, should not be a problem anymore if one is using the latest box, mara- fix.

@smallhagrid: In both box, mara- fix and TNOD's cases, if you follow the steps correctly, the likelihood of failure is very less. These days I'm using the giveaway license so can't say for sure for the both, but as for TNOD, you should look into it's settings, it has a lot to offer. As for box, mara- fix, it's more about case to case basis, some people don't get any problems for months, etc. and some people get in weeks. Still, it isn't a biggie I feel.

However, if I would have been in your place, I would do what Lacius suggested, free AV. But, but, not MSE, which is not worth it, instead, I'll install Avast free, set it up and forget it for a year (until it needs to be renewed after a year from different email address).

Still, if not, I suggest you set up some sort of remote controlling software for all of their PCs. :P

UnderShadow

Get avast free & install some remote control software on them

what are they hiding so much, but still need your help? smells fishy

No trial fixes have any problems with updating of virus definitions. Virus definitions in trial versions are maximum a day later than paid ones, and under once in year heavy load on ESET servers, it gets delayed for maximum of a 5 days. What you are saying is of modules updates, which, though I haven't checked, should not be a problem anymore if one is using the latest box, mara- fix.

ESET trial patches might have become more dependable since I abandoned ESET in 2011, but yes, I've witnessed trial patches completely breaking virus definition updates on just about every major version of ESET between Version 2 and Version 5. Suffice it to say, it's adding an unstable element where security is involved, and all for little to no added benefit over a free AV alternative. I refer you back to my points about manual software updates as well.

Also, I hadn't even thought to even bring up the point about trial patches on Version 5 (?) and the frankensteinian monster that resulted from various combinations of program files, virus definitions, and module updates.

There's no problem, here from the box, mara- TR - it never needs to be fixed, again (except when opting for an upgrade / update.)

mastershake

agreed if the pc's are in my house i can use or look at them when i want. if the kids dont like it they can move out.

smallhagrid

Ummm...14 & 15 y/o kids ??!:

agreed if the pc's are in my house i can use or look at them when i want. if the kids dont like it they can move out.

Sounds like a quick road to jail so I'll pass on that idea, thanks.

They are kids, and think EVERYTHING of theirs is top-secret, and are hell to get along with if THEIR space is not respected:

Get avast free & install some remote control software on them

what are they hiding so much, but still need your help? smells fishy

That is what ALL teenage kids are like unless they've been beaten down and are afraid of their parents - and they all smell fishy (on the better days when they've bathed recently) because they do stupid things and hang out with other smelly kids who rebel against bathing daily - none of this is new or specific to my house only - teenagers are difficult until they grow up a bit and must be coped with - or we older folks get to share their craziness - and I'll pass on that part, thanks !!!

@smallhagrid: In both box, mara- fix and TNOD's cases, if you follow the steps correctly, the likelihood of failure is very less. These days I'm using the giveaway license so can't say for sure for the both, but as for TNOD, you should look into it's settings, it has a lot to offer. As for box, mara- fix, it's more about case to case basis, some people don't get any problems for months, etc. and some people get in weeks. Still, it isn't a biggie I feel.

However, if I would have been in your place, I would do what Lacius suggested, free AV. But, but, not MSE, which is not worth it, instead, I'll install Avast free, set it up and forget it for a year (until it needs to be renewed after a year from different email address).

Still, if not, I suggest you set up some sort of remote controlling software for all of their PCs. :P

Sincere Thanks DKT27, a very helpful and thoughtful bit of info you've shared.

I've avoided putting in remote stuff because I'm baffled by all the different ones and flavours of VNC for example - and if they get hit with rootkits or other really bad stuff I don't want it 'jumping' across such a connection somehow ?!?

Like I said - they are just kids and do all kinds of stupid stuff just out of curiosity so I'm trying to keep them into updated AV stuff, but to mostly stay out of their kiddy-stuff so as to have a saner life for myself...

