Windows 8 Start menu makers thoughts on the return of the Start button for 8.1

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

Neowin got some of the developers behind the most popular Windows 8 Start menu programs to give their opinions on what they think about Microsoft putting in a Start button in Windows 8.1.

The rumors about Microsoft adding a Start button for the upcoming Windows 8.1 update started flying a few months ago and this past week, Microsoft confirmed that a version of the Start button would indeed be part of its free upgrade to Windows 8. However, the Start button won't actually be a full Start menu but rather will simply take people out of the desktop UI of Windows 8.1 to the Modern UI Start screen. That means the makers of the various third party Windows 8 Start menu programs may still be in business when Windows 8.1 is officially released later this year.

Neowin contacted some of the developers behind the most well known Windows 8 Start menu programs to get their opinions on Microsoft's decision to bring back at least the Start button in Windows 8.1

h9veCsx.jpg

Brad Wardell - CEO of Stardock (Start8)

It's good to see Microsoft responding to customer feedback. Bringing the start button back is a positive first step. But the main issue is that their start button just takes the user to the Metro Start screen. The reason we created Start8 was because switching from the desktop to a completely different environment to find and launch apps is disorienting and less productive than the Start Menu. So while I'm glad Microsoft has at least put the button back, which should reduce the training costs to migrate, I wish they'd brought back the Start menu with it. In the meantime, I suspect Start8 and ModernMix to continue to be the premiere solutions for Windows users to use Windows 8 as a desktop PC OS.

Don Van Oort - CTO of Thinix (RetroUI)

Our opinion is that Windows needs to be a platform, and we think Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 are or will all be excellent platforms. They provide consistency, security and a development platform to support a variety of users, in many different situations. It’s like buying tools, no tool is good for everything, but if you have to pick a single tool, we feel that the Microsoft platform is a great place to start (no pun intended). Conversely, we see fragmentation and control in Android. It’s ironic that a platform built on an open source platform is basically closed because of the totalitarian control placed on the App store by Google. Similarly, iOS is a great platform and Apple has done some excellent things, but developers can’t get in under-the-hood and write low-level code that alters the fundamental behavior of devices. That is a good and bad thing. It is for that reason, that Windows or the Windows ecosystem is so important.

With that in mind, we feel Microsoft made some bold steps and some mis-steps, which we addressed with respect to User experience (Ux) in Windows 8, and they are trying to make adjustments. Since we haven’t seen release builds for Win8.1, we can’t speculate fully, but I think it is safe to say that there will still be a viable ecosystem for vendors who find opportunities and provide solutions for Windows 8.1. At Thinix, we are pushing the envelope in next generation technology development that will further improve the way people use, manage, and experience computers. At Thinix we are focused on building genuinely innovative technology, not worrying about the ‘shiny thing’ of the month. With this in mind, as Windows 8.1 gets closer, we will be looking carefully at it and determining where we add value, how we make it better more reliable and transparent. I would like to thank your team at Neowin, for providing the insight into these things and for providing a framework and ecosystem for healthy conversation.

Alan Masarsky - Senior Marketing Manager of Sweetlabs (Pokki)

We haven't actually tried 8.1 so would be premature for us to say. That said, the changes they've announced sound like a step in the right direction and validate the importance of the desktop for users. It's the desktop where Pokki will continue to try to help, from our Start menu to modern app platform and store.

Ivo Beltchev - Creator of Classic Shell

I still will need to wait to play with it before I can make up my mind.

view.gifView: Original Article

• Replies 12
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
calguyhunk

Wonder what Tihiy feel about this. :think:

Especially 'bout the part that the 'Blue' 8.1 update kills the Win 7 start Menu code thereby rendering StartIsBack incompatible with this version :(

I still can't belive MS had the balls to rename Metro into Modern. Guess they were desperate to either stick it to us PC users that the desktop days are over or kiss up to tablet/mobile users with a kind of "this touch interface is here to stay" statement.

In any way, bringing back the button but not the menu is just another in a growing series of slaps in the face to PC users by MS.

Especially 'bout the part that the 'Blue' 8.1 update kills the Win 7 start Menu code thereby rendering StartIsBack incompatible with this version :(

Tihiy feels non-committal about the whole matter and that;'s how we should be feeling, too. Microsoft has a track record of making drastic last minute changes just before the RTM.

