Done, finished, solved=>100% free AV=>Thanks !

smallhagrid

• Administrator

You folks don't know what your talking about on this one..Antivirus DOESNT cover very many Trojans,Worms,Rootkits..Do your research like I have done..You my friends are misinformed on this matter. Yes some..but it's main job is viruses. MalwareBytes is the best antimalware program we have right now. Hitman Is a close 2nd!!!!!!!!

For proof, let me quote Wikipedia:

Antivirus or anti-virus software is software used to prevent, detect and remove malware (of all descriptions), such as: computer viruses, malicious BHOs, hijackers, ransomware, keyloggers, backdoors, rootkits, trojan horses, worms, malicious LSPs, dialers, fraudtools, adware and spyware.

Source.

There are 20 people saying here that AVs offer protection against them, still you don't agree? Even Wiki is saying the same.

PS. I wouldn't recommend Security Essentials on any PC.

• Replies 82
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this discussion ninth will never end .... In addition, the author of the thread asked a free antivirus. Point. I do not understand all the talk and subsequent inconclusive, for the user's request, regarding the non-necessity of using an antivirus.

The user asked for a free antivirus:him and all of us have suggested different. End.For me, I would have closed the discussion..... ;)

smallhagrid

Thanks Flaubert:

I think this discussion ninth will never end .... In addition, the author of the thread asked a free antivirus. Point. I do not understand all the talk and subsequent inconclusive, for the user's request, regarding the non-necessity of using an antivirus.
The user asked for a free antivirus:him and all of us have suggested different. End.For me, I would have closed the discussion..... ;)

Much good info was tossed around here and it is a helpful thread for me already.

As to using NO protection, that is not a choice for me - for others, perhaps - their choice of course.

IMO the words 'microsoft' and 'security' NEVER belong in the same vicinity (like 'gubbermint intelligence'...maximum oxymoronic.).

I have a few to try on an older, spare box that is dusty; for me that will be a good test for slowdowns and so that I can see them in action - but right now this is enough info for sure and I give thanks to all who pitched in=> Thanks !!

A layered defense is the best. You just don't want to rely on an AV. Any good security setup includes multiple layers to keep things secured. Do you have to us an AV? No but most lay people will be most comfortable with that. You could use just system hardening techniques and weekly on-demand scans and be ok. Most folks wouldn't be able to handle it. I think that a good rule of thumb would be AV, firewall and HIPS. Most security suites have this built into one. One of the best requires no AV and is really light. Policy restriction, light virtualization and sandboxing. It all depends on how crazy you want to get. I only run a cloud AV, Anti-exe and sandbox. I haven't had an infection, like ever. Of course I'm also careful where I go and what I download.

yeah...100% agree, thread become |into AVs war again. Should be closed :D .

smallhagrid

Funny how folks keep adding opinions unrelated to what I asked...

As I said several posts back...

Much good info was tossed around here and it is a helpful thread for me already.

I have a few to try on an older, spare box that is dusty; for me that will be a good test for slowdowns and so that I can see them in action - but right now this is enough info for sure and I give thanks to all who pitched in=> Thanks !!

Hey mods - job well done - thanks - please close this thread.

Thanks.

Archived