Start "Button" returning in Windows 8.1 with updated Charms Bar, insiders claim

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

Rumours surrounding the release of Windows 8.1 are flying thick and fast - the most recent of which suggests the Start Button will be returning alongside an updated Charms Bar.

23RHFNA.jpg

Set for a public preview in June, Windows 8.1 has just got another set of rumoured features, this time suggesting the update will resurrect the Start button and generally make many of the Metro features easier to use for desktop users.

ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley has reportedly been tipped off by insiders that Microsoft has numerous interface adjustments in the works, most notably of which are the addition of an optional Start button and an updated Charms Bar with a focus on desktop ease of use. Following the trend of increasing usability for desktop users, the Start screen will also reportedly be getting a facelift. Notably, these features may not be arriving in the Windows 8.1 public preview in June, but would potentially be seen in the final iteration of the updated operating system.

Foley notes that despite continual rumours that Windows 8.1, code-named "Blue," will be a complete overhaul in the wake of consumer backlash over the Metro-based, touch-based design, the update will aim to build upon current features rather than replace them. One hopes that making the radically different UI of Windows 8 easier to use for consumers switching from earlier iterations of the OS will improve the lacklustre sales numbers.

Despite the increase in Windows 8 tablets available, the majority of users will be in a desktop environment. As such, features of the OS clearly based for touch purposes may be updated in 8.1 as not to alienate these non-mobile customers.

Windows 8.1 will be available as a public preview Microsoft's BUILD conference in June.

view.gifView: Original Article

• Replies 33
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will wait for the sales figures post the Start button implementation; ideally not too impressed with MS re-instating the button because it only reflects they have no clue what they were doing but I do respect that they are listening to the public if this is what people REALLY WANT AND NOT ACTING UP ONLY TO JUDGE AND CRITICIZE BECAUSE IT WILL NEVER END THERE!!!!! CRITICISM ON MS WAS THERE BEFORE THE START BUTTON SO PLEASE DON"T TELL ME THIS IS THE PUBLIC"S ISSUE!!!!!! try to convince someoneelse

Is this an actual Start Menu this and not pointless Metro shortcuts?

I Googled before hitting 'post':

Microsoft is preparing to revive the traditional Start button it killed with Windows 8. Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans have revealed to The Verge that Windows 8.1 will include the return of the Start button. We understand that the button will act as a method to simply access the Start Screen, and will not include the traditional Start Menu. The button is said to look near-identical to the existing Windows flag used in the Charm bar.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/22/4251610/windows-8-1-start-button

Who cares about a "button"....

If this is TRUE, Windows 8 Sales will ROCKET like crazy. Windows 8 is Excellent but lack of the Start Button doesn't help.

Fingers Crossed ! :cheers:

if ppl so concern about lack of start button , go and download one software who bring it back ... no big deal :)

Not everyone like those solutions and most definitely not the Enterprise Users. I don't think companies want random software running ion their environments.

Lots of people forget this is not just affecting the everyday Personal/Professional User, but also the Enterprise Users too.

MidnightDistortions

I don't want random software running on my PC without an AV and system updates. Actually the more software that runs on your OS the more problems you may run into. Doesn't always happen but for that reason anything random i install i use my older PC to see if i like the software. Nothing worse then installing software left and right and then running into a buggy system. Clean installs usually work but who wants to spend most of their time doing constant re-installs. Even with a disc image it takes time.

Since i am doing extensive maintenance on my PC, virus scanning in safe mode, running SpinRite, and cleaning/defragging right now (i've been doing this since Sunday - SpinRite is taking up most of the time) it takes awhile to get it done. It also takes time to back up any data i need off that PC but once i get a better setup i could back that data automatically so then i can just sync all that back up data to my other PC.

if ppl so concern about lack of start button , go and download one software who bring it back ... no big deal :)

love your comment because it's all common sense! thank you!

Regardless of whether Windows 8.1 gets released with/without a Modern UI, with/without a Start Menu one will find most :pirate: :pirate: employing it for it's sheer unbeatable performance - few of the more savvy :pirate: :pirate: will also manage to tweak their copies so minutely that people wont be able to make out if it's Windows 8.1 or Windows 7.

This fine OS may/may not be taken to, kindly by the common man on the street - but, make no mistake I shall be employing it, and then tweaking & beautifying it before finally deploying it across to the masses (at least - to my Customers.)

Will my windows 8 pro key work on v8.1?

8.1 is just an update, take it like a service pack if you ask me.

People doesn't hate W8 because lack of start button, or Metro, but because is Microsoft, when W7 came out it had the same hate gathered around it, and now everyone "felt in love with it." People like to quarrel, to say the opposite all the time, to be out of the box.

Will my windows 8 pro key work on v8.1?

To download Win8.1 you need genuine Win8 so therefore you will have used key already. If try to use on a new Win8.1 o/s i think the answer no. :)

I spose I will have to run the upgrade to 8 pro disk, then run windows update or download it separately and install.

The latter will be the best for me.

I want a start button.

As for 7 I was looking forward to it when I went mad and upgraded from xp pro sp3 to vista.

• Administrator

People doesn't hate W8 because lack of start button, or Metro, but because is Microsoft, when W7 came out it had the same hate gathered around it, and now everyone "felt in love with it." People like to quarrel, to say the opposite all the time, to be out of the box.

