Windows 8.1 RTM to be available August 1st?

tezza

For those of us outside the US and not subject to their peculiar date formats, the date is of course 1/8 (1st of August) :P

can any one explain WHY there is 3 different ways to do date stamp...month/.day/ year day/month/year/..... and i have seen year/day/month on occasion on date stamps on food.... has nobody figured out that when you use two digit for each day month year half the people in the world will not if you mean january 12 2013 or 1st of december 2013 when you put it as 1/12/13...life is so confusing...and this is a ground shaking issue that the world needs to solve right now

Oh i know, i see it all the time.. we live in a computer age and we haven't figured out that we can just show the month. Usually it's month/day/year. That's how i was taught but i see some will put year/month/day or year/day/month.. and it's all numbers. It is quite annoying.

Generally, there are only two acceptable ways. As Karlston said - In the US, it's mm/dd/yy. The rest of the world writes it as dd/mm/yy which makes more sense IMO, 'cuz you go from the smallest to the largest. The rest are formats (indicated by three letters instead of two for the month category) to write the month in words like the 10th day of the first month of the year 2013 would be written as (Jan 10th, 2013) in the US. Format - mmm/dd/yyyy. But in most of the rest of the world - including here in India - it would be written as 10th Jan 2013. Format - dd/mmm/yyyy. :think:

It's not really rocket science, but yeah, I can understand why it can be confusing sometimes, when you see dates like 4/3/13. Is it the 4th day of the 3th month of this year or the 3th day of the 4th month? :o Depends mostly on whether you're on an US based website or an India/Britain/Australia based one ;)

• Replies 28
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this needs to be standardized world wide..go to any grocery store..(.product are sold from every country in the world) and look at pull dates for product freshness or best before dates... and some manufacturers use the Julian calendar

• 4 weeks later...

Computer makers will have Microsoft's Windows 8.1 update in hand by the end of August. Speaking at the company's Worldwide Partner Conference today, Windows chief Tami Reller announced the RTM timeframe, giving manufacturers ample time to prep new systems before the busy holiday season.

Archived