Here's how the new Windows Blue Start Button may work

tezza

Are you seriously having a discussion about personal preferences?

Let me ask you this: both make one more post in which you indicate your central argument in just one sentence.

• Replies 49
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Are you seriously having a discussion about personal preferences?

Let me ask you this: both make one more post in which you indicate your central argument in just one sentence.

My view about it is simple. Just because you can add then change / customize a steering wheel in a car doesn't mean the car manufacturer should sell the car without one. Windows 8.1 should come with an optional start menu for common users and if us geeks want, we can use 3rd party ones to change it the way it works or customize it further.

My view is when you have a costly steering wheel available free for you 24/7 in your garage, you should first start off your opinion on the car by appreciating other unique accessories (read - exclusive advantages, not available on any other car) before bitching about the steering wheel . . . . . . . . incessantly - this boring one-track rant causes others to classify you as a Fag and results in translating into a complaint to the Head of the garage which can boomerang if it recurs the third time. :coolwink:

Just a point to think about.

Estimated number of third party start buttons downloaded mentioned here 20m .

Conservative number of actual Win8 users (not including pirate copies) 60m.

This shows me that the majority of users (geeks and common man) do not use/need a start button, may actually like metro (not everyone hates it ) and easily switch between metro /desktop as it is an option.

:)

This shows me that the majority of users (geeks and common man) do not use/need a start button, may actually like metro (not everyone hates it ) and easily switch between metro /desktop as it is an option.

:)

. . . . . . . . . and to add to that - there's a choice to everything (damnit.)

Those who want to keep groaning & moaning about the same blessed thing (that doesn't even affect them) can very easily adopt Windows 7, Vista, XP, Linux, Mac, etc., etc., instead.

Nobody forced anybody into using Windows 8 / Blue / 8.1 - there was always a choice.

Anybody who experiences an irrevocable itch to cater to the common man is always free to re-format himself from a :pirate: into a Politician (that should surely fetch enough dough to buy that steering wheel.)

So basically DKT says:

I would have appreciated the same old steering wheel and I'm fairly sure many others would agree (doesn't matter whether this is due to their reluctance to change or them actually appreciating the old steering wheel better) so the garage should have provided us with that option.

And what dcs says:

There's this new cool "touch" steering wheel which is better than that old steering wheel (even though it does come with a learning curve, as all new things do) and as such the garage has no reason to include the old steering wheel.

-----

Re-design is always about the question of forcing new changes upon your users vs not being innovative enough. Offering tons of options to customize things might sound great, but it isn't always. Then again not offering options which have been the standard for years sounds silly as well.

Microsoft has to make this decision, not you. All I can say is that I am happy so many people shared their thoughts and got Microsoft to listen to their userbase.

-----

ps please let this be a lesson, when you disagree there's no sense in getting into a heated debate, just get to the core issue and find out why you disagree and you will, I repeat will, find that this is either due to a misunderstanding of each others arguments or a simple difference of personal preferences.

Optimists would look forward & ahead to the words underlined, below.

Pessimists would insist on seeing only and I repeat only - the red words:-

I'm working hard to make this possible. StartIsBack for Windows 8.1 is expected in July, if possible.

Optimists would look forward & ahead to the words underlined, below.

Pessimists would insist on seeing only and I repeat only - the red words:-

I'm working hard to make this possible. StartIsBack for Windows 8.1 is expected in July, if possible.

@dcs

Do you think this will be sold as a new product (rather than an upgrade to existing one) as i dont want to spend another $1 :lol:

IMO Tihiy won't want to give up on fringe brand benefits - he might not charge again under the pretext of an new product, either (unless Microsoft comes up with something so radical that he's forced to re-invent the wheel.) :think:

Start button in Windows 8 :troll:

MidnightDistortions

that video was :rofl:. I think the transition into metro is a bit better.. though i'd still use a 3rd party fix.

that video was :rofl:. I think the transition into metro is a bit better.. though i'd still use a 3rd party fix.

May as well look like this

troll.png

@dcs

Do you think this will be sold as a new product (rather than an upgrade to existing one) as i dont want to spend another $1 :lol:

Check out this good news, tezza!!! :rockon:

To recap still worthless start button...MS can keep that crap.

you r another one that winds me up.dont no shit about wind 8.but feels the need to think u do. :angry:

Thing is, Start Button itself is useless, we need a full Start Menu back, not just the button.

http://dagobah.net/flashswf/press_the_button.swf

@dcs

Check out this good news, tezza!!! :rockon:

That certainly is good news dcs :showoff:

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft Makes Windows 8.1 “Boot to Desktop” Option Official

Microsoft yesterday made Windows Server 2012 R2 available on its MSDN portal, thus providing us with an early glimpse into the feature lineup of the upcoming Windows 8.1 Preview.

In addition to a Start button and new live tile size options, Windows 8.1 Preview will also include dedicated settings to boot directly to desktop and thus skip the Start screen.

A27P9Yf.jpg

Right-click on Start button

aeGUJ3q.jpg

This might come as a disappointment for some Windows 8 bashers - sorry guys, gossip time is over. :sneaky:

kuEsDQs.png

the Start button is always visible when working on the desktop, while in Metro mode, users are required to move the mouse cursor in the left lower corner to access it.

bojan.miletic

I belive that it's an a epic fail from microsoft they don't wanna addmit that they made an mistake. Taskbar and navigation properties correcting this mistake intirely....

MidnightDistortions

That is a bit better i do kinda wonder if users will now get 8.1 or they will simply wait. If i did get 8 though for whatever reason i'd still be getting a 3rd party start menu that locks the OS on the desktop.

I know there are still doubters out there, . . . . . . . . . . .

To all ye (perpetual) Doubters & Pessimists out there, I drink to your good health - you provide me with all the amusement a soul like me could ever ask for.

I take great pleasure in having the last laugh - a laugh which I wish should last forever, thank you.

:lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lmao:

Archived