As mentioned before Tnod is great but of course needs regular updating of the user/PW on each PC (I could not figure out how to use it's 'server' release) and Box/Mara works fine for some time then quits working - I don't know why it does that.

I'll consider a free AV too=> but I was really hoping there was some super-duper way to cover all these problems in a single shot and for a really good long while AND to keep NOD32 as well.

Thanks for the great replies !!!

• Administrator

Little amusing to read. :D

I personally have never used any remote stuff and ofc it can have it's negative sides, but, I feel that a good remote software which can be enabled with a password should do fine. If such thing exists that is.

TNOD, I don't exactly remember, but a license should last 15-20 days I feel, if not more. But yes, it does require the internet. If you have a full internet connectivity, then it should be a non-issue.

I suggest you look at other AV alternatives too. Not just free, but easy to fix too.

smallhagrid

Thanks DKT27, and I ask:

I suggest you look at other AV alternatives too. Not just free, but easy to fix too.

Might you suggest which of the AV apps you are thinking of when you say 'easy to fix', please ??

Thanks.

• Administrator

Thanks DKT27, and I ask:

Might you suggest which of the AV apps you are thinking of when you say 'easy to fix', please ??

Thanks.

Avast Pro and BitDefender comes to my mind. Not sure of others.

House_maniac

if you are an advanced user you want something which is capable of keeping your pc clean and for free try comodo internet security suite,it even outperforms paid one! if you want something easy to play with try avast

@smallhagrid

I see now I made a big confusion with using same version number and just removing beta word. Please make sure you use latest version of the fix. Download it from nsane frontpage again to be sure. Also, make sure that fix reports success on applying.

Cheers ;)

smallhagrid

Hi Mara-, and thanks.

I did get it from the frontpage link and it does report success each time I re-apply it, then NOD is good for a few weeks more...

• Administrator

Avast Pro and BitDefender comes to my mind. Not sure of others.

Any opinion of Baidu AV ??

( http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/175061-baidu-launches-free-pc-maintenance-antivirus-tool/ )

Knowing and reading about Baidu's past and it's direct connection with the authorities, I'll personally avoid using it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
mastershake

you question 14 or 15?? and jail time?? i set all kids passwords in my house and if they dont like it than they dont have to use the pc's or phones etc. and as a example a very close friend found out the hard way his 14yr old was "seeing" a 36 year old she met online when she was supposed to be going to a friends house. after my friend found out about it he also found out the guy was forcing her to do things she really did not want to but she thought it was "love" until one day she was fully raped by him and got pregnant because of it. the scumbag was arrested after that because my friend had the proof via keylogger installed after finding out originally on her pc to hand over to the police. now she has zero access to online unless monitored at home and he checks daily her phones etc to see whats going on. just sad it had to come to that.

again im in no way saying this is your kids or they are not trustworthy but imo its not my kids so much im worried about online but all the other scum out there that try to find the younger kids to rope in. and didnt mean to insult at all here just wanted to share opinions and what happened to a 14 yr old that did not get monitored while online. regarding my spouse i do all the pc repair and upkeep so she uses the av i decide on :showoff: or she ends up with a non working pc once badly infected if i cant work on it she learned the hard way that one.

as far as your original question you could get a family lic for 5pc's and buy one for 2-3 years or buy multiple 1 year ones which is what i do. other than that i doubt any "fixes" will be forever permanent. tnod and stuff works sometimes and others for me it has not worked. i buy eset now instead of worrying about fixes. newegg usually has family lic packs for 5pc's for under 20$ for the year i just bought 5 this past sale they had for 19.95 each. so 5pc's are covered for the next 5 years for a total of 100$. all you would have to do is either remote connect and simply add the lic info or its easy enough they should be able to do it. i have yet to find a endpoint eset fix that works well enough yet. but using a "fix" for any av imo is not a forever fix. i have never found one that is that long lasting or does not have to be updated which is why i only use paid (or free in the case of avast, avira etc) av's.

Archived