WinRar Program

Airstream_Bill

Airstream_Bill

Hi, Could someone tell me why this WinRar seems to be the standard for compressing files. Is it because the program is small?? Everything one downloads is in the *.rar compression. I started out with WinZip 20 plus years ago when one had to do everything from the DOS prompt. I still use WinZip. What is the reason for the popularity of WinRar?? Just curious.

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like you, I started out using WinZip for better part of my life and it was my default archiver - however, I always had a home-cooked version of WinRAR residing in all my systems.

Now, things have changed. WinRAR is my default archiver - everybody may have their own valid reasons, mine are:-

• WinRAR compresses to a more reduced size than WinZip
  • WinRAR is lighter in footprint and quicker to load - of late, WinZip has gotten bloated
  • WinZip had the edge in it's advanced file format extension .zipx - however, WinRAR is now at par with it's new .rar5 file format.

Have got some other reasons, too - the above 3 reason though, makes one understand why the Scene has always preferred WinRAR over WinZip.

Airstream_Bill

Like you, I started out using WinZip for better part of my life and it was my default archiver - however, I always had a home-cooked version of WinRAR residing in all my systems.

Now, things have changed. WinRAR is my default archiver - everybody may have their own valid reasons, mine are:-

• WinRAR compresses to a more reduced size than WinZip
  • WinRAR is lighter in footprint and quicker to load - of late, WinZip has gotten bloated
  • WinZip had the edge in it's advanced file format extension .zipx - however, WinRAR is now at par with it's new .rar5 file format.

Have got some other reasons, too - the above 3 reason though, makes one understand why the Scene has always preferred WinRAR over WinZip.

Good Day to you and thanks for the info. I think I will give WinRar a spin again. I was hoping that you personally would answer my inquary into its popularity. Thanks Again.

Many more will add valuable inputs - they are a bit shy. :P

BTW, those who like to jazz up their WinRAR with sexy themes can check at the following link:-

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/160478-can-windows-8-be-made-more-beautiful-than-windows-7/page-12#entry571081

This is another of WinRAR capabilities - easier to theme, so as to complement the rest of the OS skin.

Hi, i want to ask, how to make .rar5 archive file ???

I have selected .rar5 format file, but after archieving, format file always .rar ??? whats wrong with my winrar 5 ???

christantoan

I have selected .rar5 format file, but after archieving, format file always .rar ??? whats wrong with my winrar 5 ???

the extension is the same for rar and rar5 files

SnakeMasteR

Hi, Could someone tell me why this WinRar seems to be the standard for compressing files. Is it because the program is small?? Everything one downloads is in the *.rar compression. I started out with WinZip 20 plus years ago when one had to do everything from the DOS prompt. I still use WinZip. What is the reason for the popularity of WinRar?? Just curious.

There are a bunch of other archive formats and containers, that can give the same or even better compression depending on the compression method and are used very often, i think it really depends on what you wanna compress and how much time you will spend for this.

7z, Arc, CAB, as example. Many of them have GUIs but with a bunch of commandline switches, those give the possibility to get massive compression ratios, if the system resources allow it (you have time, a good CPU and much RAM).

WinRAR, 7-Zip and WinZip are popular and there are a bunch of others (IZArc, UHARC, PeaZip etc.). WinRAR is very easy to use, fast and popular because of this, easier and faster than with commandline compression options but it's not the best compression software depending on the compression rate.

I personally have and use 7-zip, FreeArc and WinRAR for different needs, only one of them doesn't fit. :)

It has much to do with what the scene has chosen to use also. On a side note: I recall using lzh and DMS (iso like) on Amiga :)

• Administrator

Agree with WinRAR being faster and offering better compression.

However, on my quad core processor, 7-Zip's 7z compresses 4 times the speed and atleast 20% better compression 9 out of 10 times than WinRAR. WinRAR says it offers multicore compression, which I have enabled too, but somehow it doesn't come even near 7-zip's speed here.

Since Christantoan has already answered your query, I'll just add something else to it - please do not use .rar5 as your default unless you are damn sure that every Recipient / User of that file archived by the new file format extension .rar5 is running the latest WinRAR V5 (from the compatibility point-of-view.) ;)

Going strictly by Bill's pre-requirement - I limited my posts (very consciously) to just WinZip and WinRAR.

Now that his need is fulfilled, I hope everyone can break free by chiming in valuable tid-bits about other compression tools, as well :)

Off-topic:-

One of the best compressions I noticed was afforded by UHARC - the very best compressor though, remains yet unmentioned on this page (I'm not describing it, either - for security reasons.) :(

Whoopenstein

I think originally, the reason WinRAR took off is because it was the 1st one to make a single archive spanning multiple files. This was very usefull on usenet (newsgroups). It is very common for some postings to be incomplete in the newsgroups and instead of re-posting the whole archive, you would just repost one part of the RAR set.

I used to use PKZip for Windows, but when RAR files started showing up on newgroups I switched over and never looked back.

BTW, those who like to jazz up their WinRAR with sexy themes can check at the following link:-

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/160478-can-windows-8-be-made-more-beautiful-than-windows-7/page-12#entry571081

This is another of WinRAR capabilities - easier to theme, so as to complement the rest of the OS skin.

Added 2 more premium themes at the above mentioned link.

Archived