You seem to be missing all the news or the analysis, or not reading everyone's views about Windows 8. The hatred is because of Metro and lack of Start Menu. Rest of the hatred is too minimum to even count.

Also, in 4 (?) years of Windows 7, I'm yet to meet a non-oldie who hated Windows 7. I'm following Windows 7 from start (I, with other mods, used to enjoy keeping the fixes of Windows 7 updated, and answering / solving all the questions / queries of the members), and right from the start, I didn't see a single post complaining or hating Window 7 (again, from a non-oldie).

Infact, the only Windows 7 haters I saw on the whole internet, were just Apple fanboys - completely different than the hate of Windows 8. Till now, even Windows lovers / users hate Windows 8 so much, that Apple fanboys don't even need to show their fanboism.

Beamslider

Windows 7 never generated hate. After Vista sucking eggs and with Win 7 being better than XP it was widely accepted.

when W7 came out it had the same hate gathered around it, and now everyone "felt in love with it."

I find many people taking a liking to Windows 8, now.

MidnightDistortions

8.1 is just an update, take it like a service pack if you ask me.

You sure you don't have Windows 7 confused with Vista? In fact i never hated Vista.. even though the PC i have couldn't handle Vista. It didn't handle Windows 7 either, but that was mostly due to a lack of RAM on the PC. Anyway when i did get Windows 7 i enjoyed it and i still do. Most people i know accepted Windows 7 just fine. There wasn't that many problems with the launch of 7.

Windows 8 is a different story. I hate it for many reasons, but people don't hate it for the fact they just want to complain, they hate Win 8 because it's a problem.

RadioActive

So, in the end, will they return the start menu or merely the start button? There's a distinction..

• Administrator

So, in the end, will they return the start menu or merely the start button? There's a distinction..

Just the button, which will lead to the Metro.

as i already said in other thread here , i used win7 for 3 years and now installed W8 , i am running it for about 4 days as main OS (no vm no more :D) and its rocks! work like it should work no issue no shit... i don't understand why ppl embittered so much :blink:

as i already said in other thread here , i used win7 for 3 years and now installed W8 , i am running it for about 4 days as main OS (no vm no more :D) and its rocks! work like it should work no issue no shit... i don't understand why ppl embittered so much :blink:

People won't try for themselves and won't believe others who've tried it, either - not everyone is able to adapt to change management (a sure sign of senility.) :D

MidnightDistortions

It's really not about what Windows 8 can or can't do it's whether Microsoft will abandon the desktop in favor for the modern UI IMO. Anyway with Windows 8 itself it's to each their own. I could get Windows 8 and customize it to look exactly like Windows 7 but i don't really have the time for it now and Win 8 doesn't really offer me anything that i can already do with WIndows 7. In the end i most likely will head towards Linux, abandoning Microsoft all together because Win 8 by itself is not the kind of direction i wanna see from MS.

Edit: Also i am in favor of using tablet apps on my desktop, but it would have been far better if MS kept the desktop as the primary and gave users the option if they wanted full screen apps or windowed, while keeping the touch. The start screen is far too intrusive along with the overall look.

It's really not about what Windows 8 can or can't do it's whether Microsoft will abandon the desktop in favor for the modern UI IMO. Anyway with Windows 8 itself it's to each their own. I could get Windows 8 and customize it to look exactly like Windows 7 but i don't really have the time for it now and Win 8 doesn't really offer me anything that i can already do with WIndows 7. In the end i most likely will head towards Linux, abandoning Microsoft all together because Win 8 by itself is not the kind of direction i wanna see from MS.

Edit: Also i am in favor of using tablet apps on my desktop, but it would have been far better if MS kept the desktop as the primary and gave users the option if they wanted full screen apps or windowed, while keeping the touch. The start screen is far too intrusive along with the overall look.

that exactly my point in other words , w8 = w7 deliver nothing amazing or something that put w8 in the spot light , regarding time consuming making w8 looking like w7 i see no "time consuming " i just install startisback and now its look like my old w7 :)

i think giving away MS OS coz w8 is over reacting , just keep using w7 as is and that it :)

cheers ;)

I would probably not have ditched Windows 7 if it had the capability of UEFI, GPT coupled with the performance that the modern technology in Windows 8 brings with it. I'm afraid Windows 7 has excellent backward-compatibility - but is today saturated for performance, with zero forward-compatibility.

FWIW, my copy of Windows 8 cannot be differentiated from a Windows 7 in it's looks - moreover, it has been injected with the advantages of XP and Linux which is just not possible to perform on Windows 7. My computing experience is akin to running Windows 7 on steroids with top (XP + Linux) features - actually a wolf in sheep's clothing (a Windows 8 growling under the hood.) :showoff:

On my system - Metro, Start Screen, Store, Tiles, Lock Screen, etc., etc. cannot be invoked (even if one wished to.) :tehe:

Moral:

It's not important what Microsoft will do - what really matters is whether the User has it in him to counter their move. So in the end, it's different strokes for different people - based on resourcefulness, capability, time and inclination.

Everybody (at least) at nSane has resourcefulness thrust upon them (the FrontPage carries almost everything) - lack of resourcefulness cannot be offered as an excuse (at least, by members.) :nono:

Edit:

It's very evident that those who keep cribbing about the Modern UI are actually whining because they are not actually aware that it can be partially/completely disabled - applies to the Start Screen, Store, Tiles, Lock Screen, etc., etc., as well.

I do feel sorry for those who expose their incapabilities in public. :(

Archived