I still can't belive MS had the balls to rename Metro into Modern. Guess they were desperate to either stick it to us PC users that the desktop days are over or kiss up to tablet/mobile users with a kind of "this touch interface is here to stay" statement.

In any way, bringing back the button but not the menu is just another in a growing series of slaps in the face to PC users by MS.

Please read what MS has to say about where they believe their future lies,

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/172142-microsoft-reveals-first-official-look-at-windows-81/

MidnightDistortions

Couldn't the code just be thrown back in? By now i'd imagine there are those who have already figured out the Win 7 start menu code anyway.

so microsoft made a mistake thinking a user interface meant for touch screens would be OK for regular PC/notebook users...some companies NEVER admit to mistakes ...nor try to make amends... stop with the microsoft hate already..don't hear you all whining about how APPLE locks up their stuff tighter than hermetically sealed drums for the average user..i have an ipad and cannot use it for all things i can do on a windows 8 based tablet...when it come time to replace my ipad... a win 8 tablet will front and foremost on my buying short list..unless APPLE changes the basic way they allow end users to operate their products...and NO i don feel i should have to jail break my apple stuff..apple should open their products up for me already to do what i want and need to an ipad to do

• Administrator

some companies NEVER admit to mistakes ...nor try to make amends... stop with the microsoft hate already..don't hear you all whining about how APPLE locks up their stuff tighter than hermetically sealed drums for the average user..i have an ipad and cannot use it for all things i can do on a windows 8 based tablet...when it come time to replace my ipad... a win 8 tablet will front and foremost on my buying short list..unless APPLE changes the basic way they allow end users to operate their products...and NO i don feel i should have to jail break my apple stuff..apple should open their products up for me already to do what i want and need to an ipad to do

I for one have always been an open opposer of Apple's practices. Infact, if one browses around the internet outsite the Apple world, you'll see how majority of people are against the closed-ness of Apple products.

As for Windows Blue, originally I thought that yes, Microsoft admitted it's mistake, but now it looks like it's just continuing with it's touchscreen mistake while putting dirt over it. Reason I say this is, it still thinks a full screen start screen is suitable for desktop / non-touch users.

some companies NEVER admit to mistakes ...nor try to make amends... stop with the microsoft hate already..don't hear you all whining about how APPLE locks up their stuff tighter than hermetically sealed drums for the average user..i have an ipad and cannot use it for all things i can do on a windows 8 based tablet...when it come time to replace my ipad... a win 8 tablet will front and foremost on my buying short list..unless APPLE changes the basic way they allow end users to operate their products...and NO i don feel i should have to jail break my apple stuff..apple should open their products up for me already to do what i want and need to an ipad to do

I for one have always been an open opposer of Apple's practices. Infact, if one browses around the internet outsite the Apple world, you'll see how majority of people are against the closed-ness of Apple products.

As for Windows Blue, originally I thought that yes, Microsoft admitted it's mistake, but now it looks like it's just continuing with it's touchscreen mistake while putting dirt over it. Reason I say this is, it still thinks a full screen start screen is suitable for desktop / non-touch users.

Thats fine.and i agree in a way.but me myself and i.i love to persionlise windows 8 the best snappy op system available :P

Thats fine.and i agree in a way.but me myself and i.i love to persionlise windows 8 the best snappy op system available :P

oh and to the mods when i say newb i just want them to give us more.nothing bad :rolleyes:

the win8 start screen is NOT evil...just different.. easy enough to bypass it if you hate that part of win 8...no really big deal breaker

MidnightDistortions

lol, despite being interested in a Mac i think they are overpriced. Especially since with a PC you can reuse certain parts like the optical drive or a hard drive.

Well with Windows 8 it's encouraged me to go to Linux, at least for the internet browsing and i can also use Linux for a media player. With some software i use i may have to keep using Windows but i haven't fully figured out the range i got with Linux but i don't think it makes much sense to buy an expensive product and spend 2 hours tweaking it to make it look satisfiable to you. But if i needed Windows 8 for whatever reason i'll tweak the UI no matter what & by then there will probably be Windows 8 machines selling on eBay.. i might go that route depending on how cheap the machine is.

Archived