DSL Internet

LemonHead2089

LemonHead2089

yes I know, but i don't want to start downloading a file and not be able to finish it.

• Replies 27
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well first of all, as you may be aware, Newsgroups allow you to download at max speed. One of the pros of this is the fact that many films, apps etc... are split into many .rars. It isn't done for luxury, rather a mandatory factor as they're posted on Usenet as text files and can't be larger than something like 10000 lines. As a result, anything posted to Usenet has to be split up.

Most, if not all news clients have the ability to pause, resume and cancel downloads just like any other client.

Imagine waiting for eMule or BT to download a movie in 6 hours. Now imagine the same film being downloaded in 20 minutes (obviously depending on how fast you can download). Whatever your speed, you should be able to download at that speed. Unless of course your ISP caps your speed on NG's but I doubt it will affect you as you're not exactly going to affect their bandwidth that much with a 1.5MB connection.

Trust me... you'll be downloading faster than you can burn it to disk.

LemonHead2089

ok thats some great news! I'm already addicted to NewsGroups and I haven't even started using them yet. Downloaded all the programs I'm going to need already and installed them to. Found out Verizon has a 10-day retention and from what I've been reading they don't cap any speeds. But I did find out that about a year and a half ago they removed 8 binaries (alt.binaries.boneless, alt.binaries.cd.image.playstation2.dvdiso, alt.binaries.cd.image.xbox, alt.binaries.dvd, alt.binaries.dvdr, alt.binaries.misc, alt.binaries.nl, alt.binaries.x) which sucks. I'm now trying to find out which ones they do have. Does any one know how I can do this?

EDIT: i found a new list that shows the binaries they carry, but it's out-of-date (about a year). But it seems that they added some of the binaries that they seemed to remove. Still trying to find a list thats more up-to-date. If anyone finds one, please feel free to post it :)

Archived