Baidu launches free PC maintenance, antivirus tool

ande

On Tuesday, Baidu availed its antivirus software for download after running two months of public tests.
The new product was jointly launched by the Chinese company and Kaspersky,
where Baidu offers cloud computing support while Kaspersky maintains professional antivirus engine.
The software will be offered free of charge permanently, according to Baidu.

The recent product launches put the Chinese search giant in direct competition with Qihoo 360,
which currently dominates the free computer maintenance and antivirus software market in China.

Source

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
smallhagrid

Is their AV good ?

Does it slow down the user's PC ?

Is it free of unwanted side-effects (like browser hijacking, unwanted krapware installations...) ?

Is this a trustworthy source of a good AV protection ?

Opinions, please ?!?

Is their AV good ?

Is it free of unwanted side-effects (like browser hijacking, unwanted krapware installations...) ?

Opinions, please ?!?

Very good questions to ask amid all the hype, I'm curious about those too.

Is their AV good ?

Opinions, please ?!?

international version:avira eng full+its own engine+its own cloud Chinese version:kaspersky eng full+its own engine+its own cloud

You can test it by yourself.In my opinion,its good.

No unwanted changes will be made to your computer.No ads include.Tested.

Baidu av is manufactured and offered by the largest search engine provider.And most protection depends on the oem engine.The cloud i think is not as strong as 360is.If you don't like it ,you can still choose to delete it since its not a fake av and easy to uninstall.

Is their AV good ?

Opinions, please ?!?

international version:avira eng full+its own engine+its own cloud Chinese version:kaspersky eng full+its own engine+its own cloud

You can test it by yourself.In my opinion,its good.

No unwanted changes will be made to your computer.No ads include.Tested.

Baidu av is manufactured and offered by the largest search engine provider.And most protection depends on the oem engine.The cloud i think is not as strong as 360is.If you don't like it ,you can still choose to delete it since its not a fake av and easy to uninstall.

Thanks for the full and fast response :) One more question: Where can I download the international version?

I'd recommend http://360safe.com/pc.html if you're looking for an AV. It's been excellent so far in my trials.

This topic is about Baidu antivirus, not about 360safe.

Cheers.

From their web-page:

"Complete protection trusted by 450,000,000 users worldwide."

Yeah rite..

Never heard of..

smallhagrid

I'd recommend http://360safe.com/pc.html if you're looking for an AV. It's been excellent so far in my trials.

This topic is about Baidu antivirus, not about 360safe.

Cheers.

From their web-page:

"Complete protection trusted by 450,000,000 users worldwide."

Yeah rite..

Never heard of..

I looked all around at their site and it really tells almost nothing about what it offers or does.

Based upon that lack of info alone I will avoid it.

Still, very curious about Baidu...?

tried it in a virual box and here are my results:

pros

light and clean interface

very less or no updates as it is based on cloud

avira engine

cons

inspite of using avira engine missed some files which were detected by avira

hips protection/behaviour blocker not so good

detection rate is good but as usual false positives(higher than avira)

the options on malware detection needs some polishing

Sorry for taking it off topic. I just thought if someone was considering Baidu AV (They want to challenge Quihoo for users) then I would mention the number 1 security product in China.

The amount of users is correct. However they have only recently introduced an English version. With a slightly different name Qiho or something :s

You can look in the forum for more details if you want. It is getting good reports on security forums, and I like it :D 3 Engines. Bitdefender sigs, 2 cloud jobbies I think, and it stays light. It's not really 360 as it has no firewall etc.

I have tried Baidu PC maintenance when it was in beta and it was similar to Kingsoft (same company?) I can't remember. Kingsoft sort of let things slide imo, although it does have a few fans.

I wasn't overly impressed with the beta.

smallhagrid

If Baidu and Kingsoft are the same company that will surprise me - but even so, Kingsoft Office is also very, very good.

Can anyone confirm if this is the same company with different names ??

smallhagrid

Thanks Avmad - that is fascinating stuff.

I did wonder what happened to Kingsoft Internet Security.

Still, I'm in no hurry to try Quihoo 360 because it remains a bit TOO Asian yet.

Much of the Asian s/w that comes out never really gets a version that is translated completely for us limited english-only speakers.

That is fine for the Asian folks, but it keeps us non-Asians at a distance.

Sorry for taking it off topic. I just thought if someone was considering Baidu AV (They want to challenge Quihoo for users) then I would mention the number 1 security product in China.

The amount of users is correct. However they have only recently introduced an English version. With a slightly different name Qiho or something :s

You can look in the forum for more details if you want. It is getting good reports on security forums, and I like it :D 3 Engines. Bitdefender sigs, 2 cloud jobbies I think, and it stays light. It's not really 360 as it has no firewall etc.

I have tried Baidu PC maintenance when it was in beta and it was similar to Kingsoft (same company?) I can't remember. Kingsoft sort of let things slide imo, although it does have a few fans.

I wasn't overly impressed with the beta.

Baidu and Kingsoft are not the same company.And it's true that chinese companys like to copy each other's ideas

Thanks Avmad - that is fascinating stuff.

I did wonder what happened to Kingsoft Internet Security.

Still, I'm in no hurry to try Quihoo 360 because it remains a bit TOO Asian yet.

Much of the Asian s/w that comes out never really gets a version that is translated completely for us limited english-only speakers.

That is fine for the Asian folks, but it keeps us non-Asians at a distance.

If you guys like it,you can translate or modify the gui by yourself.As far as I am concerned,the Qihoo staffs welcome anyone to give their software a new look.

Archived