Windows 8.1 RTM to be available August 1st?

tezza

With less than 20 days until Microsoft launches the Windows 8.1 Preview, information regarding the release date for the final version of Windows 8.1 have appeared online. Today, a tweet from Paul Thurrott claims Windows 8.1 will launch on August 1st this year, which means it won't be long before Windows 8.1 is pushed out to everyone.

What date will Windows 8.1 ship? 8/1. Duh. :)

— Paul Thurrott (@thurrott) June 7, 2013

Of course, as this information isn't from official sources, we can only take this as a rumour for now. But Thurrott has sources who are familiar with Microsoft's plans and has indeed been correct on many rumours in the past. If August 1st is the correct date, it means Microsoft will just have over a month to complete Windows 8.1 after the Preview is released.

In a matter of fact, the Windows 8.1 Preview seems to be rather close to the final version anyway. It shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks for Microsoft to iron out the rest of the bugs after the Preview is out to the public. So an August 1st release date is very plausible.

We assume Microsoft will talk more about release dates at it's annual BUILD developer conference later this month.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-81-rtm-be-available-august-1st

wkUtmAm.png

XK9lBXO.png

• Replies 28
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

. If August 1st is the correct date, it means Microsoft will just have over a month to complete Windows 8.1 after the Preview is released.

Possible as it is only an update .

The Server side will be called "Server 2012 R2." Sound familiar?

Yep - it sure is excellent news!!! :rockon:

Surprised that the Trolls have not showed up, yet - complaining how an early release of Windows 8.1 could disrupt their sex life (especially the uneducated one who only has the knowledge enough to type -1.) <_<

Zex, obvious joke aside ( :D ) .RTM forwindows 8 was August 1, 2012, available MSDN/Technet ( August 15). General Availability October 26, 2012.

This is not a new os, only an update to 8 (also MS don't seem to worried about customer feedback :lol: , they are sticking to their vision) so fingers crossed.

calguyhunk

Umm ... Just a very technical query. Who uses "Duh" apart from 12 year old suburban girls? :o :P

8th of January? Did I miss it?

For those of us outside the US and not subject to their peculiar date formats, the date is of course 1/8 (1st of August) :P

Surprised that the Trolls have not showed up, yet - complaining how an early release of Windows 8.1 could disrupt their sex life (especially the uneducated one who only has the knowledge enough to type -1.) <_<

lol they will b here soon.sayin that they have seen the advert on tv.and that windows 8 is ugly.before they even try its.there loss ;) i think it could be time for ur spoiler :P

For those of us outside the US and not subject to their peculiar date formats, the date is of course 1/8 (1st of August) :P

can any one explain WHY there is 3 different ways to do date stamp...month/.day/ year day/month/year/..... and i have seen year/day/month on occasion on date stamps on food.... has nobody figured out that when you use two digit for each day month year half the people in the world will not if you mean january 12 2013 or 1st of december 2013 when you put it as 1/12/13...life is so confusing...and this is a ground shaking issue that the world needs to solve right now

MidnightDistortions

can any one explain WHY there is 3 different ways to do date stamp...month/.day/ year day/month/year/..... and i have seen year/day/month on occasion on date stamps on food.... has nobody figured out that when you use two digit for each day month year half the people in the world will not if you mean january 12 2013 or 1st of december 2013 when you put it as 1/12/13...life is so confusing...and this is a ground shaking issue that the world needs to solve right now

Oh i know, i see it all the time.. we live in a computer age and we haven't figured out that we can just show the month. Usually it's month/day/year. That's how i was taught but i see some will put year/month/day or year/day/month.. and it's all numbers. It is quite annoying.

LazyPotato

Yeah dewd Windows 8.1 is gonna ruin my sex life...my girfriend IS gonna use Windows 8.1...No seriosuly -- She uses win 8 (while I'm sticking with the new XP,windows seven) and says it's okay for her,though I don't like Win 8 cause of its flaws plus I'll give it a shot after a year. When bugs are fixed,softwares are released (dumping Windows XP).

Just to see if I should upgrade to 8 or wait for Windows Blue.

Long-time industry insider Paul Thurrott has indicated the shipment date for Windows 8.1 (formerly Windows Blue) will be August 1 -- or more cleverly put: 8/1. Thurrots date defies previous rumors of a later launch thought to possibly be sometime in October.

At first glance, the tweet may seem a bit tongue-in-cheek. However, when a follower chose to contend the purported shipment date, Thurrott issued a reply which lent more weight to his original tweet.

Although not infallible, Thurrott has a solid track record when it comes to rumors -- particularly ones from Microsoft -- thanks to his variety of inside sources and industry connections.

Interestingly though, Microsoft recently confirmed it would be releasing its 8.1 public preview during an annual conference slated for June 26 through 28. As these types of releases are typically unfinished products, Thurrott's purported ship date would leave Microsoft with a nearly one-month lapse between preview and retail -- that's an uncharacteristically small amount of time for the company to give itself to iron out any remaining kinks.

So far, we know that Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade aimed at improving the Windows 8 user experience, particularly the Metro / Modern UI areas of the OS. The update will feature the return of the Start button (but not menu), better Start Screen searching and customization, access to most system settings without leaving to the desktop, enhanced apps and Internet Explorer 11.

@ http://www.techspot.com/news/52860-windows-81-to-ship-on-8-1-according-to-paul-thurrott.html

Great thanks for the news info waiting new windows 8.1 rtm.

Archived