Microsoft reveals first official look at Windows 8.1

tezza

Before we launched Windows 7, we envisioned what the next version of Windows would need to deliver. We made a bet that the PC landscape and industry would undergo a significant transformation driven by an increase in mobility. That bet underscores the changes we made with Windows 8 – it’s a generational leap forward. We built Windows 8 for a world where touch is a first class interaction model, the same as mouse and keyboard; and where there’s a proliferation of innovative and diverse devices that are highly mobile, always on the go and always connected. Windows 8 was built on the reality that the lines between our work and personal lives have blurred.

We’re only a bit more than seven months into this new, bold approach to computing. The response to Windows 8 has been substantial— from new devices to strong app growth to key enhancements to the OS and apps. We’ve learned from customers in how they are using the product and have received a lot of feedback. We’ve delivered hundreds of updates to the product and to apps. We’re just getting started, and the potential ahead is tremendous.

Windows 8.1 will advance the bold vision set forward with Windows 8 to deliver the next generation of PCs, tablets, and a range of industry devices, and the experiences customers — both consumers and businesses alike — need and will just expect moving forward. It’s Windows 8 even better. Not only will Windows 8.1 respond to customer feedback, but it will add new features and functionality that advance the touch experience and mobile computing’s potential.

Windows 8.1 will deliver improvements and enhancements in key areas like personalization, search, the built-in apps, Windows Store experience, and cloud connectivity. Windows 8.1 will also include big bets for business in areas such as management and security – we’ll have more to say on these next week at TechEd North America. Today, I am happy to share a “first look” at Windows 8.1 and outline some of the improvements, enhancements and changes customers will see.

continue reading

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/05/30/continuing-the-windows-8-vision-with-windows-8-1.aspx

• Replies 22
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you know ....it sounds like to me that anyone that purchased windows 8 should get a free upgrade to this

• Administrator

you know ....it sounds like to me that anyone that purchased windows 8 should get a free upgrade to this

That's how it's going to be. It's a free upgrade. ;)

However, as of now, it's said to be only downloadable from Windows Store. :(

• Administrator

really?...thank you!!!...when?

Yup. Announced like 15 days / one month ago. The free thingy.

Beta is going to release on 26 June. And the final is expected somewhere around September / October / November.

Blackchildcx

what will people do activated with kms ? :huh:

hope the update works for us too! ;)

I do not think there will be a problem ^_^

• Administrator

Me neither.

Activated with KMS probably means is fully activated, meaning, no problems for upgrading.

Seeing as how KMS activation is supplied for Corporations by MS it could only be asumed that its considered legit by MS.

Me neither.

Activated with KMS probably means is fully activated, meaning, no problems for upgrading.

good

pweeseonichan

I buyed startisback for "boot to desktop" option. I was tired of waiting for m$ to do something. With other popular free solutions you still see metro start menu for 1 second when booting.

Microsoft has just rolled out the first clip that presents the upcoming Windows 8.1 in all its glory, only a few weeks ahead of the public launch at the BUILD developer conference.

10x tezza for the clip.

as u can see it the clip microSHIT is still focus on this shity metro skin/addon , no ONE word says in the demonstration on the "start" button :angry:

IMO microcrap is KEEP trying manoeuvre us to believe and love this metro crap .!!!

and yes even in a tablet i wont been using this metro bricks crap :)

and yes even in a tablet i wont been using this metro bricks crap :)

:rofl: :lmao:

windows red :huh:

There is no Windows Red, it is just an article i read. :D

Blackchildcx

I hope they fix some things to bring 7 and 8 together..

In some things win 8 is better, in others win 7 wins...so

lets see what M$ will do.. ;)

(thanx for info about KMS, I still wonder how long this fix works) ;)

The arrogance of these Microsoft people, trying to think for all their users. They still have just hijjacked the free desktop for their tiles arrangement, which the users may populate with numerous suggested - infantile - apps.

And good news! It will now - in Windows 8.1 - be possible to make a wallpaper on the desktop! The wallpaper is supposed to be behind the tiles of course, because apparently these tile turds have to be stuffed through the users throat at any time.

As if Windows never had the capability to make wallpapers.
From Windows 95 up to Windows 7, I am used to look at a solid desktop background on which wallpapers can be made all the time. Suitable free viewers for that are FastStone Viewer or XnView. In the centre of the desktop. Pictures to my liking. A few EFFICIENT ToolBars. Some 100 shortcuts (auto hide) and some shortcuts along the edges. I was happy with that.

Microsoft, the way to my Applications should NOT occupy the centre of the desktop in a way that will make me spend the time of my life swiping through a hundred tiles big enough to poke an eye out. I will not warm up to a tiled desktop future, where the days are supposed to be spend confusing the web with ones PC, while swiping through images until the cows come home. Thanks for nothing.

Nowadays, there's another thing the desktop has to deal with, and that is File Management. When a user wants to pack some files, while leaving other files out, the desktop is the place to be. Why?

Because, as of Windows 7, the grayed out potato brains at Microsoft got rid of the flexible grid in all folders, except the desktop. In earlier Windows versions (96 up to XP) it was possible to rearrange files in ANY Folder, after switching to 'Small Icons' mode. As of Windows 7, no longer. So for File Management the desktop is a remaining place.

As of Windows 8, you are not supposed to know anymore what desktop you need, but never fear, you will be told.

My tip would be, maintain an empty, free to arrange, Users Desktop with Toolbar options and proper graphics. And for mobiles and people who want tiles to direct their thinking, make it at least totally flexible, without stuffing fixed items in.

There are numerous other things Microsoft never seems to fix, we all know some of them.
Windows 7 will be supported until 2020. One look at Windows 8's graphics did it for me. I will have another look when Windows 9 comes around.

Archived