Start "Button" returning in Windows 8.1 with updated Charms Bar, insiders claim

nsane.forums

• Replies 33
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MidnightDistortions

I would probably not have ditched Windows 7 if it had the capability of UEFI, GPT coupled with the performance that the modern technology in Windows 8 brings with it. I'm afraid Windows 7 has excellent backward-compatibility - but is today saturated for performance, with zero forward-compatibility.

FWIW, my copy of Windows 8 cannot be differentiated from a Windows 7 in it's looks - moreover, it has been injected with the advantages of XP and Linux which is just not possible to perform on Windows 7. My computing experience is akin to running Windows 7 on steroids with top (XP + Linux) features - actually a wolf in sheep's clothing (a Windows 8 growling under the hood.) :showoff:

On my system - Metro, Start Screen, Store, Tiles, Lock Screen, etc., etc. cannot be invoked (even if one wished to.) :tehe:

Moral:

It's not important what Microsoft will do - what really matters is whether the User has it in him to counter their move. So in the end, it's different strokes for different people - based on resourcefulness, capability, time and inclination.

Everybody (at least) at nSane has resourcefulness thrust upon them (the FrontPage carries almost everything) - lack of resourcefulness cannot be offered as an excuse (at least, by members.) :nono:

Edit:

It's very evident that those who keep cribbing about the Modern UI are actually whining because they are not actually aware that it can be partially/completely disabled - applies to the Start Screen, Store, Tiles, Lock Screen, etc., etc., as well.

I do feel sorry for those who expose their incapabilities in public. :(

I am kinda lazy at migrating to Linux even though i could simply just use it if i need to :D. So updating to Windows 8 would simply mean i'd have to not be lazy :lol: . I indeed have looked at Windows 8 as an abomination from hell mostly because of that darn start screen and the minor changes with the way it operates.

If using Windows 8 was the only way out, i'd want to lock out everything related to the new UI and use a Win 7 template. Windows 98 was the last OS that i used where i changed the font and pretty much everything on that OS to make it better looking. I wished i knew how to do disk images during that time, i got it to look really amazing compared to the regular default. But with Win 98, i refreshed that OS so many times i just got tired of trying to make my desktop look perfect. Windows 8 is just an excuse for me to say that i just don't want to deal with it, except i could just make a disk image and never have to deal with having to reinstall everything.

I think the major problem for me though, since i do help some people out with their computer problem is that the first thing i would be doing before even working on a Win 8 system is to install software to get rid of the new UI. I wonder if anyone would object to that but thankfully all the users that need PC help usually has Win 7 or XP. But even if i was asked to fix a Windows 8 machine without the start menu add on, i'd probably just ask for money or tell them they can spend $50 to have a PC repair shop work on it. :P

I don't know how much experience anyone has had with trying to clean someone's PC out or fix a problem on it but there are at least a few people in this world who know nothing about computers and they think the programs i install like CCleaner, Defraggler, Windirstat and several other software that help keep your system clean, secure and running fast will corrupt or delete their files and they are so adamant on not allowing me to install anything that i can't really do much with so i told those people well either take it into a shop or let me fix it. I remember one guy saying he was just going to get a new computer because his USB ports didn't work. :wtf:

i offered to try to fix it or at least build him one but he declined and said he didn't have enough money for one. 1 month later, he got a Windows 8 machine. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. In the end though it's just another thing to have to deal with. I will fix your Windows 8 machine only if you have a start menu installed. I will install it for you but you must not complain about how some imaginary dragon is going to attack your favorite videos. Needless to say if these users who don't even know how to shut down their PC properly or know that Windows update is vital to keep their system secure were a bit more trusting that i won't sic my dragon application on their data i wouldn't really care about how Windows 8's UI is. But anyway as i said before, to each their own.

Beamslider

Great I can't wait...Boot to desktop and then click a start menu button to move to metro.....Why is MS even wasting the time to program that?

I indeed have looked at Windows 8 as an abomination from hell mostly because of that darn start screen and the minor changes with the way it operates.

Like I mentioned in my previous post - petty little Metro things like the Start Screen (Modern UI, Store, Tiles, Lock Screen, Toast, etc., etc.) are no consideration for members who are resourceful, capable and who have the time and inclination. ;)

I see uneducated & unfounded criticism against Windows 8 mostly from the judgmental ones who've never used Windows 8 over a protracted period of time - they don't realize they cut a sorry figure by making a mockery of themselves in front of others, who have conquered this OS. :fool:

RadioActive

Like I mentioned in my previous post - petty little Metro things like the Start Screen (Modern UI, Store, Tiles, Lock Screen, Toast, etc., etc.) are no consideration for members who are resourceful, capable and who have the time and inclination. ;)

I see uneducated & unfounded criticism against Windows 8 mostly from the judgmental ones who've never used Windows 8 over a protracted period of time - they don't realize they cut a sorry figure by making a mockery of themselves in front of others, who have conquered this OS. :fool:

Congratulations!!!

Disclaimer:

There is always one single person out of millions of others, at every Board who manages to fit himself into all of the following roles:

• The Vain
  • The Dead
  • The Trolls
  • The Proud
  • The n00bs
  • The Sheep
  • The Dense
  • The Slaves
  • The Losers
  • The Biased
  • The MisFits
  • The Prudes
  • The Flaccid
  • The Dunces
  • The Morons
  • The Pussies
  • The Lamers
  • The KillJoys
  • The Gullible
  • The Jealous
  • The Rippers
  • The Retards
  • The Flamers
  • The Faggots
  • The Blamers
  • The Quitters
  • The Whiners
  • The ShitLess
  • The Dumbos
  • The Flunkies
  • The Stooges
  • The Lackeys
  • The FullCups
  • The Haughty
  • The Eunuchs
  • The Doubtful
  • The Paranoid
  • The Yes-Men
  • The Accusers
  • The Laggards
  • The Theorists
  • The Alarmists
  • The ImPotent
  • The Gamblers
  • The ImPatient
  • The CryBabies
  • The Comatose
  • The InCapable
  • The Weaklings
  • The Pessimists
  • The Hypocrites
  • The Lamenters
  • The LukeWarm
  • The Ignoramus
  • The Contended
  • The DisInclined
  • The PallBearers
  • The ShameLess
  • The ImPractical
  • The SpoilSports
  • The Know-It-All
  • The Astrologers
  • The Vanquished
  • The Speculators
  • The GreenHorns
  • The Conformists
  • The Constipated
  • The SoothSayers
  • The Conspirators
  • The Philosophers
  • The UnCharitable
  • The DayDreamers
  • The non-Believers
  • The Escape Artists
  • The InCompetents
  • The OverConfident
  • The Living UnDead
  • The UnResourceful
  • The Breast Beaters
  • The Fuddy Duddies
  • The Procrastinators
  • The Rabble Rousers
  • The Rumor Mongers
  • The WindowsBashers
  • The FanBoyz & FanGals
  • The Don't-Fix-It-If-It's-Not-Broken

MidnightDistortions

:lol:

I indeed have looked at Windows 8 as an abomination from hell mostly because of that darn start screen and the minor changes with the way it operates.

I have conquered Server 2012....The new technology "UEFI, GPT coupled with the performance" is my reasons for switching. And I am not looking back.

I have conquered Server 2012....The new technology "UEFI, GPT coupled with the performance" is my reasons for switching. And I am not looking back.

That's awesome news, RobrPatty. :thumbsup:

Archived